Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 06-06-2016, 10:31 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Abandoned drivers for mids and putters now I can't throw drivers.

Hello everyone I have been playing for around 3 months now and like most I started throwing super high speed over stable drivers. After posting my form and receiving tips, I abandoned my high speed drivers and started only throwing putters and mid ranges. My game has improved immensely and I am averaging 225-250 with my putters (DX aviar, wizard, and a retro line pure). I am averaging 250-275 with my midranges (shark3, stingray, roc3, Vroc, Kc pro roc). I hyzer flip these discs and get a super straight flight out them which is exciting to me because I've never been able to do that before. Problem is I cannot throw any of my drivers with any kind of accuracy. I'll pick up my Valkyrie or discraft crank and can drive them well over 300 ft but that 300ft is often way right of the pin. Should I stick with the mids and putters for a little while longer or start trying to control my drivers?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2016, 10:37 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 30 Times in 27 Posts

Are you throwing right hand backhand? It would be concerning if you are turning over your Valkyrie and Crank after "discing down" since that is the main issue that should be solved by throwing mids and putters for a while. Your drivers should probably be acting more stable rather than less stable...

What weight and plastic are your Valkyrie and Crank? Are they fluttering out of your hand? Post video of yourself throwing these discs and the issue will probably become clear.

It does take a little while to transition back to drivers after discing down for a while.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:58 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

171 Valkyrie and 168 crank. They aren't flipping completely it just seems like they are ripping out of my hand later than they should be. Sometimes they fly straight and hyzer out at about 275' but I can tell they are flying to high. When I try and fix it (nose down) they fly beautifully out of my hand but just way right. No flutter on the discs at all and when they fly way right they go really far. I will post some video when tropical storm Colin clears out of south Florida. My game has drastically improved since throwing my mids and putters and I can throw the drivers further than before just with out any control.

Last edited by Akain132; 06-06-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:59 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Star Valkyrie and esp crank and RHBH
Old 06-06-2016, 11:17 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 126
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 906 Times in 400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akain132 View Post
171 Valkyrie and 168 crank. They aren't flipping completely it just seems like they are ripping out of my hand later than they should be. Sometimes they fly straight and hyzer out at about 275' but I can tell they are flying to high. When I try and fix it (nose down) they fly beautifully out of my hand but just way right. No flutter on the discs at all and when they fly way right they go really far. I will post some video when tropical storm Colin clears out of south Florida. My game has drastically improved since throwing my mids and putters and I can throw the drivers further than before just with out any control.
Do they start on your intended line and then just flip more than you want, or do they start flying too far to the right and fly essentially the line you wanted in the wrong direction?

If they're releasing from your hand too far to the right, it could be a grip issue that comes from going from small rim sizes (putters and mids) to your drivers. It might be helpful to work your way up with an intermediate disc...maybe something speed 7-ish like an eagle.

If you're getting the release on the line that you want but they flip more than desired, it could just be that your discs are getting too beat in for your new power. You could try hyzer-flipping them to fly straight lines, similar to what you've been doing with mids and putters.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.6
Courses Played: 248
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,737 Times in 757 Posts

Really, discing down is to aid with form development. Hyzer flipping is not solid form, it is a great shot to be used, but learning to pull a mid range/fairway driver hard and flat will pay dividends when moving back to drivers. This is the concept behind suggestions to move back to a disc like the Comet. Stay disced down and learn to pull your putters and mids on a straight, flat line.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:52 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
Do they start on your intended line and then just flip more than you want, or do they start flying too far to the right and fly essentially the line you wanted in the wrong direction?

If they're releasing from your hand too far to the right, it could be a grip issue that comes from going from small rim sizes (putters and mids) to your drivers. It might be helpful to work your way up with an intermediate disc...maybe something speed 7-ish like an eagle.

If you're getting the release on the line that you want but they flip more than desired, it could just be that your discs are getting too beat in for your new power. You could try hyzer-flipping them to fly straight lines, similar to what you've been doing with mids and putters.
I'm getting the line I want just in a different direction. Must be a grip issue I'm thinking. Thanks for the tips I'll break out my leopard3 and see what happens.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 21 Times in 17 Posts

mids and putters are also more nose angle forgiving than drivers. i can throw mids well over 300 but my drivers i still have some issues with nose angles on release. try to pay attention to getting the nose down.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:54 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Really, discing down is to aid with form development. Hyzer flipping is not solid form, it is a great shot to be used, but learning to pull a mid range/fairway driver hard and flat will pay dividends when moving back to drivers. This is the concept behind suggestions to move back to a disc like the Comet. Stay disced down and learn to pull your putters and mids on a straight, flat line.
Whenever I try to throw a putter or even a mid range flat they dive right. I've never heard of pulling my putters and mids on a straight line. How do I do that?

Old 06-06-2016, 12:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 212
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 286 Times in 170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akain132 View Post
Hello everyone I have been playing for around 3 months now and like most I started throwing super high speed over stable drivers. After posting my form and receiving tips, I abandoned my high speed drivers and started only throwing putters and mid ranges. My game has improved immensely and I am averaging 225-250 with my putters (DX aviar, wizard, and a retro line pure). I am averaging 250-275 with my midranges (shark3, stingray, roc3, Vroc, Kc pro roc). I hyzer flip these discs and get a super straight flight out them which is exciting to me because I've never been able to do that before. Problem is I cannot throw any of my drivers with any kind of accuracy. I'll pick up my Valkyrie or discraft crank and can drive them well over 300 ft but that 300ft is often way right of the pin. Should I stick with the mids and putters for a little while longer or start trying to control my drivers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Yes to everything said, and I am big on teaching to use putters and mids starting out, but don't get discouraged. #1 It's possible that the hyzer flip might be your natural throw. Will Schusterick is a top professional and he throws hyzer flip on nearly every drive he throws; he just has such superior arm speed that he can do that effectively with OS drivers. It's pretty remarkable to watch him hyzer flip his rollers. 2) maybe a disc up could help AFTER you get the height issue corrected.-- which leads to my final tip, and 3) try to correct the height thing by not changing anything other than this. With your same release just as your about to release the disc, kinda lean in to it really "hard and quick". In other words throw that same shot that you hyzer flip and it seems like you can't control it going too high and to the right, but just as you get ready to release, lean forward into the throw a little. See if that helps.