Old 12-28-2019, 09:46 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 933 Times in 780 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
The Rat is nowhere near the Zone for reliable overstability. Nor was/is the AviarX3, for that matter.
Oh, okay the Rat and AviarX3 sound like Innova Harp like discs then. I have seen Harp fly in person a guy I know he had the Harp in his bag before he used the Wizard for both longer putts and approach shots.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2019, 10:36 PM
I'm With Her

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,368 Times in 1,727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Oh, okay the Rat and AviarX3 sound like Innova Harp like discs then. I have seen Harp fly in person a guy I know he had the Harp in his bag before he used the Wizard for both longer putts and approach shots.
That would be a closer analogy. I used to bag the Harp, and the harder I threw it the more it straightened out. I had to finesse the Harp to utilize its fade, and that led to consistency issues. The Rat may be a bit more OS than the Harp, but not by all that much.

By way of contrast, I can throw the Zone as hard as I want (and as hard as I can in some cases) and it will fade reliably. From what others ate posting to this thread, it's sounding like the Ruin is more Zone-'ish' than like the Rat or Harp.

Niced: (2)
Old 12-28-2019, 10:53 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 25
Niced 933 Times in 780 Posts

Quote:
That would be a closer analogy. I used to bag the Harp, and the harder I threw it the more it straightened out. I had to finesse the Harp to utilize its fade, and that led to consistency issues. The Rat may be a bit more OS than the Harp, but not by all that much.

By way of contrast, I can throw the Zone as hard as I want (and as hard as I can in some cases) and it will fade reliably. From what others ate posting to this thread, it's sounding like the Ruin is more Zone-'ish' than like the Rat or Harp.
I tend to do the same with a Shark, finises the disc or more power down just to have disc fade more. However the way I am going about approaching I am not doing the very short midrange throw, something I will do with the Shark as well when needed knowing the mold will be more straight. I am throwing at about putting speed with the Shark for approach until the very long approach/very short midrange shots that are at slow midrange speed. I like that method over the use a OS disc like a Pig, Zone, or Sinus as if I am using power to get a disc to the basket It is harder for me to have disc land in right spot for me (overshooting is common) even if I am using a disc with no glide disc. Of the three most common OS approach discs, Pig, Zone, or Sinus, the Sinus is the one I could use as the mold has the best soft plastic though I bet the new production R-Pro Pig could do just as well having only tried the old stiff Pro Pig of the 2000's.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-29-2019, 07:56 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 236 Times in 116 Posts

Quote:

I can throw the Ruin as hard as I want and have zero fear of it flipping over. Even at full power, it has strong fade.

Old 01-03-2020, 03:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 71
Niced 288 Times in 134 Posts

I ordered one each of the x-outs to mess around with and I was really hoping this was going to make the bag, but it isn't. This thing flies as advertised. Compared to a zone it felt a little slimmer, faster, and more overstable than my esp zones I normally use. It is everything it is supposed to be. The one issue for me was that it just felt terrible in my hand for forehands and that is a huge deal breaker for a disc in this slot. That rim is pretty gnarly and it just did not feel right in my hand which lead to me having a lot of bad releases that I don't experience with a zone. Backhand, I loved the thing, but I need this type of disc to do both. If you like innova plastics better than discrafts I would give this thing a shot and hope that it fits your hand better than it does mine.

Old 01-03-2020, 07:54 PM
I'm With Her

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusch_bag View Post
I ordered one each of the x-outs to mess around with and I was really hoping this was going to make the bag, but it isn't. This thing flies as advertised. Compared to a zone it felt a little slimmer, faster, and more overstable than my esp zones I normally use. It is everything it is supposed to be. The one issue for me was that it just felt terrible in my hand for forehands and that is a huge deal breaker for a disc in this slot. That rim is pretty gnarly and it just did not feel right in my hand which lead to me having a lot of bad releases that I don't experience with a zone. Backhand, I loved the thing, but I need this type of disc to do both. If you like innova plastics better than discrafts I would give this thing a shot and hope that it fits your hand better than it does mine.
Thanks for the report. I ordered one of the X-outs, also, but it hasn't arrived yet. I don't throw much backhand, so I hope it'll act like you're describing on my backhand throws.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:13 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 7
Niced 369 Times in 215 Posts

Quote:

Didn't you use to baseline versions of the harp? I found that the harp holds up very well in vip. The fade isn't Firebird strong, but it's still considerable

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2020, 03:48 PM
I'm With Her

Quote:
Originally Posted by wims View Post
Didn't you use to baseline versions of the harp? I found that the harp holds up very well in vip. The fade isn't Firebird strong, but it's still considerable.
I have Harps in BT Hard and Tournament (TP) plastics. Never tried one in VIP plastic. Even my TP Harp would go pretty straight with less fade than expected if I threw it hard. So I switched to the Zone.

Quote:
Thanks for the report. I ordered one of the X-outs, also, but it hasn't arrived yet. I don't throw much backhand, so I hope it'll act like you're describing on my backhand throws.
I just got in my X-out Ruin. No chance to throw it yet, as it's been raining all day. But that rim... wowwww... it's the most concave rim I've ever seen. Has a micro-bead which feels sharp; might have to lightly sand that flashing down. It's going to be interesting to see how the Ruin does...
Old 01-04-2020, 05:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 71
Niced 288 Times in 134 Posts

Yeah that rim is something. I even sanded it down a bit and it still took a few layers of skin off trying to forehand it.

Old 01-05-2020, 02:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.9
Courses Played: 76
Niced 181 Times in 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusch_bag View Post
Yeah that rim is something. I even sanded it down a bit and it still took a few layers of skin off trying to forehand it.
Quote:
I just got in my X-out Ruin. No chance to throw it yet, as it's been raining all day. But that rim... wowwww... it's the most concave rim I've ever seen. Has a micro-bead which feels sharp; might have to lightly sand that flashing down. It's going to be interesting to see how the Ruin does...
I was excited to try out the Ruin...now I'm not so sure. I almost pulled the trigger on one I-Blend and one C-Blend to test out. You guys are making me think twice about ordering. I'm not worried about how it feels in my hand for backhand. I'm much more picky about how my discs feel when it comes to forehand. If I dont like how the Ruin feels in my sidearm grip, it won't even have a chance to make my bag.