Old 12-28-2019, 01:34 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 0.5
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 28 Times in 22 Posts
Default Newb question about throwing

I have been focusing on my form and using the one step drill in my practice routine and it has really helped to get my throw in sync and help with a lot of other issues I'm having. My question is are you aloud to use that during a round? Like if I tee off can I just do a one step throw? Would this also be considered a run up when using it from the fairway?

I googled a bunch and couldn't find anything and the rules didn't say anything specifically about this.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2019, 06:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 127
Niced 3,902 Times in 1,646 Posts

I'm not sure what the one-step drill is, but this generalized summary might help:

Off the tee, at the moment of release, at least one foot must be on the pad. The other can be in the air, but not touching the ground off the pad.

For a fairway shot, at the moment of release, one foot must be on the lie (immediately behind the marker). The other foot can be anywhere on the ground behind the marker, or in the air.

The important part is "at the moment of release". Whatever happens before that moment, or after that moment, doesn't matter. (Once you're within 10 meters of the basket, "after that moment" matters, but I presume that's not what you're thinking about.)

Niced: (1)
Old 12-28-2019, 06:53 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 0.5
Courses Played: 2
Niced 28 Times in 22 Posts

Thanks for the help. Basically the drill is the last part of the x step. Eliminates the run up to concentrate on reach back to follow through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pleUjYKwf0g
Old 12-29-2019, 08:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,222 Times in 1,962 Posts

Legal.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,163 Times in 673 Posts

I would also recommend learning how to throw form a stand still where you don't pick up either feet off the ground. Will come in handy for fairway/approach shots. The 1 step can be a little hard to always plant your lead foot behind the marker.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:13 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.9
Courses Played: 150
Niced 460 Times in 210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
The important part is "at the moment of release". Whatever happens before that moment, or after that moment, doesn't matter. (Once you're within 10 meters of the basket, "after that moment" matters, but I presume that's not what you're thinking about.)
Do a run up, stand still, run 20 steps, take 1 step, do a somersault, walk on your hands ... absolutely none of that matters. The ONLY thing that matters is what David said above. One point of contact has to be right behind your disc, and no points of contact can be closer than your disc. (And you do it within 30 seconds and don’t break any tree limbs in the process)
Old 12-30-2019, 02:52 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 357 Times in 218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddL View Post
Do a run up, stand still, run 20 steps, take 1 step, do a somersault, walk on your hands ... absolutely none of that matters. The ONLY thing that matters is what David said above. One point of contact has to be right behind your disc, and no points of contact can be closer than your disc. (And you do it within 30 seconds and don’t break any tree limbs in the process)
you can walk on your hands, but must hold the disc in your teeth. if disc touches the ground, it's a penalty stroke, I believe....
Old 12-30-2019, 03:54 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 213 Times in 111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zontar View Post
you can walk on your hands, but must hold the disc in your teeth. if disc touches the ground, it's a penalty stroke, I believe....
I believe... that what you believe... is not true.

You can drag the disc along the ground if you want. There's nothing in the rules about what a disc touches. The propulsion and release of a disc in order to change is position defines a throw. And coming to rest defines 'the end' of a throw.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2019, 09:22 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 357 Times in 218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post

You can drag the disc along the ground if you want. There's nothing in the rules about what a disc touches. The propulsion and release of a disc in order to change is position defines a throw. And coming to rest defines 'the end' of a throw.

dang. now I have to completely rethink my "hand-walk x-step" that I was crushing with

Old 12-31-2019, 09:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 213
Niced 350 Times in 212 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post

Quote:
dang. now I have to completely rethink my "hand-walk x-step" that I was crushing with
I. B. L.