Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: What do you find most annoying about the new disc golf scene?
Kids, damn kids on my lawn. It never used to be popular and crowded. 27 17.53%
The sun is hotter than it used to be! 17 11.04%
The attitude that Ed's dead long live McBeth.. Don't these kids know where we came from! 0 0%
Trading "hippies" for "hipsters" 14 9.09%
Too many discs! Back in my day it was a putter, mid and driver. 10 6.49%
The reclassification of my current distance driver as a "fairway driver" 4 2.60%
Mowed and manicured courses, back in my day the rough was rough! 3 1.95%
Thumber, tomahawks, OH.. That's not how a disc is supposed to fly dumbass 8 5.19%
Some 14 year old throwing 200' further than me. 52 33.77%
I've got my own complaint.. See below. 19 12.34%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2019, 09:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 5
Niced 932 Times in 646 Posts

Damn man it took me the better part of 5 years to get my FH into reasonable shape.. I'm also LHBH and we make the best doubles partners!!

Be careful trying to learn OH shots I've seen that shot take down a few people with injuries... it's nice to have but meh, it doesn't go far for me.
Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2019, 09:41 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 170 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
Damn man it took me the better part of 5 years to get my FH into reasonable shape.. I'm also LHBH and we make the best doubles partners!!

Be careful trying to learn OH shots I've seen that shot take down a few people with injuries... it's nice to have but meh, it doesn't go far for me.

^lol yeah thats where I turn into an old fart.

i had to learn the side arm from scratch because being left handed I never had that sidearm infield flip that righties learn when playing baseball. i thought having a baseball and racket ball background would make learning a sidearm easy, but all i had was pretty clean backhand form and zero sidearm during my first years.

I'll see some guy (usually a young athletic dude) throw a thumber and just park normally difficult hole and be jealous and think to myself... "i'm going to learn how to do that" then think: "hell no, I'm not going to eff up my shoulder by learning that garbage cheating overhead shot. GET OFF MY LAWN WITH THAT NEW AGE THUMBER CRAP".

also I've usually cashed in doubles just because I'm the left handed guy who can make up all your right handed deficiency dude. but then again I've been paired with fellow left handed or RHFH dominate players and turned into an angry old man cursing the disc golf gods sick humor at doubles parter fate.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by runningDoc; 05-06-2019 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:50 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 140
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 479 Times in 215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
You're right I tend to lean towards a friendly fella kinda vernacular but it's not intended to be less inclusive. I was spending more time on funny poll answers than political correctness. Way to get codgery on it!
How about how goddam PC everything has to be these days...

Old 05-06-2019, 09:52 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.9
Courses Played: 145
Niced 366 Times in 159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningDoc View Post
I'm an newly 40yo fart and have a complaint about us older than 40 crowd:

Yo old guy: just because you can't throw a sidearm more than 199ft doesn't mean you have to expound that throwing a riskier backhand turnover is a better shot. moreover why is your backhand turnover garbage a better shot than a sidearm turnover?!
As many of you have heard Scott Stokely say, forehands weren't real prevalent 20 years ago and more. I was primarily a RHFH young man in the 1990's and it was fairly unusual. My closest friends used to call it "cheating."

It was easier for me to learn at the beginning of my DG career because I was fresh out of HS baseball. I couldn't throw a backhand farther than 250. It felt awkward.

I think in the backs of a lot of minds from that era, a backhand = proper Frisbee form and forehands were viewed with at least a little disdain by a lot of folks. It was considered amateurish. My guess is that it was also considered not as pretty to watch.

There weren't a lot of molds back then that lent themselves to forehands either. I had to throw X-Clones (and later Banshees), and once they hit their third or fourth tree, they got flippy and were useless. The same was true for the other overstable molds like Whippets, Vipers and even the mighty Ram. I never threw Vipers after I lost the one I had in Grand Woods' infamous pond on hole #6 before I knew what I was doing, but my Rams and Whippets would get flippy after four or five tree hits as well.

I loved lighter weight Whippets for overhand shots. It reminded me a lot of throwing a baseball from the outfield to home plate. First ace was with one.

