Old 01-14-2020, 09:52 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 922 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
Yes, the niche has really filled out. The whole faster faster period was interesting, but probably spawned more poor discs than any other period.
Yes and also spawned every big brand out during the faster time making a Destroyer clone or similar disc at this time, thinking that if the Top sponsored player of Innova in the late 2000's Avery Jenkins used a Destroyer and the distance record for a short time was set with a Destroyer then the other companies must need a similar disc for the top player they sponsor.

Also this wing war period just happened to have Quest AT making its original non clear premium plastic versions of its discs including the odd large wing drivers they had like the one or two models with the golf ball dimples and the one that was a two piece disc originally, second overmold disc ever after the Wham-O Max Flight. Also the Discwing discs came out at this same time with the softest disc ever made, the Quarter K a nice larger wing disc that was great disc besides the plastic.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2020, 09:56 PM

Would the Dart be old enough to be a classic mold yet? Came out in 2009, and launched R-Pro. If the Pig is considered a classic then I would say yes the Dart should be as the Dart came out a year after the Pig.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-28-2020, 10:45 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 46
Niced 111 Times in 81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
Which one?
EX. It covers all stabilities.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:47 PM
Par Member

Niced 119 Times in 61 Posts

Comet.

Old 01-29-2020, 10:46 PM

A few Lighting discs that make the cut in my opinion.

#2 Upshot For a long time before the online Innova Pro Shop opened up selling an XD, this mold was the closest to an XD before the Colt was made. comes in the old baseline, newer baseline with the DuPont added to the plastic, and ProStyle a very flexible plastic that is great in lower weights for the putters ProStyle is made for, used to do uphill/downhill putts in those lower weights best.

Rubber putter a great disc, probably the closest putter to a Comet as a putter. The Rubber Putter was the choice when the Aero was stopped and before the Innova Pro Shop had in OOP the Aero and before Dart, a small diameter Aero came out. Rubber Putter floats on water in the lower weights below 173 grams. Newer plastic with the DuPont in it is the better option.

#2 driver Like an XL in flight with more a Teebird feel but was able to float on water though best in lower weights under 172 grams. Now as of mid 2010's and up about the only really good water floating driver disc as the Dragon the plastic is hot garbage but still has the right shape and flight for a Dragon.

Those are or were some of the most purchased discs from the Lighting brand.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:48 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 562 Times in 363 Posts

The pantheon of all time classics today would be filled with discs that not just filled a niche, but practically established a slot in a ton of players' bags, and that are still popular today despite the spawning of knock offs and also-rans from competitors and even from the original manufacturer.

Innova has lots of these - still plenty of Aviars, Rocs, Teebirds, Thunderbirds, Firebirds and Destroyers on the course. Seems like most of what comes to my mind anyway are stable molds, but I would say the Tern is up there too as the go-to cheater distance disc for weekend warriors.

The Zone and Buzzz are obvious, probably (definitely) Comet too.

Proxy and Envy are both truly special and classic.

Can't think of another disc from Trilogy that I would call a classic. Not that they don't make great or sometimes even superior discs, they just aren't "classics."
Old 01-31-2020, 12:01 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,191 Times in 772 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
The pantheon of all time classics today would be filled with discs that not just filled a niche, but practically established a slot in a ton of players' bags, and that are still popular today despite the spawning of knock offs and also-rans from competitors and even from the original manufacturer.

Innova has lots of these - still plenty of Aviars, Rocs, Teebirds, Thunderbirds, Firebirds and Destroyers on the course. Seems like most of what comes to my mind anyway are stable molds, but I would say the Tern is up there too as the go-to cheater distance disc for weekend warriors.

The Zone and Buzzz are obvious, probably (definitely) Comet too.

Can't think of another disc from Trilogy that I would call a classic. Not that they don't make great or sometimes even superior discs, they just aren't "classics."
I think Trilogy has a couple, the Harp, Pure and Stiletto were all unique enough to make that distinction IMO.
Old 01-31-2020, 12:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40
Courses Played: 95
Niced 1,390 Times in 535 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Would the Lava plastic of Lat 64 be considered a classic?
Old 01-31-2020, 12:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1,256 Times in 679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post

But are the Proxy and Envy classics?5 years old just doesn't feel classic to me yet.... I would think an MVP thrower would regard the Ion as more of a "classic". They use to get a lot more love around here.

Old 01-31-2020, 12:31 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 136
Niced 3,053 Times in 1,098 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
But are the Proxy and Envy classics?5 years old just doesn't feel classic to me yet.... I would think an MVP thrower would regard the Ion as more of a "classic". They use to get a lot more love around here.
You probably can make a case to me for the Ion. It was the first disc using a new process; that disc fails and there are no more overmolds. It was THE MVP disc. You can make a case that it is has that combination of being a very good AND a very important disc.

The Proxy and Envy are very good discs, but not very important discs. The Turbo Putt was a very important disc, but not a very good disc. The Ion is very good and very important, and for me that gives it a much better case to be on my list of classic discs.

Niced: (2)