Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: What do you find most annoying about the new disc golf scene?
Kids, damn kids on my lawn. It never used to be popular and crowded. 27 17.53%
The sun is hotter than it used to be! 17 11.04%
The attitude that Ed's dead long live McBeth.. Don't these kids know where we came from! 0 0%
Trading "hippies" for "hipsters" 14 9.09%
Too many discs! Back in my day it was a putter, mid and driver. 10 6.49%
The reclassification of my current distance driver as a "fairway driver" 4 2.60%
Mowed and manicured courses, back in my day the rough was rough! 3 1.95%
Thumber, tomahawks, OH.. That's not how a disc is supposed to fly dumbass 8 5.19%
Some 14 year old throwing 200' further than me. 52 33.77%
I've got my own complaint.. See below. 19 12.34%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-21-2019, 03:30 PM

Years Playing: 41.3
Courses Played: 38
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 40 Times in 16 Posts
Default Kids today!

When I was in college I came across some ancient Latin that translated as: "Kids today, no respect! Things was different when I was their age!" This has literally been going on for thousands of years. Every generation sees the next one as deficient in some way.

But: disc golf brings generations together with something they have in common. I often end up playing with people less than half my age. We have a great time.
Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2019, 06:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 5
Niced 803 Times in 558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Not really directing this at you Envy, but many parents. Our generation (old farts over 40+) is the real cause, not the children.
Well duh, because the kids haven't done anything yet.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-21-2019, 09:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Folfer View Post
When I was in college I came across some ancient Latin that translated as: "Kids today, no respect! Things was different when I was their age!" This has literally been going on for thousands of years. Every generation sees the next one as deficient in some way.

But: disc golf brings generations together with something they have in common. I often end up playing with people less than half my age. We have a great time.
That's awesome! Hahaha

Yeah don't get me wrong I love playing with kids and I really enjoy them for the most part. In fact I usually enjoy playing with the young discers more because, well they idolize me sometimes and are just generally awesome....

I just wish I could find some decent help at work.. Or someone to mow my grass at 50 percent effort of what I would put in... do I hear 40.... 40 percent effort... 25 an hour... cash.

Or...
Want to be an apprentice electrician?

Yes!

Hey great, just staple this across here and give me a hand with this ground plate..

How often do we have to dig?

Just when we need to, I try to avoid it..

Why do we have to get in that crawlspace? I want to install switches like it shows on the front of the career pamphlet.

Last edited by ThrowaEnvy; 06-21-2019 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:01 PM
* Ace Member *

So there's a discussion going on in another thread about the L and X bottom on Innova stuff. Apparently it's old guys that figure it's a leopard bottom. Which is also apparently wrong haha. X is maybe for extra stable... I thought it was Leopard that's how I distinguished or remembered.

What do you folks remember?
Old 06-27-2019, 08:48 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 159
Niced 460 Times in 199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I'm old enough to be nostalgic for the long ago days when we were called worthless stupidy lazy whining sniveling entitled human meatbags. Yeah, us Baby Boomers. The "Establishment" didn't have a lot nice to say about us in the 60s and 70s, either. Odd to grow up and find out that, sometimes, they were right.
One of my favorite quotes, "By the time a man realizes his dad may have been right, he has a son that thinks he's wrong"

Old 06-27-2019, 11:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,549 Times in 1,539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
One of my favorite quotes, "By the time a man realizes his dad may have been right, he has a son that thinks he's wrong"
Never heard that one. Great stuff.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:30 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 41.6
Courses Played: 150
Niced 63 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
The older I get, the smarter my dad becomes.

Niced: (3)
Old 06-27-2019, 01:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,627 Times in 719 Posts

My usual gang of old chuckers has pretty much broken up do to general life issues so I have gone back to playing solo and/or hooking up with people on the course. In the last year or so, I've been playing with lots 20 somethings and the one thing that has amazed me is how eager they are to learn the game.

Met one on the first tee and he said, you can play through.
Wanna play together?
No, I'm not very good.
It's ok, maybe I can help.
Nah, you go.
Ok. So I get up and throw my usual shot (it's a very tight tunnel through the woods) a hyzer flipped Roc and it lands in the middle.
He says, yeah, I'll play with you.
What changed your mind?
I've never seen anyone throw a straight shot like that!
Played a round, ended up helping him out a little, gave him a few slower speed discs and a putter, and told him to put away the Boss for awhile.

I've run into a lot of these scenarios, and I've been keeping a box of old discs in my car to hand to noobs that genuinely seem interested but, I'm running out of mids and have no putters left!

The one thing I notice with younger players is they ask "how did you do that'? Instead of older players with big egos who say "you can't do that" even after watching the shot executed. Yeah, you know those guys, the ones who say you need a Firebird to throw a forehand!

Best one this year;
Hooked up with a college kid who was waiting for his friends. Friends were late, but they joined in, then we met up with a Vietnam vet and he joined, So we had a five-some ranging in age from 19 to 70! We played two rounds and it was the most fun I've had on the course this year!

This is the one sport where age really doesn't seem to matter

Old 06-27-2019, 03:15 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 34.4
Courses Played: 30
Niced 126 Times in 83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Folfer View Post

What's fun is handing a youngster a disc to try that's older than they are. "Here, try this. It's OOP because I bought this before you were born."

Old 06-27-2019, 04:47 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 835 Times in 401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
I've run into a lot of these scenarios, and I've been keeping a box of old discs in my car to hand to noobs that genuinely seem interested but, I'm running out of mids and have no putters left!

Keller, if you would pm me your mailing address I would be willing to send you some mids and putters, because what you are doing is something I would like to support.

Niced: (2)