* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.3
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,974 Times in 1,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddL View Post
To go further down this rabbit hole...

What are your thoughts on implementing a policy within a club/organization something along the lines of: Any club member who solicits any sponsorship for our upcoming tournament will receive a 10% payment. If Joe Discgolfer volunteers his time and effort to help out the TD and manages to get a $500 sponsorship from a local company, the TD pays him $50 as a thank you and puts the other $450 to added cash.

I've heard of similar setups where a TD will give away free entry to the tournament for any player who brings in $xxx in sponsorship. I don't know how they would necessarily account for it in their finances page, but it probably doesn't matter in the end. $50 to the player, player uses that $50 to purchase their entry, $450 to added cash vs $500 to added cash but free entry.

Would players be more receptive to this type of setup? The TD might end up paying himself a lot of money, but players might be fine with it knowing that anybody is eligible for the payment. It just so happened that the TD did most of the fundraising.
I see nothing wrong with that at all. I have offered something along those lines for my biggest tournament for years. I had one player play for free this year by sponsoring the am player packs through his business ($350 for 50 hotstamped discs).

Because I run a pay-for-play course, the primary incentive I offer as commission for sponsorship (or tips that lead to sponsors) is free play. For every $20 raised, they get a free day pass to the course ($7 value). If they raise $500 or more, they get a free annual pass (a $250 value) By doing that, it's not just tournament players who can be incentivized to help, or be a sponsor.

But if we're talking public park courses with no fees, I don't see how a commission of whatever gets raised is unreasonable.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2019, 01:22 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31
Courses Played: 702
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,895 Times in 840 Posts

Quote:
To go further down this rabbit hole...

What are your thoughts on implementing a policy within a club/organization something along the lines of: Any club member who solicits any sponsorship for our upcoming tournament will receive a 10% payment. If Joe Discgolfer volunteers his time and effort to help out the TD and manages to get a $500 sponsorship from a local company, the TD pays him $50 as a thank you and puts the other $450 to added cash.

I've heard of similar setups where a TD will give away free entry to the tournament for any player who brings in $xxx in sponsorship. I don't know how they would necessarily account for it in their finances page, but it probably doesn't matter in the end. $50 to the player, player uses that $50 to purchase their entry, $450 to added cash vs $500 to added cash but free entry.

Would players be more receptive to this type of setup? The TD might end up paying himself a lot of money, but players might be fine with it knowing that anybody is eligible for the payment. It just so happened that the TD did most of the fundraising.
Back in the 90s when I was running more events for the Minnesota Frisbee Association, we had a standing arrangement where members who brought in sponsorship of $100 or more could get a 10% commission. With regard to TDs or clubs pocketing "excess" sponsor money, consider that savvy sponsors with larger donations are likely to have some requirements on how the money is used which may includes expenses such as paying for banners, tee signs, ads, player pack items, along with requests that the money goes to specific divisions such as women pros. So there may not be as much excess added cash as one might think depending on these sponsor requirements.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 88
Niced 2,021 Times in 807 Posts

Why the **** haven't I thought of this before? This is a brilliant idea. I cannot tell you how much I HATE getting sponsors and there are some fellas in our club that are simply brilliant at it.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-01-2019, 08:08 AM
Par Member

Niced 138 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
Yeah, if you're pocketing cash, probably not something you want to emphasize. But as others have said: it's 100% the TD's right, as long as they're fulfilling all promises/obligations to the players, sponsors, and the PDGA.

If tourney profits are going back into course development, upgrades, or maintenance then THAT might be something you want to advertise.
This is what I was considering and think the players would be 99.99% behind the idea. The course owner puts in days of labor, a lot of love and his own finances.

I do believe that if this option ever repeats, I will announce that the extra $XXX is going to the course owner. 70 players will cheer and be happy he is receiving some due rewards the other 2 will never be happy and I am fine with that.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:10 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 42
Niced 63 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Related question: If the TD of a C tier raises $1000 in sponsorship and puts $400 to payout, $100 to lunch, and $500 into his own pocket as payment, is there anything wrong with that?
So long as the sponsor and player expectations were met, nothing wrong with that.

Tournament finances are fungible. All revenue and income on one side and all expenses on the other. So long as the players received payouts up to the minimum PDGA standard and up to the advertised expectation and the sponsor received the expected exposure, I see no problem with the TD paying himself and his staff for the work. $500 is $10 per hour for 50 hours which appears reasonable to me.

Old 11-10-2019, 09:19 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 115
Niced 218 Times in 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chains Bailey View Post
This is what I was considering and think the players would be 99.99% behind the idea. The course owner puts in days of labor, a lot of love and his own finances.

I do believe that if this option ever repeats, I will announce that the extra $XXX is going to the course owner. 70 players will cheer and be happy he is receiving some due rewards the other 2 will never be happy and I am fine with that.
Spoken like a true Biscoe disciple. Agree completely. As a course owner, if you have a problem with me getting your forfeited entry (non-emergency), you're likely not welcome back without us having a conversation. I shudder to think about the $ put into even my small course in terms of diesel, baskets, and let's just completely ignore labor. For a public course, a donation to the local club would also be a nice gesture.

KP

Niced: (1)