Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 02-14-2020, 06:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,390 Times in 535 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
How exactly would you come to have this information about your card mates? Usually convicted criminals usually don't include that in their introduction. "Hey guys, I'm Bob. I play disc golf, and in my spare time i traffic underage girls to disgusting human beings and distribute meth to school kids while planning my next mall bombing". Usually that's not how it goes ....
Disc golfers don't come out of no where. People know each other.
Locally we knew a player had been sent away and why, public records help plus the Internet has search features. Once he got out others spoke up about a 2nd one who had been convicted. Again, public records and the Internet.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2020, 08:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 330
Niced 3,043 Times in 1,421 Posts

@ Jake:
I'm not saying people post this sort of stuff on their Facebook page, but assuming they're part of your community and know people, it's conceivable people know they were convicted, and what they were convicted for. Let's face it: people talk.

Maybe you have kids and want to know if there's any convicted sex offenders in the area. So you search for convicted sex offenders by zip, and to your astonishment you see the name of someone you've played with several times. Of course he's a nice guy... he's gotta be charming to lure victims.

And now he's on your card.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 02-14-2020 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:14 PM
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 169
Niced 2,523 Times in 1,166 Posts

I'm definitely not playing with Dustin Keegan. There's no telling what he's done in his unsavory past.

Old 02-14-2020, 08:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 88
Niced 2,021 Times in 807 Posts

I kind of figure if someone has been convicted and already served then they've done their time and I guess I'd treat them like anyone else - I think. I've played lots of rounds with people who have served time for petty crime and I don't have an issue with that. But something like whats in the OP I have no idea how I'd react.

If I were TD and someone came to me and said that their cardmate was a child molester or rapist or whatever and wanted to be on a different card...yikes. I'd want to move them to another card but then that opens quite a can of worms. What do you do when a bunch of people don't want to play with the undesirable player for the same reason? That'd be tough to deal with. :/
Old 02-14-2020, 09:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 127
Niced 3,891 Times in 1,643 Posts

I've played with guys who over-rated their home course. It doesn't get any worse than that.

Old 02-14-2020, 09:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
I kind of figure if someone has been convicted and already served then they've done their time and I guess I'd treat them like anyone else - I think. I've played lots of rounds with people who have served time for petty crime and I don't have an issue with that. But something like whats in the OP I have no idea how I'd react.
Yeah, I'm talking serious, harmful crimes. I don't care If you did time for drunk and disorderly, fraud, assault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
If I were TD and someone came to me and said that their cardmate was a child molester or rapist or whatever and wanted to be on a different card...yikes. I'd want to move them to another card but then that opens quite a can of worms. What do you do when a bunch of people don't want to play with the undesirable player for the same reason? That'd be tough to deal with. :/
That's kinda why I think it's on me. I'm the one who doesn't wanna play with the dude. Not sure I should make it the TD's problem... they're just trying to run an event. Not like he can tell the guy he can't play assuming he's done his time/paid debt to society.

And how does it work if two players register for an event, and one has a restraining order on another?
Old 02-14-2020, 09:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.9
Courses Played: 248
Niced 2,303 Times in 901 Posts

People are sick in many, many different ways. I try not to judge people, including those who have paid for their mistakes and hopefully are trying to move toward making better choices and/or getting better.

Old 02-14-2020, 09:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 88
Niced 2,021 Times in 807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post

And how does it work if two players register for an event, and one has a restraining order on another?
I think the responsibility falls on those players themselves - in my rather limited understanding of how restraining orders work - both individuals are legally responsible for staying away from each other. You would think that if a dg'er gets a restraining order on another dg'er that either one or both would be smart enough to check registration lists prior to showing up to a tourney. If I were TD I guess I'd tell one or both of them to figure it out before tee off. If they don't make a fuss I sure as hell won't. My position is TD - not cop.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 48.2
Courses Played: 60
Niced 389 Times in 214 Posts

Restraining orders are usually one of two things depending on the local laws and jurisdiction at public and private places and events. One: the second to arrive must leave when noticed regardless of paid fees, reservations, etc. Two: restraining order holder ejects the second party on arrival or noticing.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by MarkDSM; 02-14-2020 at 09:48 PM.

Old 02-14-2020, 09:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDSM View Post
Restraining orders are usually one of two things depending on the local laws and jurisdiction at public places and events. One: the second to arrive must leave regardless of paid fees, reservations, etc. Two: restraining order holder ejects the second party.
Thanks.

Makes sense, since it'ss really a legal matter, I'd think the terms of the restraining order could vary by state or even at the local level. I can see how both scenarios you mentioned make sense, depending on local, county, state law.

Although I tend to agree with the 2nd one more, based on my belief that to have a order issued against someone, it has to go through a judge and have been seemed to have genuine merit.

Kinda glad to be ignorant about such matters.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 02-14-2020 at 09:59 PM.