Old 02-14-2020, 11:54 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 140
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 479 Times in 215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateWesternSky View Post
How is Hannah not a vlogger? She has tripled the amount of subscribers Paul had on his YT channel since she started vlogging.

Also, you said "only the fanbois care" immediately after expressing your strong opinion of something. I guess that makes you a fanboi.
During disc golf tournaments, I register for the Open division. But, that doesn't make me a professional disc golfer...

I was simply sharing my opinion and answering the question from my perspective. I do not expect anyone to care, or change what they're doing because I don't like it.

As I said above, and you confirmed, people are eating it up (tripled the number of subscribers Paul has). So, there is obviously a market for the content, I'm just not interested.

Here's the thing I don't understand about vloggers/vlogging - How is there an audience? Why do people like to watch someone else's life instead of living their own... Especially people with relatively boring lives...
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 02-14-2020, 11:59 AM

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 69
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Tuna View Post
Here's the thing I don't understand about vloggers/vlogging - How is there an audience? Why do people like to watch someone else's life instead of living their own... Especially people with relatively boring lives...
Personally I watch a lot more disc golf vlogs and random videos when the weather around here is too miserable for me to get out and play.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-14-2020, 12:05 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 271
Niced 209 Times in 83 Posts

Quote:
Here's the thing I don't understand about vloggers/vlogging - How is there an audience? Why do people like to watch someone else's life instead of living their own...
The two are not mutually exclusive. I can do both!!
Old 02-14-2020, 12:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1,256 Times in 679 Posts

Quote:
How is Hannah not a vlogger? ....
Plus she has this other youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEP...emfB7nA/videos

Old 02-14-2020, 12:39 PM
Par Member

Niced 144 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
I can't imagine your thoughts on TV/movie audiences. That's people watching the lives of other people... who don't even exist! It's actually actors pretending to go through various scenarios.

Audiences are a group of people who go out of their way to experience something entertaining, right? So obviously vlogging audiences exist because people find the vlogs entertaining.

Surely you are capable of realizing that not every other human shares your exact sense of entertainment. That's really as much thought as you should put into it. Trying to figure out why people like what they like is a long road to go down.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:43 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
Plus she has this other youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEP...emfB7nA/videos
I'm confused. Is there some sort of joke about Hannah and that channel?

Old 02-14-2020, 01:01 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 73
Niced 1,470 Times in 357 Posts

Quote:
It's a parasocial relationship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraso..._relationships

You may be familiar with this concept already: people who are fans of and watch many episodes of some TV talk show host, or follow some movie star, and piece together many bits of personal info about them, and then feel as if they are acquainted with them or are even friends with them. They're not, because the TV or the movie screen are one-way conduits.

For fans of disc golf vloggers, particularly the fans who don't play a lot of tournaments or who don't tour (and thus don't have actual relationships with the vloggers), these one-way bits of video, especially since they are "slice of life" content, create an illusory relationship. If you've seen the inside of a disc golfer's bathroom, know what toothpaste they use, have "ridden along" on a road trip with them in the form of an on-the-road video, have watched them bake cookies, and so on, then that feels a lot like an actual friend with whom you have shared the same intimacy.

It's not, though, it's illusory. But for some, that illusion is compelling and feels good and they seek it out.

Old 02-14-2020, 01:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1,256 Times in 679 Posts

Quote:
I'm confused. Is there some sort of joke about Hannah and that channel?
No, I just thought they looked alike.

Old 02-14-2020, 02:06 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 140
Niced 479 Times in 215 Posts

Quote:
I can't imagine your thoughts on TV/movie audiences. That's people watching the lives of other people... who don't even exist! It's actually actors pretending to go through various scenarios.

Audiences are a group of people who go out of their way to experience something entertaining, right? So obviously vlogging audiences exist because people find the vlogs entertaining.

Surely you are capable of realizing that not every other human shares your exact sense of entertainment. That's really as much thought as you should put into it. Trying to figure out why people like what they like is a long road to go down.
I consider scripted television to be slightly less annoying than vlogging. In part because I think writers are forced to put more thought into the content. I also feel that vloggers get swallowed by the internet. Meaning, they don't have meaningful existence outside social media & their YT channel. Or, their world is so consumed with social media/vlogging, etc. that all of their references live within that world so it is harder for outsiders to keep up.

I have always been fascinated with the part of the brain that triggers appreciation. When I was younger, I wanted to perform a study to understand why people are drawn to their favorite genre of music, but I digress...

People are welcome to any form of entertainment they like. I guess I find such little value in vlogging, that I can't imagine being a fan of such nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova P View Post
It's a parasocial relationship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraso..._relationships

You may be familiar with this concept already: people who are fans of and watch many episodes of some TV talk show host, or follow some movie star, and piece together many bits of personal info about them, and then feel as if they are acquainted with them or are even friends with them. They're not, because the TV or the movie screen are one-way conduits.

For fans of disc golf vloggers, particularly the fans who don't play a lot of tournaments or who don't tour (and thus don't have actual relationships with the vloggers), these one-way bits of video, especially since they are "slice of life" content, create an illusory relationship. If you've seen the inside of a disc golfer's bathroom, know what toothpaste they use, have "ridden along" on a road trip with them in the form of an on-the-road video, have watched them bake cookies, and so on, then that feels a lot like an actual friend with whom you have shared the same intimacy.

It's not, though, it's illusory. But for some, that illusion is compelling and feels good and they seek it out.
Yeah, I get the context, I just think it's dumb and a little sad...
The same goes for my hockey buddies that talk about members of our local professional team as if they were out there skating in our beer league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
No, I just thought they looked alike.
If I may "be a dude" for a moment.
Hannah is cute, but Mia is hot!...

Old 02-14-2020, 03:03 PM
Par Member

Quote:
I guess I find such little value in vlogging, that I can't imagine being a fan of such nonsense.
Than maybe don't share your opinions on the subject, especially if you are going to tell people what they should and (in this case) shouldn't do.