#41  
Old 03-28-2019, 06:08 AM
Nenja's Avatar
Nenja Nenja is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Tjörn, Sweden.
Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 626
Niced 194 Times in 125 Posts
Default

I'm gonna come here and bump this topic.

Anyone compared New star Wraith with a domey S-CD3? I'm curious wether I can ignore the stamp and buy the pretty ones for coloring reasons.

I've heard that the Ccd3 should be notebly less stable than the S-lines so I grabbed myself two semi-flat penned ones at the local store, 170ish and the bomb with control.
My Swirly-s's got notable dome which adds distance for controlled straight hyzers but makes it harder for me to get them gliding.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg _20190328_004945.jpg (87.8 KB, 163 views)
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-28-2019, 06:36 AM
jjmiller jjmiller is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: back in IN
Posts: 507
Niced 309 Times in 176 Posts
Default

This is a cool comparison thread. Also happens to align with my own recent curiosity. If anyone else finds it interesting, I took my calipers on a nerd mission to the local shop last weekend.

Wraiths have a rim width of .85”. So does the DD Hysteria, since it shares the Wraith’s rim. (The Dynamic Discs Trespass and Enforcer also measure .850”, fwiw...)

Surges have a rim width of ~.833”- same as the Thrasher, Punisher, and Machete.

CD3 has a rim width of ~.815”(I can’t remember if it was closer to .810” or .820” and didn’t write it down, but it was somewhere in the .81x” range). I don’t know what rim the CD3 borrows, but it’s the same width as an Orc.

I just thought all that was interesting because I had read that a CD3 used a Wraith rim, which it definitely doesn’t. Also thought it was interesting that a Punisher seems to just be a re-hashed Surge. I’m interested to see how a Kong compares.

Edit to add: For reference, Innova speed 9’s like the Firebird, Thunderbird, etc are around .750”, and a Destroyer measures in around .910ish.


Last edited by jjmiller; 03-28-2019 at 06:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-28-2019, 09:54 AM
Lumberjack504's Avatar
Lumberjack504 Lumberjack504 is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 474
Niced 173 Times in 120 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmiller View Post
This is a cool comparison thread. Also happens to align with my own recent curiosity. If anyone else finds it interesting, I took my calipers on a nerd mission to the local shop last weekend.

Wraiths have a rim width of .85”. So does the DD Hysteria, since it shares the Wraith’s rim. (The Dynamic Discs Trespass and Enforcer also measure .850”, fwiw...)

Surges have a rim width of ~.833”- same as the Thrasher, Punisher, and Machete.

CD3 has a rim width of ~.815”(I can’t remember if it was closer to .810” or .820” and didn’t write it down, but it was somewhere in the .81x” range). I don’t know what rim the CD3 borrows, but it’s the same width as an Orc.

I just thought all that was interesting because I had read that a CD3 used a Wraith rim, which it definitely doesn’t. Also thought it was interesting that a Punisher seems to just be a re-hashed Surge. I’m interested to see how a Kong compares.

Edit to add: For reference, Innova speed 9’s like the Firebird, Thunderbird, etc are around .750”, and a Destroyer measures in around .910ish.
Nice 'Murica units. Funny that the trespass (listed speed 12) has the same rim width as a speed 11 wraith. Perhaps their justification is the shallower depth.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-28-2019, 11:10 AM
XC_Eddy's Avatar
XC_Eddy XC_Eddy is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Escanaba, MI
Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 712
Niced 676 Times in 323 Posts
Default

Curious that the CD3 is an 11 speed when it shares a rim width with the 10 Speed Orc.

Ima just keep throwing my wraiths because I like them.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-28-2019, 03:26 PM
Bogey H8tr Bogey H8tr is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Quad Cities, Iowa
Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 86
Niced 12 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC_Eddy View Post
Curious that the CD3 is an 11 speed when it shares a rim width with the 10 Speed Orc.

Ima just keep throwing my wraiths because I like them.
I've got to agree. While I thought about trying the s-line CD3, the current run of wraith is so fantastic I didn't bother. If anyone reading is think about trying a wraith you might as well, they're flying really solid.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 03-28-2019, 08:28 PM
jro_your_boat's Avatar
jro_your_boat jro_your_boat is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: NC
Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 19
Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey H8tr View Post
I've got to agree. While I thought about trying the s-line CD3, the current run of wraith is so fantastic I didn't bother. If anyone reading is think about trying a wraith you might as well, they're flying really solid.
I'm interested in trying out a Wraith compared to a CD3 I recently acquired. Would buying directly from the Innova store be the best way to guarantee you're getting the current run?
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-28-2019, 09:59 PM
Bogey H8tr Bogey H8tr is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Quad Cities, Iowa
Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 86
Niced 12 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jro_your_boat View Post
I'm interested in trying out a Wraith compared to a CD3 I recently acquired. Would buying directly from the Innova store be the best way to guarantee you're getting the current run?
You can get them directly from the innova factory store, or any star wraith in your local shop would be the current run. They're embossed "WRAITH" on the bottom just as all discs are now. I like my wraiths with some pop top to them, but you could pick through the wraiths and decide which dome you like best. You can't go wrong. To me, they fly like I want a destroyer to fly. Plus, there are usually more wraiths in stock (better colors, stamps, etc.) compared to destroyers
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 03-28-2019, 11:48 PM
MNputterGUY MNputterGUY is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 24
Niced 7 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Pro wriath is maybe the best 10 bucks you can spend

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 03-29-2019, 12:11 PM
jro_your_boat's Avatar
jro_your_boat jro_your_boat is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: NC
Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 19
Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

thanks all - I'll be placing an order for a Star and Pro!
Reply With Quote
 

  #50  
Old 03-29-2019, 12:40 PM
Guurn Guurn is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mpls, Mn
Years Playing: 33.9
Courses Played: 90
Posts: 742
Niced 21 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Are stiff pro wraiths an east coast thing? All I ever see here is those floppy understable ones here in Minnesota.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Surge vs. Wraith DBarb Discs 42 04-08-2019 12:17 PM
ISO S-line CD3, 165-169 C-line CD3 familydogs The Marketplace 3 11-30-2017 04:22 PM
Wraith vs. Surge (again) kcplease Discs 8 06-01-2010 01:29 AM
Surge vs Wraith, why Kaikias Discs 33 02-23-2010 09:57 AM
Surge vs. Wraith mickas Discs 28 01-29-2010 03:54 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.