#21  
Old 03-01-2019, 11:16 PM
Disc_chainy Disc_chainy is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Years Playing: 28.6
Courses Played: 76
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 9
Niced 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Maybe check the Leftorium for some discs made for southpaws? Don't forget, Lord love a lefty!
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-02-2019, 12:22 AM
Matt B. Matt B. is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Years Playing: 27.3
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 718
Niced 97 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennettUA View Post
Hello all. It's been a LONGGG time since I've started a new thread, or been daily-active on here, but I still love this site, and this sport, and all you degenerates that were around when I was a regular

I'm dealing with a significant amount of pain in my throwing/left elbow now, and for the past while. Some days it's more manageable; some days I can barely drive with my left arm. I wear a brace on my forearm and rarely take it off, I TRY to limit what I do with my left hand and arm but I now realize I am lefty-dominant in EVERYTHING that I do, even unloading the laundry with my right arm feels strange to me. God forbid if you ever saw me THROW with my right arm...

Would love to hear any advice or stories or whatevers about dealing with elbow pain. Specifically for me it's on the outside joint(tennis elbow). Excercises, pain reduction/management, mental techniques, any advice or info at all.

Thanks in advance
You have tendonitis. Physical therapy, ice, rest, the brace. That's it. You should go to the doctor and get checked out. I hurt my elbow at a work party, had both golf and tennis elbow. A great phsical therapist gave me stretches and did some manipulations on it. That, combined with ice, the brace, not further injuring it, and resting it for a couople months healed it up.

If you don't address it, it just stays the same, gets worse, or takes forever.

Last edited by Matt B.; 03-02-2019 at 12:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-02-2019, 05:45 PM
jakebake91 jakebake91 is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: West Central Wisconsin
Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 883
Niced 541 Times in 292 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Do you get a "locking" in the elbow ever? Like if you are leaning on it for several minutes, then try to straighten it but it just locks into place? A disc to the arm like that could easily cause a bone chip and that is one way to determine if you have one. Bone chips are a weird thing, it can not bother you for long periods of time, then one day jostling it or just overuse can cause it to move around and get inflamed. My middle brother got one in high school from getting whacked by a fastball. Dealt with it for years before it finally became an issue once he started playing golf more regularly...
Aren't you going to be throwing lefty this season?? Maybe you guys could form a support group lol

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-03-2019, 12:52 PM
BuzzzChief's Avatar
BuzzzChief BuzzzChief is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: IL
Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 86
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,500
Niced 312 Times in 165 Posts
Default

I’m afraid I’m in the same boat. Started to get some light elbow pain back in September/October. It hung around through November and I was hoping the winter would help it heal. I was only playing every couple weeks during the holidays, and it seemed to get worse each time. So I didn’t throw for something like 7 weeks in Jan/Feb. It was feeling good.

Last week I played again for the first time since early Jan. It felt OK during the round, but 1-2 days later it was really bad and now my back is jacked up too. Getting older sucks!

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-03-2019, 02:25 PM
air show air show is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Land of Oz
Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 168
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 401
Niced 222 Times in 103 Posts
Default

I know about not wanting to go to the doctor... even with health insurance it can cost a fortune. I would probably lay off three or four weeks and do Ibuprofen and hope for improvement. If no improvement find a sports med doc with a good reputation... not all doctors are created equal.

P.S. as a rule of thumb I go see a doctor ASAP if I miss work or lose sleep.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-06-2019, 01:02 AM
ChiCubs ChiCubs is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: bethesda, maryland
Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 108
Niced 10 Times in 7 Posts
Default

