#51  
Old 01-27-2020, 09:11 AM
Mando's Avatar
Mando Mando is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 116
Posts: 1,822
Niced 249 Times in 100 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Why is it that you are un-accepting, of the possibility that others' opinions count the same as yours?
There are plenty of folks whose opinions that I value, but that does not mean I am compelled to agree with them all of the time...unless, of course,it's Biscoe. If you want me to accuse me of sparking debate, I'm guilty.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Mando; 01-27-2020 at 09:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 01-27-2020, 10:19 AM
ejvogie's Avatar
ejvogie ejvogie is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toledo, OH
Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,652
Niced 764 Times in 349 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
I'm taking the perspective of the travelling player. If there's a place with two or more excellent courses onsite, I wanna know about it. To a certain degree, I don't care what else might be there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post
Gotcha, so a place with 5 courses that average over a 4 is of no interest to you as a travelling player ?

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 01-27-2020, 12:32 PM
Jimb's Avatar
Jimb Jimb is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: WV near Cumberland, MD
Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 108
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,949
Niced 571 Times in 262 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post
Who would build 3 average ( 3.0 rated) courses on one site ?
Woodland Valley in Maine came close with their three 18 hole courses.
Black Bear 3.40
Grizzly 3.45
Kodiak 2.25 (Seems like maintenance is holding this one back from another 3....)
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 01-27-2020, 02:46 PM
wellsbranch250's Avatar
wellsbranch250 wellsbranch250 is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Huntsville Alabama
Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 427
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 511
Niced 929 Times in 317 Posts
Default

I am not proposing this...

But I have wondered how multi-course destinations would stack up if there were a separate rating number to rate them as a conglomerate. As many would agree, sometimes when two courses are at one location, very little value is added by the second course. Sometimes it offers all the same elements or its a dud. While other times there's a destination which will have multiple styles that are knocked out of the park. Thus the conglomerate score is more greatly effected.

How I would personally score and rank the multi-course places I've played.

1. IDGC, GA (5)
2. Flying Armadillo, TX (4.5)
3. Lake Claiborne, LA (4.5)
4. Mahr Park, KY (4.5)
5. New World, FL (4.5)
6. Bill Frederick, FL (4)
7. River City, FL (4)
8. Bud Hill, TN (4)
9. Foundation Park, IL (4)
10. Blue Angel, FL (4)
11. Boundary Waters, GA (4)
12. Cane Ridge, TN (4)
13. Veteran's, MS (3.5)
14. Gordon Barnett, FL (3)
15. Winnebago Co Park, WI (3)
16. Paul Johnson, MS (3)
17. Sparkman Park, AL (3)

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 01-27-2020, 03:11 PM
Mando's Avatar
Mando Mando is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 116
Posts: 1,822
Niced 249 Times in 100 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofenshmirtz View Post
There's nothing like not supporting your point of view to argue that you cannot.

And, in this case, doing so with respect to an undeniably subjective subject is silly beyond measure. It's like arguing that "common sense" should inform everyone that purple is the best color.
Common sense dictates that you simply add the ratings of each course on site for an objective comparison. If you do so, Highbridge totals 21.23, with I think IDGC coming in second with 13.02. I think that does a fair job of supporting my view without being undeniably subjective. Highbridge's domination of the destination category is Ruthian...and yet it is ranked #15?

Last edited by Mando; 01-27-2020 at 03:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 01-27-2020, 03:16 PM
Cgkdisc's Avatar
Cgkdisc Cgkdisc is online now
.:Hall of Fame Member:.
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Years Playing: 31
Courses Played: 702
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 12,449
Niced 1,896 Times in 841 Posts
Default

I agree it's probably tough to beat the IDGC as a destination with pro shop, Hall of Fame and PDGA HQ in addition to onsite camping in a 900-acre recreational area and decent sized city nearby. I think Lemon Lake should be in the running for a top 10 destination ranking although it's still bouncing back from needed course redesigns as a result of the EAB tree devastation. Note that it has hosted two Pro World Championships.

Highbridge will continue to literally be an outlier even if all of the courses regain or attain 4.5-5 ratings due to its remote location. In the long run, there will be improved camping and lodging options onsite, pro shop, cell and wi-fi plus additional food service nearby. But it may never gain the amenities within 10 miles of many current and future destinations.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 01-27-2020, 03:21 PM
wellsbranch250's Avatar
wellsbranch250 wellsbranch250 is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Huntsville Alabama
Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 427
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 511
Niced 929 Times in 317 Posts
Default

This is something I've probably stated before, but I never played a five. I *never* played a five. But one day, I bagged five 1s! And I think that ought to count.

Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 01-27-2020, 03:27 PM
Mando's Avatar
Mando Mando is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 116
Posts: 1,822
Niced 249 Times in 100 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
I agree it's probably tough to beat the IDGC as a destination with pro shop, Hall of Fame and PDGA HQ in addition to onsite camping in a 900-acre recreational area and decent sized city nearby. I think Lemon Lake should be in the running for a top 10 destination ranking although it's still bouncing back from needed course redesigns as a result of the EAB tree devastation. Note that it has hosted two Pro World Championships.

Highbridge will continue to literally be an outlier even if all of the courses regain or attain 4.5-5 ratings due to its remote location. In the long run, there will be improved camping and lodging options onsite, pro shop, cell and wi-fi plus additional food service nearby. But it may never gain the amenities within 10 miles of many current and future destinations.
So, if you were going to start with the sum of the ratings and add numerical points for the things you mentioned, what value would you assign to those things ? BTW, I don't see a remote location as being totally a negative...
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 01-27-2020, 03:47 PM
DavidSauls's Avatar
DavidSauls DavidSauls is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newberry, SC
Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 127
Posts: 15,396
Niced 3,889 Times in 1,641 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post
Common sense dictates that you simply add the ratings of each course on site for an objective comparison. If you do so, Highbridge totals 21.23, with I think IDGC coming in second with 13.02. I think that does a fair job of supporting my view without being undeniably subjective. Highbridge's domination of the destination category is Ruthian...and yet it is ranked #15?
That's certainly one way to do it....but it may reward quantity a bit too much. A facility with 3 3.0s is better than one with two 4.25s?

Maybe it works if there are separate categories for 2-course complexes, 3-course complexes, and 4+- course complexes.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #60  
Old 01-27-2020, 04:10 PM
Cgkdisc's Avatar
Cgkdisc Cgkdisc is online now
.:Hall of Fame Member:.
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Years Playing: 31
Courses Played: 702
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 12,449
Niced 1,896 Times in 841 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post
So, if you were going to start with the sum of the ratings and add numerical points for the things you mentioned, what value would you assign to those things ? BTW, I don't see a remote location as being totally a negative...
Not a fan of ranking by a straight total of the course ratings. I'm thinking you only average the highest three course ratings. Additional courses beyond three count in the amenities calculation however that's done. So even though Highbridge is remote, perhaps the extra courses could increase its amenities score? For two-course sites to get in the destination rankings, they would need some form of lodging on the site that would be ranked up to 5 points and count as a third "course" to produce the course average towards the destination score.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Redundancy of reviewing Top Rated Courses LaserGlide68 General Disc Golf Chat 46 12-11-2017 11:24 AM
Your personal top 5 to 10 courses and how and why you rated them that way... apdrvya Disc Golf Courses 286 08-14-2017 10:18 AM
Do top rated courses produce the best players? discgolfer99 Course Development 60 02-21-2011 03:13 PM
Two MN courses in the top rated list!! Texconsinite Disc Golf Courses 10 07-26-2009 06:58 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.