Old 10-30-2018, 01:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,538 Times in 1,535 Posts

Even in our little C-tier, we try to find some things we can do better than other area events. The DGPT is clearly trying to raise the bar in many ways---in particular, with an eye to more viewers and making it a spectator sport. The unusual finals format is one. An official with the final card could be another.

Nothing they need to do---but something they could do.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2018, 03:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39
Niced 520 Times in 247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Even in our little C-tier, we try to find some things we can do better than other area events. The DGPT is clearly trying to raise the bar in many ways---in particular, with an eye to more viewers and making it a spectator sport. The unusual finals format is one. An official with the final card could be another.

Nothing they need to do---but something they could do.
Does Steve have problems delegating authority?
Old 10-30-2018, 04:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 521 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenanFlagler01 View Post
I’m not saying the ruling would’ve been any different, but Dodge not being there (with the one and only card) — I doubt we’d have half of the drama that’s unfolded. Mostly I think it would’ve been more professional and respectful to the players, even if the call wouldn’t have changed. I just don’t get what else could’ve been more important than walking with the only card playing.
Most all of the drama that has unfolded has been on the internet not the participants. Drama would have been there for something else. The interwebs would find a way. I'm sure there were some footfaults somewhere that went ignored to focus on.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 222 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomerang View Post
Since the DGPT is separate from the PDGA I will agree with you there 100%
DGPT events are still PDGA-sanctioned, so for them to do anything marginally drastic -- like allow video evidence on a ruling, for example -- would need a waiver, I'd imagine.

Also, at most NTs/Majors I was at this year, we generally had a marshal/official bouncing back and forth between the lead and chase cards, but I'll admit that's still not a perfect setup. At the GBO, the official was with the chase at the time of the Eagle island situation in round 2. Either way, it's something we always need to be keeping an eye on, and scenarios like the one at DGPT allow us to encounter new situations where we can find room for improvement.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-31-2018, 09:19 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 176 Times in 92 Posts

The railroad tie was there last year. It wasn't there this year. Why not?

A simple answer to that simple question would only help us understand the situation better.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:15 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 136 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post
The railroad tie was there last year. It wasn't there this year. Why not?

A simple answer to that simple question would only help us understand the situation better.
It was taken out so the landscapers could have easy access instead of having to wrestle with a heavy piece of lumber every time they needed to get in there. From what I read on Reddit, it's been gone since at least August. Is there some rule I don't know about that says an island green has to be completely surrounded by a barrier? This is much ado about nothing. Sexton threw a bad shot and got burned for it. End of story. I think some people just like to find fault with the DGPT and Steve Dodge, really.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:20 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 176 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldeyeGolf View Post
It was taken out so the landscapers could have easy access instead of having to wrestle with a heavy piece of lumber every time they needed to get in there. From what I read on Reddit, it's been gone since at least August. Is there some rule I don't know about that says an island green has to be completely surrounded by a barrier? This is much ado about nothing. Sexton threw a bad shot and got burned for it. End of story. I think some people just like to find fault with the DGPT and Steve Dodge, really.
So did they not do that same landscaping last year? I don't remember watching that hole and thinking "man they really need to get that grass down"
Did they mean to leave it out permanently?
Or was it supposed to go back after the last round of pre-tourney mowing?

"It was taken out so the landscapers could have easy access instead of having to wrestle with a heavy piece of lumber every time they needed to get in there. It was never intended to be put back before tournament play."

vs

"It was taken out so the landscapers could have easy access instead of having to wrestle with a heavy piece of lumber every time they needed to get in there. It was intended to be put back before tournament play, but was not. This was an oversight."
Old 10-31-2018, 10:34 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 136 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
So did they not do that same landscaping last year? I don't remember watching that hole and thinking "man they really need to get that grass down"

"It was taken out so the landscapers could have easy access instead of having to wrestle with a heavy piece of lumber every time they needed to get in there. It was never intended to be put back before tournament play."

vs

"It was taken out so the landscapers could have easy access instead of having to wrestle with a heavy piece of lumber every time they needed to get in there. It was intended to be put back before tournament play, but was not. This was an oversight."
I don't know the answer to that, but does it really matter? The hole played the same for everyone the entire tournament. It's not like this is some iconic hole that's been played the same way for decades- it's the second year for the tournament to be held on this very young course. Changes were made to other holes, also.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-31-2018, 10:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,538 Times in 1,535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldeyeGolf View Post
Is there some rule I don't know about that says an island green has to be completely surrounded by a barrier?
An OB line should be continuous---at least as far as any disc might conceivably cross it.

It doesn't have to be the same marking, same barrier or anything else. The gap could be marked by a string or paint, or indicated as line-of-sight between ties on either side (which I think was the assumption).

Not a specific rule, so much as geometry and best practices.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,831 Times in 1,581 Posts

Quote:

vs

Have to assume it was the bolded or else they'd have done something to address the gap, whether that's painting a line, running a string, or informing the players (meeting, caddy book, etc) to use line of sight. Those that would have painted or strung a line assumed the railroad tie would be returned. Those that wrote the caddy book or orchestrated the player meeting(s) assumed the tie was there. And no one, not course maintenance crew, not tournament staff, not players, not caddies, not spectators, managed to notice that the tie was gone and there was a "gap" in the OB line around the island. It's really the only explanation based on how things played out. There's no way the tie was left out intentionally and they just forgot to put in an alternate to cover for it.