Old 01-03-2017, 04:39 PM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 528
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 743 Times in 319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
That is odd. My buddy from around Madison tells me you guys have way more open courses than wooded. He always struggles with the trees for the first couple of days when he visits. Apparently, based on the new PDGA rankings he is the #1 rated Am in WI so its not that he is a poor golfer.
Has he not played Rollin' Ridge, Stoney Creek or Winter Park? Those are all WI courses, but a couple hours from Madison. The Madison courses have some wooded sections, but not nearly as tight as the courses mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg View Post
My one trip to WI we were chased out of Rollin' Ridge by massive swarms of mosquitoes. I've never seen anything like it. I need to come up with a reason to go there again sometime.
They fog for skeeters these days. Much nicer than it was a few years ago. I live about 35 mins away...isn't that enough reason to visit?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2017, 04:52 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 159
Niced 460 Times in 199 Posts

Quote:
My one trip to WI we were chased out of Rollin' Ridge by massive swarms of mosquitoes. I've never seen anything like it. I need to come up with a reason to go there again sometime.
Good thing you didn't visit Goat Island in the Charlotte area. I spike my 40% Deet Deep Woods Off with 99.7% Deet Maxi Deet and the mosquitos still ran us off.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:57 PM
Eagle Member

[QUOTE=Stardoggy;3118066]Has he not played Rollin' Ridge, Stoney Creek or Winter Park? Those are all WI courses, but a couple hours from Madison. The Madison courses have some wooded sections, but not nearly as tight as the courses mentioned.

Not sure if he has played them. He does not have them listed as played but he also does not keep up with his DGCR profile. Safe bet is he has not played them though.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:25 PM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 528
Niced 743 Times in 319 Posts

[QUOTE=Tripper;3118076]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
Has he not played Rollin' Ridge, Stoney Creek or Winter Park? Those are all WI courses, but a couple hours from Madison. The Madison courses have some wooded sections, but not nearly as tight as the courses mentioned.

Not sure if he has played them. He does not have them listed as played but he also does not keep up with his DGCR profile. Safe bet is he has not played them though.
The terrain changes pretty quickly the further north you get in WI.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-03-2017, 06:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 48
Niced 845 Times in 575 Posts

Interesting that Lake Claiborne is rated so highly. I would not have it in my top five in the State of La.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:52 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 29.3
Courses Played: 266
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 7 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
I have some ideas for the lists, such as eliminating drive-bys from the rating if a course has more than X amount of reviews and a few other things. It's something I'll probably experiment with in the coming months.
THat's a very good idea. There are a few courses and reviews that are basic outliers, and nearly all are the drive by reviewer.

It really really bothers me one one review by one person drags down the average and negatively reflects a course perception. Especially when that reviewer has logged one once to bash that course and never ever posted or reviewed another course before or since.

A specific example would be Iron Hill, 65 reviews and 2 very serious outliers, one 1.5 and one 2.0 - nothing else under 3.0 (and most of those were in the first year and outdated a bit now as well).

The 1.5 reviewer of Iron Hill logged on ONCE to DGCR, bashed Iron Hill with a very low rating and has never ever logged on since. I mean really, we are going to count that in the average?

The other 2.0 actually had a few rating, but by the look of them and knowing the courses had no sense of evaluating and just rating it on how he played 9 homes in the rain... Maybe this review stays as he dig review other courses, and had played a few so he wouldn't be a drive by. But come on, play the course at least?

These 2 single reviews bring down the statistical average for a great course from 4.35 (which is still very under rated) to a 4.25 and is no where near accurate IMO. I've played 4.7+ courses that are not nearly as well designed or as well maintained. But hey, they had nice views....

Simply removing the one time log on to bash the course would improve this one courses rating by .04ish overall. Not much of a move, but another course nearby has 3 drive by reviews, and those are 3 of the 7 lowest reviews as well.... That course would move up by .12, and in the grand scheme of things both these courses are underrated currently partially due to statistical bashing drive bys....

Yes the ratings is very very subjective, but these outlier drive bys could be eliminated to give a more accurate impression of the average.

I love this idea.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 314
Niced 2,268 Times in 1,122 Posts

How about a weighted scale?

Non-TR thumbs count as 1
Bronze TR thumbs count as 2
Silver counts as 3
Gold counts as 4
Diamond counts as 5

I see no problem with a Diamond TR having 5 times the influence of Joe drive-by.

*pot stirred*

*doesn't care that this means thumbs would have to get re-tallied every time a reviewer's TR status changes*

Gotcha!
Old 01-04-2017, 01:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 163
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 68 Times in 43 Posts

I was fortunate enough to play three of those this year. Harmon Hills was a real treat. The land owners are very hospitable and I got to make a top ten course a part of my summer vacation! Deer Lakes seemed overrated for me although a very nice course. The layout I played was a bit repetitive. I feel like 12-15 holes all finished left which was frustrating for a sidearm player. Idlewild wore me out. I've player her several times and it is deserving of a top ten spot in my book but those long pins are more pain and punishment than pleasure. What a course!
Old 01-04-2017, 04:43 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 29
Niced 15 Times in 7 Posts

Suggestion - For every 20 reviews the program drops the high and the low review, so after 100 reviews the rating has "self corrected" 5 times, averaging the score for the course. This will not solve the problem, but it will negate many of the high and low outliers for any given course.

Old 01-04-2017, 05:12 PM
Eagle Member

[QUOTE=Stardoggy;3118091]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post

The terrain changes pretty quickly the further north you get in WI.
Yes he came down for 4th of July so we took him to Asheville. Played Richmond Hill, Sandhill NTDGC, Ashe County and Rolling Pines in 2 days. After killing his legs like that I was pleasantly surprised he came back for Christmas. We did not go back to the mountains though. Played moderate elevation all week.