Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 922 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDABRUSH View Post
And deserves to be power bombed.
With a 12 speed or higher disc golf disc playing guts. I have not played Hammond but it looks really good with the tee pads that seem almost too long for some.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2020, 06:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 330
Niced 3,038 Times in 1,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
the back 9 looks like an expansion pack set of dg and looked the most appealing to me
IMO course expansion that simply adds "more of same" can make things feel repetitive. Never thought adding holes to an 18 hole course necessarily makes it better, unless the new holes introduce design elements/shots absent from the original 18. If you're adding holes to a course, make 'em different.

Each of Harmon's 9 hole loops feels and plays differently. Front 9 is moderately to well wooded. Mid 9 is fairly open, but reasonably well wooded as you approach the basket. Final 9 are densely wooded.

I can't definitely say it should be Top 10 in the world, but I've played some pretty impressive courses, and can say it's top 10 of those.

Niced: (3)
Old 01-26-2020, 07:10 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 58
Niced 258 Times in 152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
IMO course expansion that simply adds "more of same" can make things feel repetitive. Never thought adding holes to an 18 hole course necessarily makes it better, unless the new holes introduce design elements/shots absent from the original 18. If you're adding holes to a course, make 'em different.

Each of Harmon's 9 hole loops feels and plays differently. Front 9 is moderately to well wooded. Mid 9 is fairly open, but reasonably well wooded as you approach the basket. Final 9 are densely wooded.

I can't definitely say it should be Top 10 in the world, but I've played some pretty impressive courses, and can say it's top 10 of those.
How does it feel to have 10,000 posts? That's some serious typing there Boges.

Old 01-26-2020, 09:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 194
Niced 735 Times in 478 Posts

Quote:

I was waiting for post 10,000. Was this it?

Yes I think Harmon Hills' original 18 were the best, maybe because the last 9 are still a bit raw. But I think it would be silly to call even the middle 9 "open." I do think it's a classic example of a course where the aesthetic remains pretty much the same throughout, but the golf requires a lot of different shots and never gets boring. It reminds me a bit of both Paw Paw, WV courses (Woodshed and Whippin Post), Sunnyside and Darkside in Spotsylvania VA, and even Moraine. Of all those, I think Moraine is the best. But I love all of them.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-26-2020, 10:08 AM
* Ace Member *

LOL. Actually got involved in the conversation, and kinda forgot about #10K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
It reminds me a bit of both Paw Paw, WV courses (Woodshed and Whippin Post), Sunnyside and Darkside in Spotsylvania VA, and even Moraine. Of all those, I think Moraine is the best. But I love all of them.
Harmon is reminiscent of Woodshed and Whippin' Post in some ways. Moraine's rough creates a different feel to me, but I can see that comparison, too. It's like saying which super model is hotter. I'm just glad to have been on that date.

I haven't played any of the best CA, OR, CO, WA, or even TX, has to offer, so I can't really say this or that course is a legit Top 10, or maybe even 25. I can just say a course is "Destination Worthy."

That's not a term I use lightly. It's reserved for courses I think are worthy of anchoring trips that take several days and cost several hundred$ (or more depending on your choice of accomodations).

I tip my cap to TVK. Being able to travel and play courses the way he does is a DG'ers dream. When someone who's seen as many courses he (or Martin Dewgarita) has, says the course on Prince Edward Island is special... I know can believe it.

Old 01-26-2020, 10:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 241
Niced 2,233 Times in 1,265 Posts

Quote:

this is the most sense of a short review i have read yet

for the different styles of the sections of the course

agreed completely just cuz you can add moar doesnt mean you should we have some courses here that are 12 or 13 hole courses and its completely unnecessary if a few holes were combined it would be a decent 9 hole but instead we have a lackluster 13 holer

so really it has a mix of everything open and wooded and short and long

Old 01-26-2020, 10:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
LOL. Actually got involved in the conversation, and kinda forgot about #10K.

Harmon is reminiscent of Woodshed and Whippin' Post in some ways. Moraine's rough creates a different feel to me, but I can see that comparison, too. It's like saying which super model is hotter. I'm just glad to have been on that date.

I haven't played any of the best CA, OR, CO, WA, or even TX, has to offer, so I can't really say this or that course is a legit Top 10, or maybe even 25. I can just say a course is "Destination Worthy."

That's not a term I use lightly. It's reserved for courses I think are worthy of anchoring trips that take several days and cost several hundred$ (or more depending on your choice of accomodations).

I tip my cap to TVK. Being able to travel and play courses the way he does is a DG'ers dream. When someone who's seen as many courses he (or Martin Dewgarita) has, says the course on Prince Edward Island is special... I know can believe it.
congrats on the 10k
Old 01-26-2020, 10:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
It's hard for me to say b/c most of the courses that gravitate around the top 10 list are beyond my region. But if it's not top 10 worthy I'd be really surprised. As far as playing disc golf goes, they have holes that require pretty much every line you can think of. The only thing they really lack is a significant water carry I think. The elevation change is really good and plays a big role in the design (not major like mountain golf though). It's a really well maintained course too, especially for a private, partly b/c it gets a lot of play. If it was just the original 18 hole course, you'd probably say it's more in the top 20-50 convo of superb but not elite courses but the extra 9 hole course across the road spices it up; it is stupidly fun and very pretty. Rugged, technical golf around all these lichen covered boulders.

I would put it right up there with the best courses I've played though, like Blue Gill, Sugaree, Black Jack, etc. It's one of those extremely rare courses where I can't find a hole to really nitpick or bitch about.
and youre in a region where i havent played those but recognize all the names and know theyre well liked and probably for a very good reason

the rolling hills look like elevation on steroids compared to our flat land barely rolling hills up in mn

so this course would be my wet dream to have in my backyard

also idk if you heard about or peeped chains edge in mn but its two heavily wooded courses in a cabin plot of land backyard that also would be amazing to have
Old 01-26-2020, 10:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
and youre in a region where i havent played those but recognize all the names and know theyre well liked and probably for a very good reason

the rolling hills look like elevation on steroids compared to our flat land barely rolling hills up in mn
Specifically why I referenced BRP & Vision Quest to provide some context for comparison you could relate to.

Old 01-26-2020, 10:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Specifically why I referenced BRP & Vision Quest to provide some context for comparison you could relate to.
yes thank you i understood right away and could relate