Old 02-01-2020, 06:16 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.6
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 115 Times in 57 Posts

Another stoked post

First, I threw a perfect tee shot on a tricky short par 3: A very sharp 230' hyzer with my buzzz that carved a gap and around a tree just as I had visualized it, including the height throughout the flight, and landed exactly on my target (a small opening in the bushes before the "green," allowing me an unobstructed birdie putt). That was a first for me, to nail a line and a full flight perfectly. So I'm really happy about it. The hipster in me also likes that it wasn't a park job.

Second, I'm super stoked about throwing my Teebird3. I think it's because I can throw it far (for me), but also because it's an overstable disc of speed 8 that I'm able to release flat and get some turn and a slow fade. That disc really cooks when you throw it well. My success rate for getting it on a long, straight line is about 50%. Sometimes I get nose up and hyzer out. I feel like I'm cheating on my Leopard.

For some reason, my Opto River is waaaay too flippy. Way more than my beat in Champ Leopard, like it's a problem. The first few times I bagged it, I fell in love with the glide while throwing it somewhat softly, but now I have to release it on a lot of hyzer to keep it in play, and it's not really beat in or anything. I wonder if I just got a bad disc, because my arm isn't fast enough to do that with a fairway driver.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2020, 11:55 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 19
Niced 51 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco40 View Post
For some reason, my Opto River is waaaay too flippy. Way more than my beat in Champ Leopard, like it's a problem. The first few times I bagged it, I fell in love with the glide while throwing it somewhat softly, but now I have to release it on a lot of hyzer to keep it in play, and it's not really beat in or anything. I wonder if I just got a bad disc, because my arm isn't fast enough to do that with a fairway driver.
I have a gold line River, which is a little flippy now for me. I have to throw it smooth and in fairly calm wind conditions. The Opto version of it should be more stable, so it at least comes back on you. It could be weird run or maybe you are angling your wrist too much?
Old 02-02-2020, 12:41 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odedge View Post
I have a gold line River, which is a little flippy now for me. I have to throw it smooth and in fairly calm wind conditions. The Opto version of it should be more stable, so it at least comes back on you. It could be weird run or maybe you are angling your wrist too much?
My gold line River isn't very flippy, but when I throw the Opto River with the same touch of hyzer that makes my Champ Leopard get up and fly straight (well, essentially straight), the River gets up and goes way, way right before fading about halfway back as far as it turned. I'm lucky to get it in the fairway. And that happens on throws as short as 280' so I suspect it's a fault in the disc. I'll keep messing with it though, it doesn't hurt to have discs that do very different things.

In a headwind the effect is seriously magnified, so I did figure out quickly that the River is a fairweather disc. On that note, the Champ Teebird3 is holding up in all kinds of wind for me quite nicely.

Last edited by disco40; 02-02-2020 at 12:43 AM.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:03 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco40 View Post
My gold line River isn't very flippy, but when I throw the Opto River with the same touch of hyzer that makes my Champ Leopard get up and fly straight (well, essentially straight), the River gets up and goes way, way right before fading about halfway back as far as it turned. I'm lucky to get it in the fairway. And that happens on throws as short as 280' so I suspect it's a fault in the disc. I'll keep messing with it though, it doesn't hurt to have discs that do very different things.

In a headwind, the effect is seriously magnified, so I did figure out quickly that the River is a fairweather disc. On that note, the Champ Teebird3 is holding up in all kinds of wind for me quite nicely.
From what I have read and heard, Opto plastic should be slightly more overstable than gold line. I am sure with all companies, some more than others, there are going to be variations in both plastic and molding consistency through out runs.

Lastly, even though flight numbers are generalizations, they can vary even more, based on where the discs are thrown. I was shocked that my fairly neutral flying Lattitude64 Flow that has a little bit of reliable fade at around 2000' in elevation almost became a roller disc at sea level! I have never thrown an actual roller yet since the ground is so rough around here.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-14-2020, 09:10 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odedge View Post
From what I have read and heard, Opto plastic should be slightly more overstable than gold line. I am sure with all companies, some more than others, there are going to be variations in both plastic and molding consistency through out runs.

Lastly, even though flight numbers are generalizations, they can vary even more, based on where the discs are thrown. I was shocked that my fairly neutral flying Lattitude64 Flow that has a little bit of reliable fade at around 2000' in elevation almost became a roller disc at sea level! I have never thrown an actual roller yet since the ground is so rough around here.
After playing around with this disc a lot, I'm convinced that it's just a "bad" disc. It really flips hard where my Leopard and Teebird3 hold the line. Cool though, because I can use a disc like that!

Speaking of flippy, I'm getting to a point in my game where I really need to reliably turn a disc over for 200'-300' shots.

Picked up a Comet and will try that out, and see what it does when I throw it just like a powered up Buzzz throw (which goes very straight for me). If it turns, good. I bag a BuzzzSS that in ESP that is now nicely seasoned, but to be honest, it just flies like a Buzzz. It's easier for me to start it on a big anhyzer than a Buzzz, but it doesn't turn over from flat, it just does the Buzzz thing with a straighter finish for me.

