Old 01-21-2020, 03:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,235 Times in 1,975 Posts

In that wide of a stance you need to move your front knee forward ahead of the hip. Your front knee barely moves while your hips move or sway more. Note how much further my front knee moves back and forth in perpetually longer swing drill and turns clockwise back to neutral into the plant after shifting and turning back much further. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu4CzVnITlo#t=5m56s

Make your rear knee oscillate (counter clockwise) like Mike Maves shows below, this is the rear knee action in the throw. Make both knees do that circle with your CoG, so pressure moves counter clockwise from rear toes to rear heel to front heel to front toes and back to rear toes and around. Try reversing the circle with both knees, so your pelvis should be doing a hula hoop action in either direction with the circle action of the knees. Now when you actually shift forward to throw the front knee will reverse the circle clockwise so the CoG/pressure goes toe to heel on the front foot(crush the can) and then back around to the toes after the foot pivots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2Zrf5GbvdE#t=1m50s

Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-21-2020, 07:52 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 84 Times in 71 Posts

That’s looking better IMO! Your hip action is starting to look like It should. Try turning all the way back 180 degrees ontop of the rear hip nice and tall , i found it easier on tippy toes if it helps, then drop down/shift onto your plant leg and swing through. Then you can start to play around with the little knee/foot move move to shift it all back to the front leg in the backswing. I think you’re on the right track man!

Last edited by Parbequeue; 01-21-2020 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:35 PM
Par Member

Niced 36 Times in 27 Posts

My right knee seems to be one of my biggest areas of opportunity. It is simply preventing me from even setting up correctly. I'm quite certain it is physically impossible for me to get posted up on my lead/right leg, because the path of my right knee movement (or lack thereof). I jam my hip Every. Single. Time.

I started working on my right knee move/path going back in forth in FH/BH like in SW's swing drills. Although I was focusing strictly on my right knee on the back/forward swing, I could start to feel the tautness everyone talks about, but I didn't have to force it with my arm.

I'm tired of seeing myself raise up as I plant, while you talented people drop into the plant. Tired of seeing me collapse/jam, while yall are turning greasy/smooth on your front leg. Hopefully this is the start of that change.

Old 02-07-2020, 02:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Your FH body motion is more proper although swinging early with arm. You get the hips forward and torso to lean back going into the FH plant.

When you switch to BH your upper body tips over, so you aren't mirroring your leg action. I don't think it's an issue with your right knee, but how you move off the rear leg or don't shift your lower body off it. You aren't pushing your hips forward, you are pushing/tipping your shoulders over instead. I like your stance for this exercise.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 2.22.17 PM.jpg (24.4 KB, 105 views)
Old 02-12-2020, 03:27 PM
Par Member

I'm going to figure out how to setup and swivel properly on my front leg. I know I received some positive feedback with my lefty hockey slapshot ("By far the best"); SW could you elaborate a little further on why it was better?

I'd like to go back and tie this positive hockey feedback to my DG swing critiques. Re-watching the slapshot, it looks like I don't collapse into my front hip. I can see my right knee move, accept my weight and stay inside my posture as my right hip clears back. Looks like I load into my rear hip, but my hips don't turn/swivel much.

Just trying to wrap around my head the parts of my slapshot that I can translate into my swing.

Old 02-12-2020, 03:43 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 544 Times in 217 Posts

1 big part of why it's easier for me to personally do a hockey shot than a backhand, is that it's like throwing a steep hyzer. It's easier to stay behind your hip on a steep hyzer and as you lessen the angle - it gets more important that your hips are shifting with the right timing and your butt is staying back in the backswing and the downswing.

This was a video I just made to talk about hips for a guy that I'm helping in some private coaching and I think it might help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUtnBMNsnbg

Last edited by HyzerUniBomber; 02-12-2020 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet57 View Post
I'm going to figure out how to setup and swivel properly on my front leg. I know I received some positive feedback with my lefty hockey slapshot ("By far the best"); SW could you elaborate a little further on why it was better?

I'd like to go back and tie this positive hockey feedback to my DG swing critiques. Re-watching the slapshot, it looks like I don't collapse into my front hip. I can see my right knee move, accept my weight and stay inside my posture as my right hip clears back. Looks like I load into my rear hip, but my hips don't turn/swivel much.

Just trying to wrap around my head the parts of my slapshot that I can translate into my swing.

That lefty hockey slap shot is how you should be moving/shifting back and forth from a wider stance and a two-handed swing center. Hit the ball like that with only your lead arm or fist like tee ball, don't even need the stick. Your arm is the club/stick with a hinge or hinges. How would you adjust your body/stance/ball position to deliver the blow?

Your legs aren't collapsing, you aggressively go the ground and stick them in the ground like a running back changing direction which winds/loads and unwinds/unloads the hips and torso automatically, instead of really trying to rotate them. You just need to swing your lead shoulder further back for disc golf and the trail shoulder moves out of the way into center to really swing the lead shoulder.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:14 AM
Par Member

I've been rotating a few drills, so apologies if I seem a bit all over the place.

Couple clips of swing drills, switching between FH/BH. Just trying to mirror my swing, and slowly but surely smooth things out. With my World Champ KC hat on my focus was keeping good posture, and moving off my left side, more similar to how I move off my right side.

5 months ago is the last time I did field work; although I continue to practice/think about this stuff often, I'm sure not being able to see how the disc fly's out of my hand is at least slowing down or limiting my progress a little bit. I bring this up because the feeling/sensations I have now with the swing, it doesn't feel nearly as powerful as my more flawed form.

As always, thank you all for your help

Old 02-14-2020, 11:53 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 173 Times in 120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet57 View Post

5 months ago is the last time I did field work; although I continue to practice/think about this stuff often, I'm sure not being able to see how the disc fly's out of my hand is at least slowing down or limiting my progress a little bit. I bring this up because the feeling/sensations I have now with the swing, it doesn't feel nearly as powerful as my more flawed form.

Feeling powerful doesn't necessarily = power. Leverage is the key. When you hammer a nail into a wall, do you feel powerful? Or do you feel connected to the weight of the hammer?

As far field work is concerned, I think it's helpful to get feedback from the disc, at least periodically.

Old 02-14-2020, 12:27 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 84 Times in 71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack504 View Post
Feeling powerful doesn't necessarily = power. Leverage is the key. When you hammer a nail into a wall, do you feel powerful? Or do you feel connected to the weight of the hammer?.

Hit the nail on the head!

...I’ll see myself out.

Seriously though, that’s a great nugget right there that could help a lot of folks!