Old 11-05-2015, 10:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 150 Times in 97 Posts
Default Heat vs Avenger SS vs Undertow

So I have a question regarding how much these discs overlap on one another. I am looking at all versions in either Z or SP plastic. Curious how they compare for turnovers, hyzer-flips, and annys in particular, however if there is anything else you think might be useful let me know.

http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/cont...6624475536882O

I included a teebird for a reference point.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2015, 11:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.9
Courses Played: 86
Niced 72 Times in 35 Posts

i don't know about the undertow, but for me, my ar heat is a more stable(hss) and further flying than the z avenger ss's i've thrown. anny lines are pretty similar as you might imagine. i don't have the snap to get it to flip up, so it's basically laser straight out to 350' for me.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:21 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 18.1
Courses Played: 97
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 16 Times in 15 Posts

If you are looking at understable control drivers, you should consider both the Champion Sidewinder and the Champion Roadrunner. Roadrunner compares to the Heat and Sidewinder compares to the Avenger SS.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 49
Niced 475 Times in 317 Posts

The Heat definitely is more stable than an Avenger SS. I really like the Heat as a solid fairway. It fits a speed that my Prodigys don't have. I don't like the H-Series, so the Heat was a good 9-Speed for me for a while. I've recently switched over to a Sampo and I'm loving it! The VIP Sampos are quite understable and solid for turnovers (around 10, 6, -1, 1) and the Elasto are more OS (10, 6, -.5, 2) I haven't thrown much DGA, but the few I've thrown seem dead on with their flight ratings.

Of the three you've listed, I would say a Z Heat would be a great choice. Solid for hyzer-flips, turnovers that still finish flat to left, and straight tunnel shots.

Cheers.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 49
Niced 475 Times in 317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUGNIFICENT763 View Post
If you are looking at understable control drivers, you should consider both the Champion Sidewinder and the Champion Roadrunner. Roadrunner compares to the Heat and Sidewinder compares to the Avenger SS.
Sidewinder is another solid entry. (though I cringe suggesting Innova) It's a turnover master. Won't go full flip and roller, but will hold that Anny line for a LOOOONG time. Released flat to slight Anny, it will turn and hold it until just before ending it's line.

Another option is a Prodigy M4 or DGA Squall. Both are sneakily long for Mids and hold solid turnover lines until the end of flight.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 227
Niced 74 Times in 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reniger View Post
DGA Squall... sneakily long for Mids and hold solid turnover lines until the end of flight.
SP Squall replaced my Undertow for turnovers out to 350', and a Glow Squall replaced the SP because it's a little better at holding a turning line to the ground and for hyzer flipping.

Someone on here said it best: "Undertows under go if you under throw." I was breaking in a SP Undertow for a while, but it never held a turning line for me all the way to the ground. I've really only been able to get the First Flight Proline Undertows to work for me as a turnover driver, and I only bag one as a roller. For the shots out of Squall range, I've just discovered I get a flight very similar to my SP Undertow by flicking a Hurricane.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:48 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 15
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

My Z Heat is fairly understable and I have played side by side with the Avenger SS. My heat will go straight for 200' or so then turn right pretty nicely. I can hyzer flip it as well but that is a shot I am still learning so I do it with minimal success. My avegner SS will usually turn right and stay right while the heat, if given height, can flex out. They are pretty similar to me and I try to minimize my molds so I use the heat. I like the way it feels better.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17
Courses Played: 87
Niced 150 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUGNIFICENT763 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reniger View Post
Sidewinder is another solid entry. (though I cringe suggesting Innova) It's a turnover master. Won't go full flip and roller, but will hold that Anny line for a LOOOONG time. Released flat to slight Anny, it will turn and hold it until just before ending it's line.

Another option is a Prodigy M4 or DGA Squall. Both are sneakily long for Mids and hold solid turnover lines until the end of flight.
The reason there is no sidewinder or roadrunner is because I have a stack of Heat, A-SS, and Undertows. Haven't had the ability to go out and test them. I've thrown undertows for almost a year and half, but only in SP, no proline...

I can get the undertows out to about 400' before they get super squirrely with more power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declarkus View Post
SP Squall replaced my Undertow for turnovers out to 350', and a Glow Squall replaced the SP because it's a little better at holding a turning line to the ground and for hyzer flipping.

Someone on here said it best: "Undertows under go if you under throw." I was breaking in a SP Undertow for a while, but it never held a turning line for me all the way to the ground. I've really only been able to get the First Flight Proline Undertows to work for me as a turnover driver, and I only bag one as a roller. For the shots out of Squall range, I've just discovered I get a flight very similar to my SP Undertow by flicking a Hurricane.
Never clicked with the Squall, I have a buddy that just murders stuff with a squall, but I never figured it out...
Old 01-07-2020, 05:12 PM

Niced 16 Times in 9 Posts

Reviving this thread due to Avenger SS coming out as a Paul McBeth Signature disc for 2020. Is Paul really going to be throwing the Avenger SS? I have the Heat and really like it for turnover or hyzer flips and it sounds like the Avenger SS may be even more understable? Thinking I will just stick with Heats.

Old 01-07-2020, 05:21 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 251 Times in 120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by todvan View Post
Reviving this thread due to Avenger SS coming out as a Paul McBeth Signature disc for 2020. Is Paul really going to be throwing the Avenger SS? I have the Heat and really like it for turnover or hyzer flips and it sounds like the Avenger SS may be even more understable? Thinking I will just stick with Heats.
He was only throwing the avenger ss on rollers this past year. Don't think he will ever throw it in the air. He usually throws his undertaker for bh turnovers.

Niced: (1)