Old 01-27-2020, 04:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 116
Niced 249 Times in 100 Posts

So, currently,according to DGCR, the top destination is Jarva DiscGolfPark with it's second course being a 6 hole junior course. I hope you guys aren't buying that.
Sum rankings may not be perfect,but it's way better than the current system.
here are the top 4;
Highbridge 21.23
Sabbatus 15.76
IDGC 13.02
Horning's 12.35
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 01-27-2020, 04:40 PM
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 169
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,525 Times in 1,168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
Honestly this is where we need the sport to go. The USGA sends officials to rate slope on every course. I think the PDGA should invest in this type of thing. Have every course officially "sloped", and also have some sort of review for quality. Charge private courses a fee for the privilege.
Yeah what we have now is basically Rotten Tomatoes without the critics' score, just the audience. Although Udisc users make DGCR TRs look like pro critics.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 148
Niced 47 Times in 19 Posts

Perhaps have reviews and ratings of places that are considered destinations. While still having the individual course review/ratings. Seems to me that destination shouldn't be just a place with multiple courses. Plenty of places with one great course that I consider a destination and want to travel to before some of these destinations. Highbridge is definitely worth a higher ranking though and will jump higher I assume with the new management. It's just that good. I've played 3 of the top 10(ridge, Idlewild,flip) and consider 3 maybe 4 courses at Highbridge better or more enjoyable for me. Remember when blueberry was in the top ten? Haha, I'm getting old.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 101
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 358 Times in 171 Posts

proposal/ideas:
average + tenth of point for each course onsite... this might result in 5+ rating tho.
1/100 point per basket.
minus points for charging or being private... then + points for other amenities
as was mentioned in one of those other threads having trusted reviews count for more
i also feel there should be camping/lodging nearby to be a destination.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Highbridge will continue to literally be an outlier even if all of the courses regain or attain 4.5-5 ratings due to its remote location. In the long run, there will be improved camping and lodging options onsite, pro shop, cell and wi-fi plus additional food service nearby. But it may never gain the amenities within 10 miles of many current and future destinations.
While I respect your opinion Chuck; there may just as many folks who revel in the remote location and feel it outweighs the lack of amenities.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-27-2020, 06:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Not a fan of ranking by a straight total of the course ratings. I'm thinking you only average the highest three course ratings. Additional courses beyond three count in the amenities calculation however that's done. So even though Highbridge is remote, perhaps the extra courses could increase its amenities score? For two-course sites to get in the destination rankings, they would need some form of lodging on the site that would be ranked up to 5 points and count as a third "course" to produce the course average towards the destination score.
Goodness gracious, you are proposing only counting 3 courses as courses and then they are amenities ? I think you are out of touch with the traveling disc golfer...
Old 01-27-2020, 06:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 127
Niced 3,909 Times in 1,651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevis View Post
proposal/ideas:
average + tenth of point for each course onsite... this might result in 5+ rating tho.
1/100 point per basket.
minus points for charging or being private... then + points for other amenities
as was mentioned in one of those other threads having trusted reviews count for more
i also feel there should be camping/lodging nearby to be a destination.
Then we could argue about each of those aspects, and how they should be weighted differently!
Old 01-27-2020, 06:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 127
Niced 3,909 Times in 1,651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsbranch250 View Post
I am not proposing this...

But I have wondered how multi-course destinations would stack up if there were a separate rating number to rate them as a conglomerate. As many would agree, sometimes when two courses are at one location, very little value is added by the second course. Sometimes it offers all the same elements or its a dud. While other times there's a destination which will have multiple styles that are knocked out of the park. Thus the conglomerate score is more greatly effected.
If we actually needed the best quality rating of destination complexes, this would make more sense than some factor of the ratings of their individual courses.

Some enterprising person could poll disc golfers who (1) have played, say, 200 or more courses and (2) who have played half or more of the contenders. These are people, after all, who tend to go to destinations. Let them rate the complexes.

Of course, we don't actually need the best quality rating, so why bother? I suspect people who want to go to disc golf destinations, are figuring it out pretty well without a list.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
If we actually needed the best quality rating of destination complexes,
We don't, it's just another example of, this site ain't what it used to be...that's all I'm saying.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.9
Courses Played: 248
Niced 2,347 Times in 905 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post
While I respect your opinion Chuck; there may just as many folks who revel in the remote location and feel it outweighs the lack of amenities.
Some don't. That is going to be my point on complete subjectivity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post
We don't, it's just another example of, this site ain't what it used to be...that's all I'm saying.
Lol.....this is like arguing religion. Nobody is "buying" anything from ratings or rankings. They are abstract concepts that few traveling players use.

Traveling players should use reviews, not ratings or rankings. Read the reviews and determine if the course is what you are looking for. The current system is not broken and every attempt to fix it, is equally flawed....including attempts in this latest iteration, of this dead horse.

There are TOO MANY variables to make any system work. Revel in it. Embrace the diverse tastes of you fellow golfers. Plan a trip, plug in 3.0 into the road trip functionality and spend a couple hours reading the reviews. I have found a few handful that seem to really enjoy and note the things I enjoy. I seek them out for guidance.