Old 05-11-2011, 10:58 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unhappy Help with black dye

I'm just getting into dying and having trouble getting the dye to really take. Using Rit black liquid dye. about half the bottle with two cups of water is the mixture I've been using. Heating it up on the stove til it's just wispy. using champion plastic of various colors. (light blue and yellow mainly) Basically the dye is taking forever to work. (like an hour?) and even then it's pretty light and transparent, not a real dark black like I want. I tried adding a drop of soap, as I saw someone suggest that. no difference. Any help here? I really want to keep working on this, but I need to figure out how to get good color. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2011, 11:12 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 28
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Champ plastic will always produce a transparent looking dye, it's just the nature of the plastic. Also try bringing your dye to a full rolling boil and then let it cool down. Rit is meant to be mixed into boiling water as a way to activate the dye. If the black still gives you problems use a dip in dark green after the black to darken it up
Old 05-11-2011, 12:07 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Even the liquid stuff needs to be boiled? If it's always transparent, how do you get results like this: http://bodytalkmarkham.com/discs/Dis...ingness.html#6

I've heard about dark green before...might have to give it a try. seems counter intuitive.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Are you leaving the disc on the heat or taking it off the stove? If you remove the heat Champ plastic will take about 2 hours to get a really dark black.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's not true it should take the color in about 20 mins wether or not it's on the heat
Old 05-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
Even the liquid stuff needs to be boiled? If it's always transparent, how do you get results like this: http://bodytalkmarkham.com/discs/Dis...ingness.html#6

I've heard about dark green before...might have to give it a try. seems counter intuitive.
Yea add both powder and liquid Rit to boiling water.

That dye was on a CFR champ plastic which is not as transparent as normal champ plastic. It's also the best plastic for dyeing in my opinion. Chek the1st dye un my gallery to see the transpancy of champ plastic

If u check the first dye in my gallery you can see it's transparent. I'm talking the goomba from Mario bros dye

Last edited by NoThingness; 05-11-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 64
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

also add a couple of drops of dish soap to your dye, this acts a surfactant, emulsifier..w/e.. it helps the dye "stick" to the disc a bit better than just dye and water. be sure you get all bubbles out of where you want to set the disc, they will show up otherwise. (That just reads like cr@p).. there will be small bubles, make sure they get moved to the edge of your dyeing vessel (I use a 10" pyrex pie pan)
Old 05-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 9 Times in 4 Posts

Use the whole bottle of liquid black. Save the used dye in a jar or bottle afterwards
Old 05-12-2011, 07:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 64
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm greedy with my black (scarlet too), you can also add a bit of water as you will lose some from when you heat it up and use.. I started with a liter of black and a packet of dye, I've spiked it once or twice with liquid and probably added a half liter of water over the last couple of months

Old 05-13-2011, 10:08 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK, upon further investigation I was actually getting a kind of magenta color. (dying a greenish yellow Z-Nuke) Taking a look at a color wheel, the logical color to add to get black was green, so I tried a dark green and it REALLY darkened it up. In the right light it's still a little purple, but a really dark purple. Looks jet black in normal lighting conditions.

Thanks for all the help.