Old 01-10-2019, 04:55 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 308 Times in 176 Posts
Default FAF Star Teebird? Or maybe Eagle?

I've always liked a regular Star Firebird for most forehand shots. And I've had a FAF Star Firebird since the first year I started playing that is a great thumber/skip disc. But on a few local holes, that FAF FB is just too much beef, and a regular FB(or PD/Thunderbird) might go too long and potentially OB. What I really wish I had is a Star Teebird that's about the same stability as a regular Star Firebird. Or a shorter Firebird.

So, anyone ever seen a Star Teebird that's super flat, firm, and with a high PLH? Or maybe even a Star Eagle or Teebird3 that's super beef? The new Discmania FD2 "prototype" was close in flight, but beat in pretty quickly to be really straight and then was flying longer than I'd like.

A Resistor is probably what I'm looking for, but vanity means trying to find an Innova disc for my old Innova bag that is already full of Innova plastic from the days when I didn't know there was anything else...
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2019, 04:58 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 54 Times in 20 Posts

Sounds like you're looking for a flat banshee.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:04 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 308 Times in 176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebat View Post
It is my understanding that Banshees are never flat anymore. Is this incorrect? Also, they don't come in Star plastic, which I would strongly prefer if possible...

Niced: (1)
Old 01-10-2019, 05:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 955 Times in 523 Posts

I just put a Star Eagle in the bag and really like it for S/OS fairway duty. Holds up nicely into headwinds FH and BH but definitely not FB or Banshee OS. Haven't tried one but have heard the jolly launcher champion Eagles are solid beef.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,207 Times in 563 Posts

Whippet.

Some of the flat champ eagles are basically mini firebirds too.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-10-2019, 05:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 31
Niced 746 Times in 362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmiller View Post
A Resistor is probably what I'm looking for, but vanity means trying to find an Innova disc for my old Innova bag that is already full of Innova plastic from the days when I didn't know there was anything else...
A Neutron Resistor is exactly what you're describing.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:57 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,206 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebat View Post
Quote:
It is my understanding that Banshees are never flat anymore. Is this incorrect? Also, they don't come in Star plastic, which I would strongly prefer if possible...
In terms of flight, the Champion Banshee is what you want, even if it's not ideal in flatness. I like Star better than Champ, too, but the Champ Banshees just work.

You might try a max weight Infinite Discs Exodus in S-blend (which is Star). It's allegedly an Eagle-L, and I use mine (a lot) for hyzers in the open.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:58 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 54 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
I'm not really sure, but I've heard the same. Just sounded like exactly what you're describing. I've also heard the Millennium EXP-X to be recommended as a good banshee replacement, but I don't believe those are available in star either.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:08 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 89 Times in 59 Posts

I've used a premium Gateway Blaze in this slot for years.
The last Banshees were domey, I don't think Innova runs champion Banshees very often.

Niced: (1)

Old 01-10-2019, 06:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,596 Times in 1,648 Posts

For me a FAF Firebird is a very short disc. I can throw mids and putters farther than it no problem, so you essentially have to go insanely OS like the Firebird and slower to get the same thing but less distance.

The Justice is the only disc I have thrown that is in that realm of stability but significantly shorter, however it is shaped like a midrange. I have not thrown a Resistor or Banshee.