Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 09-23-2011, 06:13 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 81
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Do I really need an understable fairway driver?

I'm thinking not. I have some Star Leopards in my bag that rarely get tossed and I'm questioning whether I actually need them. Here's why:

1. I have a Star Stingray that acts as a 'tweener between a mid and a driver.
2. I have Star Valks that are my go-to understable distance drivers.
3. I've been developing my FH throw that covers a lot of the same flight path as a lot of the turnover drives that I was throwing with my understable fairway driver.

So seeing as I have the understable distance covered between the Stingrays and the Valks, and I have the flight path covered by both the understable discs and the FH throws, do I really need an understable fairway driver?
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-23-2011, 06:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.9
Courses Played: 156
Niced 11 Times in 10 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic

I have recently reverted back to powering down on a sidewinder/roadrunner in the woods....thrown hyzer I have way more control and added D over my mids......the past year I messed around too much with more stable stuff much to my detriment

I don't have a FH as u well know lol...Ive seen some good players get plenty of D out of the stingray....I don't throw valks but with their glide and thrown with enough anny and snap they mimick understables with the bonus of added stability at the end of their flight (important to prevent cut rolling on annys)

I'd say your fine and less disc choices is a good thing
Old 09-23-2011, 06:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 17
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Well, I always wondered what the big deal was we made between a speed 6 and a speed 5 but then often think of a speed 6 and a speed 7 both as fairways. Stingrays have always been decently long for me. But then, what do you have that is speed 4 that is possibly then overlapping with your speed 5 Stingray? Do you need that then?

I guess what I am getting at is it is up to you and depends on what else you carry. Looking at a disc in isolation, you could easily say you need it or you don't; but you get a bigger picture looking at your overall bag.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 31
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

I wonder myself...as I've pushed out distance on mids and have gotten better and powering down PDs, fairway driver usage in general is really minimal for me.

But my ELs (a just broken in and a beat in one) are there for those couple shots when I need them...
Old 09-23-2011, 08:31 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 14.9
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Leopards will finish much straighter and fly very long for their speed class than a valkyrie. This is key in the woods. There are many tight gaps on par 4s/5s on the courses I play where it is much easier to hit the gap and finish straight with a leopard rather than a higher speed disc like a valkyrie.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:43 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 138
Niced 13 Times in 3 Posts

i think it is all about the finish... if you have the confidence and power to yuck a mid to get the same results as a fairway driver, then do it - those mids are likely going to sit down a little nicer than a driver.

personally, i have a varying range in my bag.. i do have understable fairways (vision, river) whose purpose can be served with a mid - or even a FH shot. but it is nice to have those in the bag as options for those "tweener" holes that might require a little more shot.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 47
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

A nice River never hurt anybody .
Old 09-23-2011, 08:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 339
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiz View Post
Leopards will finish much straighter and fly very long for their speed class than a valkyrie. This is key in the woods. There are many tight gaps on par 4s/5s on the courses I play where it is much easier to hit the gap and finish straight with a leopard rather than a higher speed disc like a valkyrie.
I use a Cyclone for this but yeah, I completely agree.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 71
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

you will have a small gap in your bag most likely but it probably won't be that detrimental. it really comes down to your distances with said discs and what kind of courses you play. i actually just added the leopard back to my bag for the same reason, i felt like there was too much of a gap between my mids and PDs. i also have a good forehand shot. but my mids are slow (roc/comet) and the gap became obvious. i also like the leopard because i can use my '60% power half-reachback throw' that gives me about 250' with a mid and get 300'+ with the leopard.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 77
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you are learning to FH I would say keeping an understable fairway is a good idea. They are great disc's for learning to throw a good FH shot. If you can throw a leo stright and accurate FH you will be able to FH almost any disc. Most people stick to the overstable stuff for there FH shots because it hides bad form. Just like BH if you improve your form the FH shot will be much more usefull. I am a prodomaniatly FH player due to injorys and it took me a long time to understand how to throw understable disc's FH, but once I did my game has vastily improved. I would say keep one of the Leos in the bag and learn to FH it.