Maybe I misunderstand the disc, but it isn't really doing much for me except on a couple of specific holes. I can accomplish most of what I want to do with just a Buzzz on a subtle anhyzer.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:18 PM
Par Member

Ramblings

Still not learning the forehand, but I am throwing them from trouble and for certain approaches. No full shots. I'm still worried about injury so I take it easy with these. Maybe next month!

Played easily my best round this morning, a 57 at a course with an SSE of 51, with half the holes being woods and lots of elevation. That SSE seems significantly inflated to me (a "scratch" DGer should really be more like -8 or something?), but still I know it was a pretty respectable round at +3.

Also played 57 holes total today which is crazy considering that when I started 5 months ago, 18 holes absolutely destroyed me, and I usually only played 9-12 holes before packing it in.

I think I'm moving past the beginner phase finally. The main indicator for this is scrambling for par is now the expected result on all but the toughest holes, with occasional birdie looks and frequent easy layups. I'm also hitting gaps more frequently than missing them. My previous estimate of hitting 1/3 of my lines, acceptably missing 1/3, and shanking 1/3 has shifted to something more like hitting 2/5 of my lines, acceptably missing 2/5, and shanking 1/5.

No increase in distance from last month, but consistency off the tee is much better. I did inexplicably bomb one uphill 340' today, but that is not normal. My distance is still about 270'-280' unless I'm really going for it.

The Missouri weather has been amazingly kind for Jan/Feb. Today was sunny and 57.

Best of all I'm still stoked for disc golf.

"In The Bag"

Fairway Drivers: Champ Teebird3, Champ Leopard each get about equal play, though I favor the Leopard slightly.
Mids: Mostly ESP Buzzz, ESP BuzzzSS, and I'm working in a Z Comet here and there.
Putt/Approach: Luna, and the Fierce is working in sometimes.

Utility: This is a fun slot to have added to my game. I have a Firebird for little forehand and approach spots and odd holes, and a flippy Opto River for tee shots that need to turn a lot.

I want to add something speed 9 (that isn't a Firebird). I was thinking Undertaker or Viking looked like decent choices. Something I can throw flat.

Old 02-24-2020, 02:01 AM
Bogey Member

Sounds like you are moving out of the beginner phase. If you continue to use forehands for anything but drives... you will be better equipped when you do add them as a drive. Even if you didn't, I think they are more beneficial for upshots and such.

I remember when an 18 hole 4000'ish course was a challenge physically, now I can play 3 of them without a major issue. I still get a bit tired, which affects my game, but I am not worn out.

Consistency will always be more useful than distance. Even now when I can hit 375-385' with my best throws... I still want that consistency, which I am still struggling with.

I haven't thrown the Undertaker or Viking... but I know Kastaplast has the Lots with similar numbers [haven't thrown it] and I believe the Escape from DD is also a similar disc. Regarding a not so "speed 9" disc, I have recently been throwing the Explorer [Opto] from Lat64 and that disc flies great for me at around 2000'. It doesn't really turn at all and has a reliable gentle fade.

Old 02-24-2020, 02:21 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 161
Niced 156 Times in 114 Posts

Sounds like you are making progress! There are lots of good options at speed 9. I don't have any experience with the Undertaker or Viking but I can recommend the Roadrunner, Sidewinder, Valkyrie and Thunderbird.

Old 02-24-2020, 03:51 PM

Courses Played: 6
Niced 68 Times in 23 Posts

I like reading your posts, disco40, because we're at a similar level. I also haven't thrown the Undertaker or Viking but I've thrown the Roadrunner, Sidewinder, Valkyrie, and Thunderbird. I like them all, but the Valkyrie is my favorite. Good disc for a beginner to get some distance.

Old 03-01-2020, 03:55 PM
Par Member

Ordered a Sidewinder (and a Sol for midrange turnover shots).

Couple things to ramble about today, forehands and wind.

I've been worried about hurting myself with forehands, but the last few sessions (~100 holes) I've played around with them quite a bit. Mostly for trouble and certain approaches, but also for a few short "forehand holes" or layup shots that are 200' or under. It's immediately obvious why people use very overstable higher-speed discs for these shots, and also obvious why learning forehands with slower discs is the path to good technique (slower discs with thinner rims are super touchy!). Throwing a baby flex-type shot that gets tons of action is pretty cool, and there isn't really a backhand equivalent to it.

Also on the topic of faster OS discs, wind is a thing. I've played in the wind plenty of times, but the last couple of months the windy days haven't been all that bad and the effect has been minimal. Today I played in some heavier wind and was very glad that I bagged a Firebird and Destroyer. I can only throw them 270' in a headwind, but I get pretty consistent results from these kinds of low skippy throws where the disc sort of hovers. Everything else I usually throw for distance (Teebird3, Leopard) was getting beat to hell and back, and even a little bit of nose-up resulted in comedy.

It's also weird learning to throw nose down at a high angle. I need to practice this.