Old 07-07-2019, 11:26 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 90 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
i'm not buying this. Pros cannot put in meaningful practice without tee signs, that give a rudimentary pictogram of the hole and the distance? Granted these are some of the best players on the planet, but they are not capable of determining strategy on the fly? I mean, all that heat and rain must be unreasonable snafu's to their game. Seriously, Toboggan was far better maintained, marked and prepared than any other A Tier I have played. I played the AM side today and it was terrific.

This is a bunch of overblown, social media drama. If any pros are serious, in their complaints, it is a sad indictment against the entitled expectations of the traveling player. Oh, the hardships endured to travel and play our game. Maybe they should try to put in the 50 hours week at my job.

The disc, for spotting deal was all on Discraft, not the TD.
Quote:
Why in the heck would ANY business entity post this? More social media drama. I guess there must be a bunch of folks that eat this stuff up.
Thanks for your perspective.

Imagine taking the risk of going on tour and scraping by, counting pennies and checking balances, regardless of sponsor dollars and placing for cash. Not every player is Paul McBeth.

Imagine showing up to practice for a tournament, and an incomplete layout impacts your chance to cash.

Imagine your livelihood is in the hands of someone like Steve Dodge, or whomever the PDGA is supposed to be, since it is a faceless and toothless organization.

I wonder how many hours of week a traveling disc golfer puts in with travel, practice, and playing?

I’m sure there are whiny, entitled pros, but this is also the system that has been wrought. Blame the PDGA for this. There are also even more whiny, entitled Ams who can’t believe they got another towel and scoff at the brand of disc in their player pack.

Your 50 hour a week comment is exactly like saying “get a job, hippie.”

I follow all this nonsense because I genuinely love disc golf and want to see it be a common-place activity, in our schools and on our TVs. I have always disagreed with the PDGAs Pro first, top-down model, and again, feel like disc golf will always be a joke.

Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 07-07-2019, 11:47 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 41.5
Courses Played: 150
Niced 63 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Spent the last two days working the red tape for the lead card, so I've been able to see the best action up close and personal. I wouldn't say I had a favorite player before, but I might now. As great as Kevin Jones is playing, I think I like the person more than I like the player. Got nothing but nice things to say about him.
He's a super-nice dude who has a lot of respect for our game and those who play it. I really hope he's at the top of the podium at Worlds for many years to come.

Old 07-07-2019, 01:27 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 22.7
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 24 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
Cool that little dude likes Shakespeare.
😑 ha....ha. That’s auto correct for ya.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-07-2019, 01:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,827 Times in 1,580 Posts

Absolutely dominant performance by Paige Pierce. After a somewhat slow start to her year, she's won five starts in a row and 8 of her last 11 (finishing second in the others). Seems she's right back where she was in the first half of last year...every tournament is hers to win.

Old 07-07-2019, 01:33 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,449 Times in 745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alobar View Post
Thanks for your perspective.

Imagine taking the risk of going on tour and scraping by, counting pennies and checking balances, regardless of sponsor dollars and placing for cash. Not every player is Paul McBeth.

Imagine showing up to practice for a tournament, and an incomplete layout impacts your chance to cash.

Imagine your livelihood is in the hands of someone like Steve Dodge, or whomever the PDGA is supposed to be, since it is a faceless and toothless organization.

I wonder how many hours of week a traveling disc golfer puts in with travel, practice, and playing?

I’m sure there are whiny, entitled pros, but this is also the system that has been wrought. Blame the PDGA for this. There are also even more whiny, entitled Ams who can’t believe they got another towel and scoff at the brand of disc in their player pack.

Your 50 hour a week comment is exactly like saying “get a job, hippie.”
You make some solid points. Now imagine this is how every one of those poor neglected pros has chosen to earn their living.

Old 07-07-2019, 02:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 87
Niced 1,798 Times in 738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alobar View Post
Imagine making the choice to take the risk of going on tour and scraping by, counting pennies and checking balances, regardless of sponsor dollars and placing for cash.
FTFY

Old 07-07-2019, 03:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 705 Times in 380 Posts

50 hours?? Man, I work 30 hours, in a place of my other big hobby other than DG, get paid a pitiful amount, and am as happy as a pig in mud.

Life choices.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:06 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 73 Times in 57 Posts

Quote:
i'm not buying this. Pros cannot put in meaningful practice without tee signs, that give a rudimentary pictogram of the hole and the distance? Granted these are some of the best players on the planet, but they are not capable of determining strategy on the fly? I mean, all that heat and rain must be unreasonable snafu's to their game. Seriously, Toboggan was far better maintained, marked and prepared than any other A Tier I have played. I played the AM side today and it was terrific.

This is a bunch of overblown, social media drama. If any pros are serious, in their complaints, it is a sad indictment against the entitled expectations of the traveling player. Oh, the hardships endured to travel and play our game. Maybe they should try to put in the 50 hours week at my job.

The disc, for spotting deal was all on Discraft, not the TD.
It is an even more amusing indictment of disc golf that you say what you are saying in this, and then daring a touring professional who is on the road for several months of the year to work your 50 hour a week job.
Huh.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:09 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,207 Times in 1,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Absolutely dominant performance by Paige Pierce. After a somewhat slow start to her year, she's won five starts in a row and 8 of her last 11 (finishing second in the others). Seems she's right back where she was in the first half of last year...every tournament is hers to win.
Agreed. And it's an odd-numbered year, like the years which PP has won World titles. Could this be another such year for her? Time will tell.

I get the feeling (no proof, just a feeling) the slow start was due to her not working too hard in the off season, and it took some time for her to get back into peak form. And she's peaking just in time for Words and USWDGC. Look out, rest of field!

Old 07-07-2019, 06:09 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1,190 Times in 605 Posts

How old is JohnE McCray. 45? 47?

Say what you want about his grumpiness, but the guy can just play disc golf.