I got crushed with a case of right elbow tendonitis day after this past Thanksgiving. I shut down the game and about one to two weeks later I was going crazy thinking about how long I would be out. Month? Two? Well, it's the start of March and I am still in pain. It is healing but s l o w l y. After that 2nd week I decided to learn how to play lefty. I still flicked and tossed putts with my right arm but all tee shots and long approaches were thrown with my left. I did this for 3 months and I have to say I am pretty psyched. I can average about 250-290 (righty drives I average about 330-360) off the tee and my approach game lefty has tightened up. The other nice thing is that my flick approach game with the right arm has gotten ridiculously solid. You give me my Star Firebird 167g to flick from 100 to 150 feet to the basket and all you'll see is butter. Anyway, take your time with the elbow...it will heal but it takes time. A lot of time. Cross Massage the area/tendons/muscles as often as you can and dig deep. It is going to hurt. Also, ice it and do NOT throw for several weeks. It will get better but time is the secret. Good luck. Now, get out and throw with your other arm!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-06-2019, 10:32 AM
BennettUA's Avatar
BennettUA BennettUA is offline
Lefty Activist
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta GA
Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 3,240
Niced 37 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Do you get a "locking" in the elbow ever? Like if you are leaning on it for several minutes, then try to straighten it but it just locks into place? A disc to the arm like that could easily cause a bone chip and that is one way to determine if you have one. Bone chips are a weird thing, it can not bother you for long periods of time, then one day jostling it or just overuse can cause it to move around and get inflamed. My middle brother got one in high school from getting whacked by a fastball. Dealt with it for years before it finally became an issue once he started playing golf more regularly...
Luckily, no, I'e never locked up or felt an inclination towards it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmonty View Post
Best thing you can do (IMO) is ice the sh** out of it, and when you get tired of that, ice it some more.
What's funny(re, stupid?) is that I haven't yet done this. I mean, I've iced it some, but not religiously. That's going to start today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disc_chainy View Post
Maybe check the Leftorium for some discs made for southpaws? Don't forget, Lord love a lefty!
Still don't understand why this isn't a true website yet. Seriously. There's 10% of the population willing to throw all their monies at such a venture.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiCubs View Post
I got crushed with a case of right elbow tendonitis day after this past Thanksgiving. I shut down the game and about one to two weeks later I was going crazy thinking about how long I would be out. Month? Two? Well, it's the start of March and I am still in pain. It is healing but s l o w l y. After that 2nd week I decided to learn how to play lefty. I still flicked and tossed putts with my right arm but all tee shots and long approaches were thrown with my left. I did this for 3 months and I have to say I am pretty psyched. I can average about 250-290 (righty drives I average about 330-360) off the tee and my approach game lefty has tightened up. The other nice thing is that my flick approach game with the right arm has gotten ridiculously solid. You give me my Star Firebird 167g to flick from 100 to 150 feet to the basket and all you'll see is butter. Anyway, take your time with the elbow...it will heal but it takes time. A lot of time. Cross Massage the area/tendons/muscles as often as you can and dig deep. It is going to hurt. Also, ice it and do NOT throw for several weeks. It will get better but time is the secret. Good luck. Now, get out and throw with your other arm!
I admire your ability. I am COMPLETELY left-hand dominant, so much so that the simplest tasks with my right arm/hand feel incredibly awkward and often unsafe. My max distance righty is 60 feet, and it hurts I'm not against trying to practice and make my righty form smooth, efficient, and useful, but it will take a LOT more practice than I have time for. Still, it would be an incredible tool to have!

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-06-2019, 10:35 AM
Streets's Avatar
Streets Streets is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 9,281
Niced 4,362 Times in 1,824 Posts
Default

Bennett,

Sorry to hear about the elbow pain buddy! Have you tried wearing some kind of compression sleeve while playing?

I'll echo everyone saying rest/Ibuprofen/ice for a few weeks...but maybe start wearing some kind of sleeve during rounds.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-06-2019, 11:15 AM
BennettUA's Avatar
BennettUA BennettUA is offline
Lefty Activist
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta GA
Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 3,240
Niced 37 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Bennett,

Sorry to hear about the elbow pain buddy! Have you tried wearing some kind of compression sleeve while playing?

I'll echo everyone saying rest/Ibuprofen/ice for a few weeks...but maybe start wearing some kind of sleeve during rounds.
I have not, but I'll pick one up today! I've benefited from compression on my feet, legs, and knees, so I imagine this will help some as well, thanks Streets

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #30  
Old 03-06-2019, 11:23 PM
ChiCubs ChiCubs is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: bethesda, maryland
Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 108
Niced 10 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Yo! I actually forgot to mention the compression sleeve. I now wear a compression elbow sleeve along with a tennis elbow brace/strap. It definitely helps when I throw righty as I have started to do about 30/40% of the time I play now when not throwing lefty.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Forearm Pain/Elbow Pain ChiCubs General Disc Golf Chat 17 03-02-2017 11:03 PM
Dealing with knee pain. StarFirebird General Disc Golf Chat 29 07-27-2013 09:41 PM
Severe Elbow Pain when extended plex General Disc Golf Chat 16 08-02-2012 12:26 PM
Elbow Pain jenb General Disc Golf Chat 34 03-13-2012 10:14 PM
Severe shoulder pain RHBH. plastic cannon Technique & Strategy 23 11-02-2011 10:22 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.