At any rate, I wasn't using good form because it tore up my elbow by 2000. I've only now learned to lead with the elbow and cock the wrist and want to re-integrate the FH back into my arsenal. I've had some limited success in the practice field...with my old man Starlite Sidewinder, of course!

Old 05-06-2019, 09:56 AM

Years Playing: 33.1
Courses Played: 14
Niced 28 Times in 14 Posts

I have plenty to do just trying to get my RHBH to an acceptable level, been at it since 2017, but damn I thought I'd be better then I am by now.

My sidearm is even worse which is hard to believe, the discs flutters and goes into some kind of weird type of roller, it's ridiculous.

I wonder what the flight numbers are on a whamo frisbee perhaps I'll just empty my bag and use those.

Old 05-06-2019, 10:02 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.9
Courses Played: 159
Niced 466 Times in 203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Tuna View Post
How about how goddam PC everything has to be these days...

How about people that don't realize being politically correct simply means using language that is not offensive? My parents taught me this way back in the 70's. They just called it being polite.

Old 05-06-2019, 10:07 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 170 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
As many of you have heard Scott Stokely say, forehands weren't real prevalent 20 years ago and more. I was primarily a RHFH young man in the 1990's and it was fairly unusual. My closest friends used to call it "cheating."

There weren't a lot of molds back then that lent themselves to forehands either. I had to throw X-Clones (and later Banshees), and once they hit their third or fourth tree, they got flippy and were useless. The same was true for the other overstable molds like Whippets, Vipers and even the mighty Ram. I never threw Vipers after I lost the one I had in Grand Woods' infamous pond on hole #6 before I knew what I was doing, but my Rams and Whippets would get flippy after four or five tree hits as well.

At any rate, I wasn't using good form because it tore up my elbow by 2000. I've only now learned to lead with the elbow and cock the wrist and want to re-integrate the FH back into my arsenal. I've had some limited success in the practice field...with my old man Starlite Sidewinder, of course!
Starlite sidewinder for the win!

I kind of hate the argument that us fellow old farts use saying "there were less overstable sidearm friendly molds back in my day" as a reason for not learning the sidearm.

because ultimate players have been flicking super duper flippy deep frisbee lids 200-300ft on frozen ropes to pinpoint moving targets with hyzer/anhyzer since the Nixon administration. it surprises me that its only now that you'll see modern players flick not overstable baseline plastic discs like ricky with his harp/pig 250ft as a consistent upshot or kevin jones flicking putters too.

also its totally possible to sidearm dx/pro pigs far: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...2&postcount=54

i totally agree with you though that a properly thrown backhand just looks beautiful compared to a sidearm. a good shot is a good shot regardless, but sidearm has the odd look like a left handed ball golfer.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by runningDoc; 05-06-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:10 AM
* Ace Member *

My lovely lady got me a shirt "how can I offend you today" .. Back when I was living in Calgary I used to hang out with a "cool" coffee crowd.. My mouth has no filter sometimes, what I'm thinking comes out, anyhow after some things which were generally funny this Peter dude would say "and Captain Inappropriate strikes again!".

Last week, snuggling I accidentally used the phrase "that's nice I KINDA like it".. I corrected as soon as it came out, we had a giggle but I've been hearing the word " kinda" a lot for over a week.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:23 AM
* Ace Member *

I FH an Envy and a Tangent.. If needed I can do a Comet too.... For a while there it was "Princess sissy flick" is in the teebox.. I'm glad I can throw it with confidence, now that I think about it, it's probably been over 8 years to get some basic mechanics down.

Yeah I'm useless with a RHFH player as a partner or the other lefty in our group.. We get to the same holes and it's "did you learn a Flick yet?" No... "did you?" . Hmmm OH or roller then?

Its funny I got an electron Spin (understable) six months ago and it really helped for BH on those holes.. Release flat and it turns on its own... got a 172 N Halloween Envy last week and it's ideal for my short and weak FH. It's like all of a sudden in the last month enough pieces dribbled into place and now I've got that shot. I'd like to thank the "swim move" that I may or may not be performing correctly haha.

Old 05-06-2019, 10:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,627 Times in 1,941 Posts

Can I post even though I'm 30? I play like a master's player though...

Niced: (2)