Old 02-10-2020, 12:15 PM
Banned

Niced 8 Times in 7 Posts

Makes sense he’d be using the Aviar though as he probably was told that he would be getting his own McPro Aviar. Which was probably good and bad news. Meant he had to ditch the P2. Which I assume had a lot of back history to it, like Innova not wanting him to be using Discmania anymore. But I don’t know...

(Yes I know it’s like the same company but it’s a branding/marketing/competition thing.)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2020, 02:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 12
Niced 487 Times in 346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenomad View Post
Hate to spoil the party but Paul isn’t a designer. And he went to Discraft for money, not because he always loved the company. Roach is most similar to the popular putters of other companies. But I don’t know, if I wasn’t a designer and I “designed” a disc, I probably wouldn’t be too confident with it. But only Paul knows that, regardless of what he feeds the public. I think he and others have been playing long enough it doesn’t really matter what they use as long as it glides. They might’ve already had the Luna designed and produced before Paul even got there. It’s a money grab, not a “provide the public with the best possible disc.” IMO

before Paul became Mr. McPro and was getting signature discs, he was using P2s......
I purposefully put quotes around "designed" to prevent posts like your response. Money grab or not, it feels different than a Roach and I prefer the feel of the Luna over the Roach, likely due to the slight curve on the bottom of the Luna that isn't on the Roach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenomad View Post
That was Paul’s way of describing the Luna. We do that type of comparison in the English language frequently, especially in sports. The rim depth is a different measurement. The roach doesn’t have a weird rounded out bottom and it doesn’t come in firm Jawbreaker. Other small differences. The Luna never would’ve happened and they would just give him a Roach signature. A lot of putters are similar with small differences though. It was released as a money grab because they just signed Paul. At this point, the purpose of the disc is just to try to look cool (but really looking like a fan boy) lol Yet it doesn’t have his name anywhere on the production release
Does his logo not count as having his name on it? Its more than being a fanboi or a cash grab, it's having the confidence that putting with the same putter as a 5x world MPO champ that no other putter, except the KC Aviar can claim (but the KC Aviar has changed multiple times over the years). I've tried to emulate Paul's form for years in order to try to fix my comically bad putting. McPro Aviars never felt good in my hand, plus the limited stock/IFS shipping on less than 5, but the Luna has none of those issues for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wims View Post
Roach = the exact same disc as the Luna. There are literally no differences at all. Mirror image
I might be able to understand if you were just putting them with calloused hands/fingertip nerve damage, but throwing them there is a difference (for reference I have young delicate hands that are very sensitive to small differences in the way a disc is shaped).

Niced: (1)
Old 02-10-2020, 03:22 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 17 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
(for reference I have young delicate hands that are very sensitive to small differences in the way a disc is shaped).
Tell us more about your young delicate hands

Old 02-10-2020, 03:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 12
Niced 1,112 Times in 589 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
Tell us more about your young delicate hands
Deadpool?
Old 02-10-2020, 04:06 PM
Banned

Niced 8 Times in 7 Posts

Just like Air Jordans made you fly, I get it

And my bad didn’t know that was a logo, on the production run in firm JB? Or u talking limited release...

It might make you shoot rainbow sparklers out ur rear like Pauly

Designs usually take longer...

Last edited by thenomad; 02-10-2020 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:11 AM
Banned

Niced 8 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
I purposefully put quotes around "designed" to prevent posts like your response. Money grab or not, it feels different than a Roach and I prefer the feel of the Luna over the Roach, likely due to the slight curve on the bottom of the Luna that isn't on the Roach.

Does his logo not count as having his name on it?
Well it’s good you put quotes on “design” because it shows that you know he isn’t a designer.

And I checked and you’re wrong about the logo. The production run Luna doesn’t have Paul’s name or logo on it. Maybe you’re referring to the super limited release crystal Z (not the same thing bud).

Smart by Discraft if they don’t have to give paul a royalty on all Luna sales. I doubt he will even be using the Luna in a few years and you’ll be forced to switch putters again...... lol
Old 02-11-2020, 03:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,803 Times in 1,008 Posts

The stock run Luna have his logo, check again ( it´s left of the flight numbers )
And it also says "Paul McBeth" on the inside of the rim

Old 02-11-2020, 03:47 AM
Banned

Niced 8 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
The stock run Luna have his logo, check again ( it´s left of the flight numbers )
And it also says "Paul McBeth" on the inside of the rim
Ahhh thanks. Now I see it. Didn’t know that was his “logo.”
Old 02-15-2020, 02:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 573 Times in 246 Posts

If I may add my 2 cents to the discussion, just one man's opinion...

Paul was making plenty of money at Innova, but he had no hand in the business and no way to build his own brand.
Innova was quite content to keep Paul as their cash cow.
He joined Discraft for the PM brand, not just the money. He now has his own logo, disc line (Luna, Zeus, Anax and Malta) and more will be added as time goes on.
Paul understands that his disc golf "reign" will be relatively short-lived and he is trying to establish his brand to carry him beyond his playing days. Probably the smartest disc golfer out there.

As far as the Luna vs Roach debate goes...
If you're throwing them less than 250', they fly relatively the same.
They feel pretty much the same in the hand, they putt the same, etc.
However, at longer distances the Roaches will start turning whereas the Luna will have better stability at those longer distances.
If you're not throwing past 250', save your money and get a Ti Roach, or better yet, a Cryztal Roach.
If you're putting it out to 250' to 300" and beyond, you'll notice the difference in the Cryztal Luna (I have not tried a Big Z Luna yet).

Again, just one man's opinion.

Old 02-15-2020, 09:55 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5
Niced 406 Times in 254 Posts

Didn't Paul state in a video the mold components for the Luna? It's like the Chally top and Roach bottom. I guess if you don't touch the top part of the disc or the shoulder it's the same mold.