Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 12-06-2010, 12:28 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default They should change the name of advanved masters to intermediate masters

I'm new to disc golf, this is my first year playing MM1 tournaments. Can someone shed some light on why they do this. I dont know about other states but some of the tournaments i played here in texas advanced masters play intermediate boxes but pay the same fee as the advanced division. Me personally would like to play the same boxes as the advanced division but with people my age. When I sign up for a tournament I dont know if I will be playing long or short boxes until the day of the tournament, I guess i could call the td and ask...

If I'm going to play the same boxes as the intermediate and rec players I think I should pay the same fee as them. Maybe thats why there is a low turn out for mm1, pay more get less..

During sign up if they would say Intermediate masters then i know it's from short boxes and if advanced masters then from long boxes. The mm1 players i play with rather play the long boxes,

This is not a complaint just trying to understand why they do this..

disc golf 4ever
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2010, 12:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,418 Times in 978 Posts

no such thing as intermediate masters according to the pdga... imo they should just call them am masters.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:37 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31
Courses Played: 702
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,896 Times in 841 Posts

Advanced Masters ratings fall in the Intermediate range with very few Advanced Masters with ratings above 934 unless they are preparing for Am Worlds or avoiding a move to Pro Masters where they would still be competitive. If you want to play the Advanced tees, you are welcome to enter regular Advanced and even earn more points. If you want to play with players your age then you sometimes, but not always, play the shorter tees that match your skill level in Advanced Masters or you may play up in Pro Masters and not lose your Am status unless you accept cash. You already have more division choices as it is than players under age 40.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts
Send a message via AIM to billnchristy

I dont see why masters should play shorts, grandmasters I can see and beyond that, but "ADV" masters should play the same course as pro masters.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 360
Niced 739 Times in 260 Posts

Just play in a tournament where everyone plays the same course. Problem solved.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:51 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 160 Times in 93 Posts

If there is an adjective of "Advanced" in the division's name, that is the "top" amateur grouping there is...regardless of any age-"protection" designation...and therefore should use the same tees as the "regular Advanced" (not longer ones, not shorter ones). "Advanced" is "advanced" is "advanced". If the tournament director is doing anything other than that, s/he is doing that group a disservice. If the TD believes a certain(s) specific "advanced" group can't "keep up" (in either distance or playing speed) with the Advanced group, all that should have been spelled out WAY prior to the actual tournament - like in the flyer. Either that or the TD shouldn't hold those age-"protected" advanced divisions.

Karl
Old 12-06-2010, 12:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts
Send a message via AIM to billnchristy

Agreed. Advanced women have the ratings of "novice" male players but should not be pandered to. They should play the same course the pro women are playing who should be playing the same course the pro men are playing.

If, as Biscoe says, the name was changed to Am. Masters then you could argue they could play any tee but with the connotation of Advanced, they should play the same course as male adv. which should be the same course as pro.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:05 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31
Courses Played: 702
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,896 Times in 841 Posts

If Advanced "any age" should get treated the same, there's little reason for those age divisions. Might as well eliminate the master division and just start with GM at 50 like the Vibram. I'll go on a limb and make the blanket statement that no course shows the flaws in your game like courses suited to your skill range and no courses will improve your game like practicing courses in your skill range. I think many players are more nervous playing courses (I know I am) where they know the holes are in their wheelhouse if they play well. Puts more pressure on you. If the course is longer/tougher, you don't psychologically have as much at stake if you wouldn't be expected to park many of the holes anyway and can play for "easy" threes like the rest in your division.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 160 Times in 93 Posts

There may come a time when there are enough people playing dg to split out via (at the same time) both age groupings and ability grouping; and thus you might get the need for Int Masters, Nov GMs, etc. (depending on demographics). I think a long time ago there WAS an Int Masters in dg (the REAL old-timers can correct me if I'm wrong) although maybe this was just a regional thing - not sure.

Karl

Old 12-06-2010, 01:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 573 Times in 246 Posts

Want a little cheese with that vintage whine??
It's a tournament.
As long as everyone in the Division plays from the same tees, Why does it matter where other divisions play?
Am I misunderwstanding the OP??
What's the point?
I'll play from a painted tee in the parking lot, as long as everyone in my division plays from the same tee.
Which tees to play is the TD's call.
Shut up and throw.