Old 02-12-2020, 06:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 127
Niced 3,937 Times in 1,662 Posts

I haven't played local doubles in recent years but, when I did, we paid the Cali guy for aces, just like any other ace. No conditions.

As others have said, there is no right or wrong way to do it (other than to not decide on a rule until after it happens).

One benefit of paying for the Cali aces is simplicity. You don't need a rule or reminders; you just pay for aces, period.

With the theory that aces are rare enough, on most courses, that the increased odds benefitting the Cali player are statistically insignificant; that being Cali was the luck of the draw; and that over the course of time, everyone is likely to be Cali, sooner or later, and get their infinitesimally better shot of their own.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 02-12-2020, 08:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.1
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,415 Times in 543 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

I understand a Cali has a small extra benefit with 2 throws when it comes to ace funds. But I also don't remember hearing about ace pots won by someone playing Cali. I'm sure it's happened before but not enough to be concerned about them getting an advantage over everyone else.

The odds are small so I'll go by the old K.I.S.S. rule.

Keep it simple s....

Niced: (1)
Old 02-12-2020, 09:29 AM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.9
Courses Played: 373
Niced 1,821 Times in 898 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
I understand a Cali has a small extra benefit with 2 throws when it comes to ace funds. But I also don't remember hearing about ace pots won by someone playing Cali. I'm sure it's happened before but not enough to be concerned about them getting an advantage over everyone else.

Keep it simple s....
Most people get that rule wrong. It's "Keep It Stupid-Simple". As in, that's how simple you want to keep it.

The other way: "Keep it Simple, Stupid!" is just an insult to the person you're giving the advice to.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:39 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 500 Times in 239 Posts

It's funny how regional this may be.

In every doubles league around St. Louis I've participated in (a lot) only the FIRST Cali drive counts toward an ace. Same for 50/50s typically, but for other freebie CTPs they usually allow either throw.

I have never seen an option to double the entry fee to have two throws from each lie, nor a double buy into ace pots/5050 for both throws to count.

I have always thought both shots from a Cali should count toward an ace and actually love the double buy idea as well.

Last edited by Lazerface; 02-12-2020 at 10:40 AM. Reason: words
Old 02-12-2020, 10:55 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 107
Niced 54 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Most people get that rule wrong. It's "Keep It Stupid-Simple". As in, that's how simple you want to keep it.

The other way: "Keep it Simple, Stupid!" is just an insult to the person you're giving the advice to.
Thankfully I'm usually misquoting it to myself

Niced: (2)
Old 02-12-2020, 12:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 31
Niced 928 Times in 442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
Out of curiosity, why would mulligan get two CTP throws when everyone else only gets one? Is it customary to split CTP's with your partner? If not, you're screwing everyone else who only gets one throw. I'm seriously confused how that works.
Mostly because nobody wants to deal with the headache. Pretty much all leagues in this area are run the same way mine is. It all averages out in the long run anyway.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,172 Times in 702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoobyPls View Post
Mostly because nobody wants to deal with the headache. Pretty much all leagues in this area are run the same way mine is. It all averages out in the long run anyway.
Are CTP's optional cash buy-in or free prizes available to everyone? If optional cash, not sure how giving people who pay the same number of throws is a headache. If they're just free prizes, still not sure how it's a headache but not as big of a deal as a bonus throw for cash. I just know that if I pay $1 or whatever and get 1 throw that I'd be pissed if someone else paid $1 to get 2 throws.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post

Keep it simple s....
I've hit 3 ace pots as Cali. Around here we split, so throwing solo is extra incentive to ace. Especially when an unsplit ace pays more than 1st.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 31
Niced 928 Times in 442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
Are CTP's optional cash buy-in or free prizes available to everyone? If optional cash, not sure how giving people who pay the same number of throws is a headache. If they're just free prizes, still not sure how it's a headache but not as big of a deal as a bonus throw for cash. I just know that if I pay $1 or whatever and get 1 throw that I'd be pissed if someone else paid $1 to get 2 throws.
They're both. I always have two cash CTP's, and about half the time I have prizes as a third CTP (unwanted discs I got from a players pack, donated discs, a micro-basket, a pack of donated socks once). Nobody here has ever come to me complaining about what you're describing. Everybody has been Mulligan Man at some point, or will be. It all comes out in the wash.

Old 02-12-2020, 12:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoobyPls View Post
They're both. I always have two cash CTP's, and about half the time I have prizes as a third CTP (unwanted discs I got from a players pack, donated discs, a micro-basket, a pack of donated socks once). Nobody here has ever come to me complaining about what you're describing. Everybody has been Mulligan Man at some point, or will be. It all comes out in the wash.
Fair enough.

Glad we don't do that