Old 10-24-2018, 09:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39
Niced 520 Times in 247 Posts

Still waiting for DGPT to publish post produced, commented video of the FPO semifinals ...
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2018, 09:46 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 117 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattS View Post
Cons:

I don't understand why this tournament uses a format that essentially guarantees that several of the best players on Tour will play fewer than nine holes of truly meaningful disc golf. I understand the desire to do something different and ensure a competitive finish, but there are better ways. Even just having everyone play the first three rounds with the top 5 totals qualifying for a winner-takes-all Final Round would massively improve things.
Devil’s advocate: I like the format. It rewards players who played well throughout the entire season and participated in more dgpt events. I would even go as far as to say that this format is more worthy of a “championship” title than many other events that are christened championship for the reason that the winner is more likely to have earned and qualified his way to the top over a much larger sample size during the season.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-24-2018, 11:58 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.6
Courses Played: 366
Niced 1,713 Times in 841 Posts

Performance Tracks look a little weird under this format. Semifinals and Finals.

Attached Images
File Type: png DGPT2018FinalTracks.png (101.5 KB, 347 views)
Old 10-26-2018, 04:59 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 155
Niced 56 Times in 23 Posts

Was there ever an explanation as to why Steve Dodge wasn’t on site at the tournament? Or at least some tournament official? Where were they?
Old 10-27-2018, 09:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,349 Times in 1,816 Posts

AJ Risley needs to go away...

Niced: (2)
Old 10-27-2018, 12:20 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 176 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Stakes without paint is perfectly acceptable for million dollar events in ball golf and should be fine in disc golf. In fact, it has been used for many years even at Worlds. The key is the stakes or flags need to be close enough to run a string between them when a call needs to be made.
I heard that spotters at Worlds this year had string on hand for this purpose

Niced: (1)
Old 10-27-2018, 02:26 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,678 Times in 760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post
I heard that spotters at Worlds this year had string on hand for this purpose
Yes, they did. I saw at least one instance on camera where someone pulled out their string and stretched it between the stakes to make the call.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,829 Times in 1,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenanFlagler01 View Post
Was there ever an explanation as to why Steve Dodge wasn’t on site at the tournament? Or at least some tournament official? Where were they?
He was on site. He wasn't with the group. The guy has a billion responsibilities. Just because the players are on the course, that doesn't mean the TD's job is done and he's just sitting around with his feet up. Having played some Steve Dodge events and seen him in action, he never stops moving. Even with a volunteer staff of 50-100 people at Maple Hill, he's constantly doing something behind the scenes. Can't imagine he's much different at the Tour Championship.

Aside from the optics of not readily having an official right there, I'm curious what people think would have happened differently had there been someone there on the spot? The only thing I can think of is that Sexton would not have had to throw provisionals and therefore wouldn't have hit the putt for the provisional deuce and then we wouldn't have the "what if" at the end because he lost by one (and could have won if the deuce counted).

The final ruling wouldn't have been any different. He was out whether an official made the call on the spot or the TD made a ruling at a later time. Nothing would have changed. I think the criticism about the railroad tie being missing and no one addressing it prior to the tourney starting (replacing it, painting a line, running a string, making a verbal provision in the player meeting, etc) is perfectly valid. Criticism of how the ruling was addressed and made is unfounded. It went just like it would at any other tournament. There just happened to be cameras pointed at this one.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:42 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 24
Niced 709 Times in 291 Posts

^^ agree.

There was no "what if" moment. The provisional ceased to exist as a throw as soon as the ruling was made that he was indeed OB.

The only valid argument would have been if the railroad tie was moved Mid-Round and other groups played a different hole. There was only one group though so another non-issue.

Old 10-29-2018, 01:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
He was on site. He wasn't with the group. The guy has a billion responsibilities. Just because the players are on the course, that doesn't mean the TD's job is done and he's just sitting around with his feet up. Having played some Steve Dodge events and seen him in action, he never stops moving. Even with a volunteer staff of 50-100 people at Maple Hill, he's constantly doing something behind the scenes. Can't imagine he's much different at the Tour Championship.

Aside from the optics of not readily having an official right there, I'm curious what people think would have happened differently had there been someone there on the spot? The only thing I can think of is that Sexton would not have had to throw provisionals and therefore wouldn't have hit the putt for the provisional deuce and then we wouldn't have the "what if" at the end because he lost by one (and could have won if the deuce counted).

The final ruling wouldn't have been any different. He was out whether an official made the call on the spot or the TD made a ruling at a later time. Nothing would have changed. I think the criticism about the railroad tie being missing and no one addressing it prior to the tourney starting (replacing it, painting a line, running a string, making a verbal provision in the player meeting, etc) is perfectly valid. Criticism of how the ruling was addressed and made is unfounded. It went just like it would at any other tournament. There just happened to be cameras pointed at this one.
Um, if someone had been there on the spot, Nate would have had someone to punch. Just Sayin'.

Niced: (2)