Old 08-07-2019, 10:46 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 36 Times in 21 Posts

I've thrown lots of Valks and Roadrunners, the Roadrunners are consistently more understable. Not sure what can explain your experience.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2019, 11:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 219
Niced 1,989 Times in 1,145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Is there a trick to Roadrunners? If there is I'm not getting it.

I've got a 166g beat Star Roadrunner that is flat as a board. The only guy I knew that threw Roadrunners said the flat ones were the best. It was meh, didn't really turn or glide like I expected and never really got any better as long as I threw it, which was quite a while. I got a 169g Echo Star Roadrunner that is also pretty seasoned; discspeed said that the Roadrunner throwers he knew said they were great Roadrunners. It was a little better, had a little more glide. Still pretty meh, still really didn't turn no matter how long I threw it. I got a 165 Echo Star to be a backup and HOLY COW does it have a pop top dome; it still really didn't turn much and I hated myself for owning it. It's such a horrible looking disc I'd be embarrassed to be seen throwing it. I got a 175 GStar in a trade somewhere along the line that I really didn't want but it's here; haven't really thrown it other than some field testing.

I just picked up a 166g Barsby and thought I'd really give them a try again (despite throwing them with no success for three years) so I have the five of them. The Barsby again still really had no turn. None of them really seem to climb much i.e. they just run out on a low line with no lift. They go pretty far for a disc that never gets in the air, but a Valk will get up in the air and glide farther. I can also get a Valk to turn.

Am I just throwing them wrong? What am I missing? I'm really trying to like them, but they just are not cooperating.
ive seen some domey stars glide for days on a gentle hyzer flip at 75% and some stars that turn and burn and some that fly like the champ counterparts

ive seen some domey and flat champ turds that have no glide and have good fade and ive seen some beat champs make the smoothest farthest turnovers ive seen

it seems to be the old innova wildcard game
Old 08-07-2019, 11:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,207 Times in 563 Posts

I throw Roadrunners and I've found they need a lot of snap/spin.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:17 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,451 Times in 746 Posts

I agree on the snap. You need to get them spinning. It's why my noodle arm bags a 164 Champ.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,596 Times in 1,648 Posts

I've thrown a handful of star and Gstar and all of them have been nicely understable. They needed a nose down hyzer release, ideally upward instead of a <10' line drive, and would turn over through the apex and glide out real far. Not so understable that they'll burn, but all the ones I have tried would definitely go right from a hyzer for me. In comparison I have thrown Champ Sidewinders that I could throw full power flat and they would drift right but fade back...like a -1/2.5 and not at all expected based on a "usual" Sidewinder.

Maybe try more nose down?

If you've got 5 of them and in that many different plastics it'd be so unlikely for them all to be freakishly OS.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:30 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25
Courses Played: 135
Niced 2,582 Times in 935 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
I throw Roadrunners and I've found they need a lot of snap/spin.
After I posted I thought "should I try more spin?" and then wondered why I didn't think of that for three years.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 167
Niced 472 Times in 217 Posts

I have had the same experience with Star Roadrunners in the low 160s. More stable than expected, and more finishing fade than expected. Granted, I don't throw real far.

I used a 150s JK Valk for years at my understable distance driver, paired with a 150s Star Valk as an S-curve driver. Now I use a 150s Plasma Insanity, which fills the Roadrunner role quite nicely after a few good tree hits.

I have seen others throw Roadrunners beautifully but for some reason it does not mesh with my throw. Could be a lack of nose down.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:38 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25
Courses Played: 135
Niced 2,582 Times in 935 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post
Granted, I don't throw real far.
I mean if I threw real far I wouldn't care that I couldn't throw a Roadrunner.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,228 Times in 539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
I mean if I threw real far I wouldn't care that I couldn't throw a Roadrunner.
Mongoose is a better Roadrunner.

Niced: (2)

Old 08-08-2019, 08:50 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 24
Niced 87 Times in 58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
I've thrown a handful of star and Gstar and all of them have been nicely understable. They needed a nose down hyzer release, ideally upward instead of a <10' line drive, and would turn over through the apex and glide out real far. Not so understable that they'll burn, but all the ones I have tried would definitely go right from a hyzer for me. In comparison I have thrown Champ Sidewinders that I could throw full power flat and they would drift right but fade back...like a -1/2.5 and not at all expected based on a "usual" Sidewinder.

Maybe try more nose down?

If you've got 5 of them and in that many different plastics it'd be so unlikely for them all to be freakishly OS.
The two g* RRs I have had were both VERY understable. The champs I have had have both been quite OS, with me putting a poop-ton of spin and power on them and them doing a large S curve and hyzering out. (This is >450'.)

I would like to try and find something in the middle, not too flippy (g*), not too OS (champ). Are stars any different?