Old 06-03-2019, 11:38 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 58
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 118 Times in 64 Posts

Picked up a Quake and a Pipeline at a tourney this weekend. Very stoked to try them out.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2020, 06:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 227
Niced 74 Times in 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by baronrichmond View Post
I recently switched my entire bag over to the DGA brand (I fell in love with a swirly-flex Pipeline last year and decided to go all out).

I'm a bit confused by the plastic blends but let me just note what I've found so far because I've recently bought a lot of discs by DGA and have started to form some conclusion:

They have two to three types of pro line plastic. I have multiple fairway and distance drivers that are incredibly similar to s-line or star plastic...exactly what I'd imagine their pro line to want to be. But I also have every mid range they make as well as the breaker in pro line plastic and it's incredibly different. The plastic is WAY slicker, it almost feels like a blend of s-line/star plastic and c-line/champion plastic. These discs also have little circles around them (must be how they mold it) that make it look like a vinyl record. So i initially made the conclusion that their pro line plastic is different only between low speed discs and high speed discs, BUT THEN I got a mystery disc from Infinite Discs that was a Pro Line Hurricane and it feels kind of between the two plastic types. It's still incredibly slick, it's not tacky like the other drivers, but it doesn't have the circles around it as if its molded normally like other brands and plastic types. I'm just at a loss guys.

I should also add that the "pro line" that looks/feels vinyl is much stiffer and less "flexy" than the tackier pro line on the higher speed discs.

So to attempt to settle the entire debacle I bought three different plastics of hurricanes- one SP, one Pro Line, and one signature swirl (which is like actual star/s-line and i recommend this plastic whenever possible). And I will compare them to the mystery disc hurricane to see how they all feel and fly.

I also bought 3 more breakers. One SP, one pro line that looks swirly but is labeled regular pro line, and one special blend that is supposedly extra grippy and overstable at the same time.

All these discs will arrive in two days and, if I remember, I'll post what I find to let you guys know.

I'm already a bit disappointed that their pro line changes quite drastically depending on what disc you get. I suppose it's possible that the new "vinyl" pro line is their new standard and it just so happens that all my drivers are an old blend that used to be more grippy and flexy...or vice versa, but I doubt this. Come on DGA, if i order a plastic type I expect the exact same blend no matter which disc I buy!
I said it earlier in this thread, but Proline is all over the place. PL used to be gummy. Newer runs not so much. First Flights are your best chance for tacky plastic. I haven't been very impressed with new PL blend used for Breakers, Aftershocks and Rifts. I have been very happy with the new PL blend used for the Banzais, Pipelines, Rogues and Tempests that I have thrown. And I've really liked the Flex PL blend since the initial Squall release. My guess is the Flex PL blend is a response to the complaints of the previous PL blend.

Good first post and welcome to the forum. This place was great for building my DGA knowledge, and I've shared many of my experiences. I like to go to the "Discs" section and at the top left click "Filter Results" and it will drop down all the disc manufacturers. Click "DGA" and it will only show DGA threads. Or just pm me with your DGA questions

Niced: (1)
Old 02-12-2020, 06:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1,256 Times in 679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declarkus View Post
Or just pm me with your DGA questions
I got a question for you...why no Gumbputts/Blowflys?
Old 02-12-2020, 06:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Ran out of time to add Quake, Hellfire, Undertow, and Sail to the list of molds with the better, non-slick new PL blend. And for reference, the new blend has the medallion stamp.

I've thrown this recommendation out before on another's good advice, but it's worth repeating. Scrub new Proline with a green scrubbing pad (blue isn't coarse enough) and baking soda. Sometimes you just need to knock the new off
Old 02-12-2020, 06:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
I got a question for you...why no Gumbputts/Blowflys?
I'm pretty sure they just released brighter colored Blowflys. Pink and such

Do you mean why don't I bag them? I have one for pre round catch and throwing around at work, but it's too floppy for a confident consistent release for me.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-12-2020, 07:44 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declarkus View Post
Ran out of time to add Quake, Hellfire, Undertow, and Sail to the list of molds with the better, non-slick new PL blend. And for reference, the new blend has the medallion stamp.

I've thrown this recommendation out before on another's good advice, but it's worth repeating. Scrub new Proline with a green scrubbing pad (blue isn't coarse enough) and baking soda. Sometimes you just need to knock the new off
I have to disagree about the Sail unless it's changed since summer 2019. The Proline one I bought has almost no grip. That aside, I love the Sail! Nothing flies straighter!
Old 02-12-2020, 07:58 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 19
Niced 17 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamba Maniac View Post
I have to disagree about the Sail unless it's changed since summer 2019. The Proline one I bought has almost no grip. That aside, I love the Sail! Nothing flies straighter!
My Proline Sail is also very slick. I love the flight, so I'm hoping to pick up an SP or grippy Proline at some point.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Fair enough. Perhaps the ones I felt were all First Flight. I've handled 3 or 4 and bagged a green First Flight for a bit.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Sure enough. I just browsed the OTB Disc site and all their PL Sails are categorized as stiff (not gummy). I was hoping they would have First Flights to compare, but no luck.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,409 Times in 812 Posts

I love the stiff Prolines. Glad they havn't went flacid like Lat64 and MVP.