I know a Spider thrower 22 15.83%
I have seen Spiders thrown 22 15.83%
I have seen a Spider on the course once maybe 17 12.23%
I have never seen anyone throw a Spider 48 34.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2018, 11:21 AM
Par Member

Niced 49 Times in 24 Posts

Theres some really awesome Red champ/star blends out there right now. I bag a 172 pfn for upshots that are too far for a putter and too short for my champ Roc3s or other mids. It's in between stable and overstable and fades nicely. Feels great in the hand.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2018, 01:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 666 Times in 389 Posts

This poll needed the obvious answer: "I used to bag Spiders a long time ago, but haven't thrown one in years". Answer 2 is closest but not quite right since a lot of people who used to bag spiders probably haven't thrown one recently.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-28-2018, 04:21 PM

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 10
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 23 Times in 16 Posts

I have been using an old CE Spider for a couple years now. Nice flat top to it. Newer Spiders dont seem to fly the way this one does. It's getting pretty beat up but still does its job for me.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:43 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 25
Niced 795 Times in 674 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
I have been using an old CE Spider for a couple years now. Nice flat top to it. Newer Spiders dont seem to fly the way this one does. It's getting pretty beat up but still does its job for me.
Seems that others in this thread like you had the in CE plastic the Spider flew different then in DX or Star. Was made in Champion in the 2000's at one point but then stopped once Star came out, the Champion Spider was not that popular once the Star Spider was made.

I do not see a player sponsored by Innova using a Spider even in Masters Grouping and the Legends from Innova team. Unless it is a player who's discs in the bag was not on the site.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 03-01-2018 at 01:47 AM.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:52 AM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 41
Niced 709 Times in 403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Seems that others in this thread like you had the in CE plastic the Spider flew different then in DX or Star. Was made in Champion in the 2000's at one point but then stopped once Star came out, the Champion Spider was not that popular once the Star Spider was made.

I do not see a player sponsored by Innova using a Spider even in Masters Grouping and the Legends from Innova team. Unless it is a player who's discs in the bag was not on the site.
Even the early [awesome] Champ that came after the CE days flew well/the same. But yes the older the Champ/CE plastic the better in most eyes regarding the Spider. Of course DX didn't fly the same after a certain amount of time but with any stable mold it was a great neutral/understable compliment with an oddly fun flight to it. Again, older the DX the better more often than not. I used to bag both for a number of years.

It's almost as though the mold was tweaked or something like with the Ontario Cobra vs. the "Ontario" King Cobra - it just doesn't feel or fly exactly the same. I am NOT trying to start a rumor that it actually happened, just commenting on my own personal experience with the mold.

Zero Star Spider experience...never been much of a fan of premium opaque plastics from any company aside from ESP.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:32 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 14
Niced 108 Times in 59 Posts

i've never intentionally bagged a spider but i suspect sometimes they get in there. every once in a while a clump of grass makes it in the bag and it makes me jump when i see it.

i for sure have seen people throw them, screaming but not me.

that being said, and to avoid sidetracking i dont think i've ever even seen the spider mold.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:16 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.5
Niced 795 Times in 674 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
Even the early [awesome] Champ that came after the CE days flew well/the same. But yes the older the Champ/CE plastic the better in most eyes regarding the Spider. Of course DX didn't fly the same after a certain amount of time but with any stable mold it was a great neutral/understable compliment with an oddly fun flight to it. Again, older the DX the better more often than not. I used to bag both for a number of years.

It's almost as though the mold was tweaked or something like with the Ontario Cobra vs. the "Ontario" King Cobra - it just doesn't feel or fly exactly the same. I am NOT trying to start a rumor that it actually happened, just commenting on my own personal experience with the mold.

Zero Star Spider experience...never been much of a fan of premium opaque plastics from any company aside from ESP.
Also Could be that maybe Innova needs to retool the mold?
Old 03-03-2018, 09:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 255
Niced 356 Times in 178 Posts

My first mid was a dx Spider. It had the unlucky happenstance of making my bag at a time when I desperately wanted to try as many discs and plastics as possible. I fumbled around with it for a season or two before moving on to sample other mids. I likely failed to experience the full potential of the mold due to my lack of dg intellect and, how you say, savoir faire

Old 03-03-2018, 09:09 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 35
Niced 615 Times in 324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Butlertron View Post
My first mid was a dx Spider. It had the unlucky happenstance of making my bag at a time when I desperately wanted to try as many discs and plastics as possible. I fumbled around with it for a season or two before moving on to sample other mids. I likely failed to experience the full potential of the mold due to my lack of dg intellect and, how you say, savoir faire
The story of the 'multi purpose' disc. Jack of all, master of none.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:08 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.5
Niced 38 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheshilton View Post
This poll needed the obvious answer: "I used to bag Spiders a long time ago, but haven't thrown one in years". Answer 2 is closest but not quite right since a lot of people who used to bag spiders probably haven't thrown one recently.
A CE Spider was the first mid I ever bought. Unfortunately, years later when I got back into disc golf I ripped it well past a basket into a creek and wasn't able to locate it. I replaced the Spider with a Buzzz and never looked back, although this thread has me jonesing to try a Spider again. Thanks for feeding into my plastic addiction fellas!