Old 01-31-2020, 03:41 PM
Banned but not forgotten

Niced 607 Times in 323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
I've brought that up before, maybe not in this thread but I called the Judge a Classic Roc ripoff before and got shouted down with "BUT THE CLASSIC ROC WAS A MID!!!" Yeah, and a Judge would have been as well. If it wasn't, you know...25 years too late?
If I won the USDGC twice I would absolutely get a signature ColtX and Classic RocX3. That would be the most badassed 1/2 combo in disc golf. Classic Roc is one of the most underrated discs of all time, and probably only because of its name.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2020, 05:14 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 922 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
If I won the USDGC twice I would absolutely get a signature ColtX and Classic RocX3. That would be the most badassed 1/2 combo in disc golf. Classic Roc is one of the most underrated discs of all time, and probably only because of its name.
Classic ROC is underrated due to the fact the mold got pulled as a putter/midrange hybrid disc from regular production. This was a major Reason I decided to use the Shark mold for approach and driving putter, with some windy day putting as it flies really similar to the Classic ROC but, is still in regular Production. I use however 2 currently that the plastic is not in production but I did get back ups of the Star when those were getting hard to find last year, Pro I can't find even when I got mine in 2014 as it seems I got the last ~175 gram +2/-1. I will get a G-Star when I need to replace my Pro Shark when it goes US, I have a messed up Star that is basically G-Star to try and if I like it, I will get a true G-Star as backup.

In that note I have said it before but the Shark is an underrated classic mold Multi use disc. One of the best multi use discs for beginners, a reason it is in the beginner DX set.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-31-2020, 05:39 PM
I'm With Her

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,362 Times in 1,724 Posts

Quote:
I've brought that up before, maybe not in this thread but I called the Judge a Classic Roc ripoff before and got shouted down with "BUT THE CLASSIC ROC WAS A MID!!!" Yeah, and a Judge would have been as well. If it wasn't, you know...25 years too late?
I have a Star Classic Roc, and it's a nice disc. But it doesn't resemble a Judge to me at all. Is the Star Classic Roc changed from earlier ones, or did you mean the Judge is a rip of the Classic Aviar (which I can see)?

Old 01-31-2020, 05:54 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 25
Niced 922 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I have a Star Classic Roc, and it's a nice disc. But it doesn't resemble a Judge to me at all. Is the Star Classic Roc changed from earlier ones, or did you mean the Judge is a rip of the Classic Aviar (which I can see)?
Doesn't Innova make for Discmaina a disc that is close to a small dome Classic ROC?

Older Classic ROC are flat top with the rest the same, well they had dome like the Star discs and flat top discs.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:41 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 31
Niced 923 Times in 438 Posts

Quote:
I like the Classic Aviar, but I really don't see it as anything like the Judge. Warden, maybe.

Old 02-02-2020, 11:53 AM
I'm With Her

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,362 Times in 1,724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoobyPls View Post
I like the Classic Aviar, but I really don't see it as anything like the Judge. Warden, maybe.
I don't disagree. I'm just trying to understand the comparison between the (Star) Classic Roc and the Judge.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:56 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 136
Niced 3,053 Times in 1,098 Posts

Quote:
I don't disagree. I'm just trying to understand the comparison between the (Star) Classic Roc and the Judge.
You are being too literal.

The comment has to do with people giving the Judge credit for being the first low-profile putter. The actual first low profile putter was the XD. Except when the XD was introduced, it was a distance driver.

Anyway, the Judge is a beaded and the XD is not, So you could call the Judge the first beaded low profile putter. Except the beaded version of the XD was...the disc now know as the Classic Roc. Again, it wasn't designed to be a putter, at the time it was a driver.

Now when you start talking about the low-profile putters that have been all the rage for the last decade, some people want to act like that kind of putter/mid tweener disc is a new idea. It's not. The XD and Classic Roc were around for years.

For an actual Judge/Classic Roc comparison, they both are small diameter and they both have a bead. The wings are basically similar. The Judge had a huge shoulder compared to the Classic Roc, so that's the main difference. The Judge was designed to be a putter and has more of a putter profile to the nose, where the Classic Roc has a sharper nose. Not so sharp that it wouldn't make a decent putter, but the Judge would probably be an improvement on the design if you were considering them both putters.

So it the Judge a Classic Roc copy? No, but that's not what we were getting at. What we meant is that you can't call the Judge the first disc of its kind when you have a disc with really close to the same design that came out 25 years before it.

Niced: (4)
Old 02-02-2020, 11:41 PM
Banned but not forgotten

Niced 607 Times in 323 Posts

Quote:
The actual first low profile putter was the XD.
Hey what changed on the retool in '90? Are the Bullet stamps the original or the retool?
Old 02-02-2020, 11:51 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 136
Niced 3,053 Times in 1,098 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
Hey what changed on the retool in '90? Are the Bullet stamps the original or the retool?
The originals were beadless San Marino tooled. The retool made them small bead Ontario tooled. Most of the discs we refer to as the "bullet XD" were the small beads, they made those for pretty much the whole decade of the 90's. The beadless ones originally had the Aviar XD stamp, although I don't know if the retool and the stamp change matched up or not.

Old 02-03-2020, 10:03 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 562 Times in 363 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
I think Trilogy has a couple, the Harp, Pure and Stiletto were all unique enough to make that distinction IMO.
It could go either way between the Harp and the Zone I think, depending on which one you prefer. I figure the Rhyno would take the cake if it hadn't been overshadowed by the Harp and Zone. For the record, I own several Zones, several Harps, but bag a Rhyno.