Old 07-01-2019, 01:11 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 0.9
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 39 Times in 24 Posts
Default Do you ever really use a Glow disc?

Before my post count gets too high and I have to post in the 'regular' section... I wanted to ask what is probably a dumb question...

I have a couple of glow discs - one is a Moonstone Claymore I got used at a tournament event, and another is a Discraft Ultimate disc I bought for throwing in the evenings in the yard.

Neither seems to actually glow all that much. I've put on top of lamps, left in front of a window during the day, or had sitting in the kitchen ceiling lights. Even though you can see a little bit of a glow outside, it isn't much, and it doesn't last long.

So this seemed like a good place to ask - is the glow plastic just a gimmick? Do you really use it outside at night? If so, how much light did you give it?

Maybe I'm just spoiled by my Nite-Ize light up disc... but that's not technically a glow disc. What is your experience?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2019, 01:19 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 640 Times in 241 Posts

I haven’t had a chance to play a glo round yet, but I’m told that the key to getting them really glowing is to use a UV flashlight.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 131
Niced 826 Times in 372 Posts

It varies by plastic type, some glow discs are awesome when hit with UV flashlight others are mediocre at best despite whatever light source you try. Dont care much for old Champ/Z type plastic glow myself. But some of the new color glow plastic works quite well.

While not a problem now, the glow plastic doesnt like work much when temp gets near freezing either. Most the folks I know who play Glow regularly lean towards the flat LED lights you can tape on as they work the best.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-01-2019, 01:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 330
Niced 3,097 Times in 1,442 Posts

I know this to be true from personal experience: UV Flashlights work WAYYY better than conventional flashlights.
The difference is impossible to ignore.

Now for conjecture:
I've heard that continuously/regularly exposing glow discs to light (particularly sunlight), reduces their ability to "hold a charge," in terms of intensity, and perhaps more so in terms of duration.

I had a Moonlight Diamond that I used in my regular bag for a while, so it was exposed to plenty of sunlight on a regular basis.
When I used it during a glow round, it didn't glow very brightly, nor did it hold a charge very long... got very difficult to find, even using UV flashlight to charge it.

I now keep my glow discs zipped up in their own bag in a closet, so as minimize their exposure to light when not being used for glow rounds. While I have no data to support that storing them in the dark works better, my personal observation is that its works quite well.... and I certainly can't imagine that it hurts.

FWIW - Personally prefer using glow discs to taped on lights.. but to a certain degree, that's personal preference.
I just know I've never had a tree-hit "knock the glow" off the disc. Nor have I had trouble finding a glow that landed upside-down.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 07-01-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,805 Times in 1,009 Posts

I have Glow discs in my bag all the time, like how the plastic feels.. .two of my most used disc are in glow plastic

But one "real" glow round a year
Old 07-01-2019, 02:44 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 51 Times in 31 Posts

I haven't played any, but my MS Westside Queen I bought last year is finally going some distance and getting to be one of my faves. I've got a Explorer in glo as well, they seem to glow when under a lot of lot or as they say UV but...I just like the feel of the plastic...
Old 07-01-2019, 02:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 109
Niced 227 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutrbug View Post
Before my post count gets too high and I have to post in the 'regular' section... I wanted to ask what is probably a dumb question...

I have a couple of glow discs - one is a Moonstone Claymore I got used at a tournament event, and another is a Discraft Ultimate disc I bought for throwing in the evenings in the yard.

Neither seems to actually glow all that much. I've put on top of lamps, left in front of a window during the day, or had sitting in the kitchen ceiling lights. Even though you can see a little bit of a glow outside, it isn't much, and it doesn't last long.

So this seemed like a good place to ask - is the glow plastic just a gimmick? Do you really use it outside at night? If so, how much light did you give it?

Maybe I'm just spoiled by my Nite-Ize light up disc... but that's not technically a glow disc. What is your experience?
Nite ize i feel are too bright sometimes and ruin your night vision. Bring a black light flashligh and charge the glow disc for each shot stays plenty bright to see and the black light doesn't effect night vision.

Old 07-01-2019, 03:12 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 0.9
Courses Played: 7
Niced 39 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiac View Post
Nite ize i feel are too bright sometimes and ruin your night vision. Bring a black light flashligh and charge the glow disc for each shot stays plenty bright to see and the black light doesn't effect night vision.
I use the Nite-Ize in the yard with my 7yo, and I do admit to using a Nite-Ize putter for my cheap target in the back yard... but I don't think they fly well enough to actually throw for any real distance.

I appreciate all of the replies! I was really thinking of trying to keep my discs glowing enough to play in the back yard with my target - I didn't even realize that they made UV flashlights so you could recharge on the go! Per the pictures on the Amazon page, most people use them for pet stain and scorpion locating... ugh. But the Amazon's Choice flashlight has a 40% off coupon today, so there's one on the way now. This worked out great. I think playing a whole round at night now will be a real hoot. Thanks, all!
Old 07-01-2019, 03:13 PM
Par Member

Niced 143 Times in 93 Posts

I use glow discs and LED lights a lot during the short days in early spring and late fall. UV flashlight is ideal for the glow plastic, but I prefer taping lights onto the discs for visibility.

Different glow plastic from different companies varies in effectiveness. I have never had any luck with moonshine plastic. Innova champ glow is also okay at best. Color glow from Innova is best.

Niced: (2)

Old 07-01-2019, 04:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 5
Niced 932 Times in 646 Posts

The UV light is indispensable!!!! Good to charge and awesome to look for discs.. Shine it around the bushes and it recharges your glow disc so you spot it after you move the light. It also works on my Halloween glow envy's with neon rims, they just jump out!

Not so good to walk with a UV light though.. And I concur on wearing the glow out with sunlight.. But if you know you are playing glow pull em out for the last hour or so of light and for a pre charge, at least I do.

Niced: (1)