Old 12-31-2019, 09:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.9
Courses Played: 248
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,289 Times in 898 Posts
Default Published tournament lists

I have been reading a discussion of the PDGA Competition Manual Section 1.02. The discussion surrounded reading the document as part of the discussion, it seems that many TDs in this state are in violation of 1.02.H

“Only paid registrants should be listed on the published tournament list.”

This seems to read you cannot do cashless registration at PDGA events.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2019, 10:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 42
Niced 64 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I have been reading a discussion of the PDGA Competition Manual Section 1.02. The discussion surrounded reading the document as part of the discussion, it seems that many TDs in this state are in violation of 1.02.H

Any thoughts?
What is a "cashless registration"?
Old 12-31-2019, 10:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 213
Niced 349 Times in 211 Posts

Quote:

Any thoughts?
A player can "pay" in a variety of ways besides cash -- credit card, electronic, borrowing $$ from the TD, etc. What it means is don't put players in with the "I'll gladly pay you after the event" promise.
Old 12-31-2019, 10:58 PM
* Ace Member *

It is pretty common practice around here to do, cashless prereg. Simply put your name and PDGA number in the comments section of Disc Golf Scene and a place is held in the tournament. You pay at the event, the morning of the event. Far more common in non sanctioned events, but certainly a common practice even in sanctioned tournaments.

Our club does not do this in sanctioned events, but there is a threshold of Paypal money that can be reached to enable an audit of the club. This is why we sometimes do this toward the end of the year in some of our doubles, charity or non sanctioned outings.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 42
Niced 64 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
It is pretty common practice around here to do, cashless prereg. Simply put your name and PDGA number in the comments section of Disc Golf Scene and a place is held in the tournament. You pay at the event, the morning of the event. Far more common in non sanctioned events, but certainly a common practice even in sanctioned tournaments.

Our club does not do this in sanctioned events, but there is a threshold of Paypal money that can be reached to enable an audit of the club. This is why we sometimes do this toward the end of the year in some of our doubles, charity or non sanctioned outings.
I only run a couple events a year, so we don't have too many PayPal transactions. I think payment at the time of registration should be key to hold a spot. Registration without payment can lead to a higher no show rate and would waste a spot for someone who was willing to pay up front.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-31-2019, 11:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW III View Post
I only run a couple events a year, so we don't have too many PayPal transactions. I think payment at the time of registration should be key to hold a spot. Registration without payment can lead to a higher no show rate and would waste a spot for someone who was willing to pay up front.
ABSOLUTELY. Counterproductive for the tournament, staff and is a nightmare, at best, come morning of the tournament. We put a lot of folks in place to move the players through the pay process, but given CTP, Ace Pool, potential raffles..... it just makes for a longer line in the morning, as they already have to move through the player pack process.

But, the threat of an audit and potential liability to certain club members is real. Granted, I am extremely confident of our bookkeeping and money handling process, but putting your life on the line for a hobby is pretty scary.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 127
Niced 3,875 Times in 1,639 Posts

Whether it gums up the process at registration depends on what would have happened with out it. If the TD didn't allow players to "register now (in advance), pay later (morning of)", would they have paid with the registration? Or would they be registering and paying the morning of, which really slows things down.

The wisdom of doing so, is another thing.

At any rate, I don't see it happening at sanctioned events around here---at least not to any scale that would be noticeable.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,411 Times in 977 Posts

I think the reasoning behind this had more to do with TD's placing top players on lists when they weren't really coming than it did with how TD's handle money.

I have (and will continue to) always let players reserve spots for upcoming events without payment. Only thing it really does in the big scheme is generate a little more work for me which I am OK with. If they fail to show without notice then they no longer are allowed the privilege.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-01-2020, 08:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 213
Niced 349 Times in 211 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
I think the reasoning behind this had more to do with TD's placing top players on lists when they weren't really coming than it did with how TD's handle money.

I have (and will continue to) always let players reserve spots for upcoming events without payment. Only thing it really does in the big scheme is generate a little more work for me which I am OK with. If they fail to show without notice then they no longer are allowed the privilege.
That would likely be hard to work here where 180-player tournaments REGULARLY fill two, sometimes three weeks in advance, often with waitlists. To have players be able to just write their name down would be cra-cra, given the competition for spots. In your area's situation, perhaps the TD is actually putting the money in for those players and then taking the money from them morning of to reimburse himself (in order to be legal). But it seems sketchy as ru originally implied.

Niced: (1)

Old 01-01-2020, 09:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 194
Niced 735 Times in 478 Posts

Quote:
Does the PDGA rule apply to DG scene lists? I do notice, around here in WV and Pittsburgh, that the "not yet paid up" "registrants" don't show up on the PDGA list even though they show up on disc golf scene.

Now a bit off topic: I will say, my biggest pet peeve about registering for tournaments is the $1-2 that DG scene gets from me every time I register. I would much rather be able to pay on the day of (impractical because it wouldn't hold my spot) or through some non-Paypal or non-3rd party method.

Last edited by armiller; 01-01-2020 at 09:50 PM.