Old 05-03-2019, 07:40 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 406 Times in 254 Posts

Ok so now I need help to stay nose down.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2020, 11:43 AM
Eagle Member

Hey SW, Quick question.
Do you know of any BH grip issues which could cause index finger trauma? After playing ~66 holes this past weekend my index finger is decently swollen and sore to curl. I'm doing some ice and NSAIDs which are helping but I've never had this happen.

For reference I basically Fork Grip everything and the index pad/thumb interface is the last contact point - to the point where recently I'm developing a callous in a line across the middle of the pad of my index finger. Normally my Distal index joint is on the rim edge, my Proximal middle finger joint is on the rim edge and I have pads on the inside rim.
Thanks!

PS. Fish's forehand is looking pretty clean ��
Old 02-11-2020, 11:50 AM
Eagle Member

https://twitter.com/i/status/1226709056611549184
Old 02-11-2020, 03:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,235 Times in 1,975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasissouth View Post
Hey SW, Quick question.
Do you know of any BH grip issues which could cause index finger trauma? After playing ~66 holes this past weekend my index finger is decently swollen and sore to curl. I'm doing some ice and NSAIDs which are helping but I've never had this happen.

For reference I basically Fork Grip everything and the index pad/thumb interface is the last contact point - to the point where recently I'm developing a callous in a line across the middle of the pad of my index finger. Normally my Distal index joint is on the rim edge, my Proximal middle finger joint is on the rim edge and I have pads on the inside rim.
Thanks!

PS. Fish's forehand is looking pretty clean ��
Not sure, maybe gripping too over top the disc and too much pressure hooking inside rim rather than pinching flight plate, or pulling the disc around vs pushing it out more with the thumb.

I have a callus closer to the outside edge of index finger print, not in the middle or going across finger.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:00 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
too much pressure hooking inside rim rather than pinching flight plate, or pulling the disc around vs pushing it out more with the thumb.
I have a suspicion this might be right, I'll try and slant my index a little more so the disc is pulling against it more "on axis" - the way the finger bends, rather than "off axis" sideways.

My callous is forming in a slanted line like right here, halfway between joint and tip and going from centerish toward the right.

Old 02-18-2020, 11:27 AM
Eagle Member

ok so quick update on this - I think I managed to irritate or otherwise slightly injure my RCL or collateral ligament on my index finger. The main pain for the finger last week was side to side action and the outside part of the joint is sore to the touch.

I have it taped up 24/7 and have been icing it after throwing, and heating it during normal days.

I shot 28 holes at Giles on Saturday with tape on and it didn't bother me or swell up too much, I think something with how I was throwing or overall velocity with weak fingers put too much sideways stress on the finger.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-23-2020, 10:14 PM
Eagle Member

Check this out SW, this is a super interesting frame. Never watched Joona before, he really sends it.
I would never expect that much wrist curl that late in the swing.

Old 02-23-2020, 11:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasissouth View Post
Check this out SW, this is a super interesting frame. Never watched Joona before, he really sends it.
I would never expect that much wrist curl that late in the swing.
When you accelerate the lower arm out away from your center, the wrist/disc lags back inward toward your center.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-28-2020, 08:52 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
When you accelerate the lower arm out away from your center, the wrist/disc lags back inward toward your center.
I agree, but that is still a crazy amount to me, and it was VERY noticeable in real time as well, which is usually isn't.

Can you give me a quick couple of drill for bracing? I know door frame and hershyzer, but I still can't translate it in a way to prevent my over-the-top.

... Is there someway to combine like ride the bull/turbo with a throwing motion?

Old 02-28-2020, 10:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Door Frame and Hershyzer aren't really bracing drills, or not for the front side, those are bracing the rear side to leverage the backswing/transition.

You can throw Riding the Bull (without the stick) - it's a quicker more dynamic crush the can, and basically how I throw from standstill for power but adding the arm swing to it, which elongates the body turning by it pulling you more with heavier momentum. Markus Kallstrom and GG are best examples of Riding the Bull.

One Leg, Elephant Walk, Open to Closed, throwing from downhill lie, and tossing a heavy object drills are great bracing drills.

This one with Aimee is good for home, note how her lead arm is bent almost just like right pec drill, but her upper arm/shoulder is hyperextended, so do this with a slightly closed upper arm from the shoulder and you can use a billiards stick or golf club. Feel how you would release the lower arm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um5cS9u_Y0w&t=4m32s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuvujcEMLxs#t=1m25s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvvF6eW-by8#t=7m30s

Address/Finish position is also good practice:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=134167