#111  
Old 07-07-2019, 11:26 AM
Alobar Alobar is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: NE PA
Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 168
Niced 90 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
i'm not buying this. Pros cannot put in meaningful practice without tee signs, that give a rudimentary pictogram of the hole and the distance? Granted these are some of the best players on the planet, but they are not capable of determining strategy on the fly? I mean, all that heat and rain must be unreasonable snafu's to their game. Seriously, Toboggan was far better maintained, marked and prepared than any other A Tier I have played. I played the AM side today and it was terrific.

This is a bunch of overblown, social media drama. If any pros are serious, in their complaints, it is a sad indictment against the entitled expectations of the traveling player. Oh, the hardships endured to travel and play our game. Maybe they should try to put in the 50 hours week at my job.

The disc, for spotting deal was all on Discraft, not the TD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Why in the heck would ANY business entity post this? More social media drama. I guess there must be a bunch of folks that eat this stuff up.
Thanks for your perspective.

Imagine taking the risk of going on tour and scraping by, counting pennies and checking balances, regardless of sponsor dollars and placing for cash. Not every player is Paul McBeth.

Imagine showing up to practice for a tournament, and an incomplete layout impacts your chance to cash.

Imagine your livelihood is in the hands of someone like Steve Dodge, or whomever the PDGA is supposed to be, since it is a faceless and toothless organization.

I wonder how many hours of week a traveling disc golfer puts in with travel, practice, and playing?

I’m sure there are whiny, entitled pros, but this is also the system that has been wrought. Blame the PDGA for this. There are also even more whiny, entitled Ams who can’t believe they got another towel and scoff at the brand of disc in their player pack.

Your 50 hour a week comment is exactly like saying “get a job, hippie.”

I follow all this nonsense because I genuinely love disc golf and want to see it be a common-place activity, in our schools and on our TVs. I have always disagreed with the PDGAs Pro first, top-down model, and again, feel like disc golf will always be a joke.



.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 07-07-2019, 11:47 AM
Getty's Avatar
Getty Getty is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Carnation, WA via Baton Rouge, LA
Years Playing: 41.5
Courses Played: 150
Posts: 129
Niced 63 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Spent the last two days working the red tape for the lead card, so I've been able to see the best action up close and personal. I wouldn't say I had a favorite player before, but I might now. As great as Kevin Jones is playing, I think I like the person more than I like the player. Got nothing but nice things to say about him.
He's a super-nice dude who has a lot of respect for our game and those who play it. I really hope he's at the top of the podium at Worlds for many years to come.

Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 07-07-2019, 01:27 PM
mball1684 mball1684 is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Novi, MI
Years Playing: 22.7
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 332
Niced 24 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
Cool that little dude likes Shakespeare.
😑 ha....ha. That’s auto correct for ya.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 07-07-2019, 01:31 PM
JC17393 JC17393 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 7,884
Niced 3,827 Times in 1,580 Posts
Default

Absolutely dominant performance by Paige Pierce. After a somewhat slow start to her year, she's won five starts in a row and 8 of her last 11 (finishing second in the others). Seems she's right back where she was in the first half of last year...every tournament is hers to win.

Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 07-07-2019, 01:33 PM
tbird888's Avatar
tbird888 tbird888 is offline
Salient Disc Test Team
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Blue Ash, OH
Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 16,633
Niced 1,449 Times in 745 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alobar View Post
Thanks for your perspective.

Imagine taking the risk of going on tour and scraping by, counting pennies and checking balances, regardless of sponsor dollars and placing for cash. Not every player is Paul McBeth.

Imagine showing up to practice for a tournament, and an incomplete layout impacts your chance to cash.

Imagine your livelihood is in the hands of someone like Steve Dodge, or whomever the PDGA is supposed to be, since it is a faceless and toothless organization.

I wonder how many hours of week a traveling disc golfer puts in with travel, practice, and playing?

I’m sure there are whiny, entitled pros, but this is also the system that has been wrought. Blame the PDGA for this. There are also even more whiny, entitled Ams who can’t believe they got another towel and scoff at the brand of disc in their player pack.

Your 50 hour a week comment is exactly like saying “get a job, hippie.”
You make some solid points. Now imagine this is how every one of those poor neglected pros has chosen to earn their living.

Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 07-07-2019, 02:02 PM
davetherocketguy's Avatar
davetherocketguy davetherocketguy is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Southwest Michigan
Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,732
Niced 1,798 Times in 738 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alobar View Post
Imagine making the choice to take the risk of going on tour and scraping by, counting pennies and checking balances, regardless of sponsor dollars and placing for cash.
FTFY

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 07-07-2019, 03:04 PM
Flick Maniac's Avatar
Flick Maniac Flick Maniac is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Jokela, Southern Finland
Posts: 1,816
Niced 705 Times in 380 Posts
Default

50 hours?? Man, I work 30 hours, in a place of my other big hobby other than DG, get paid a pitiful amount, and am as happy as a pig in mud.

Life choices.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 07-07-2019, 04:06 PM
mostlynorwegian mostlynorwegian is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Chicago
Courses Played: 3
Posts: 171
Niced 73 Times in 57 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
i'm not buying this. Pros cannot put in meaningful practice without tee signs, that give a rudimentary pictogram of the hole and the distance? Granted these are some of the best players on the planet, but they are not capable of determining strategy on the fly? I mean, all that heat and rain must be unreasonable snafu's to their game. Seriously, Toboggan was far better maintained, marked and prepared than any other A Tier I have played. I played the AM side today and it was terrific.

This is a bunch of overblown, social media drama. If any pros are serious, in their complaints, it is a sad indictment against the entitled expectations of the traveling player. Oh, the hardships endured to travel and play our game. Maybe they should try to put in the 50 hours week at my job.

The disc, for spotting deal was all on Discraft, not the TD.
It is an even more amusing indictment of disc golf that you say what you are saying in this, and then daring a touring professional who is on the road for several months of the year to work your 50 hour a week job.
Huh.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 07-07-2019, 05:09 PM
SD86's Avatar
SD86 SD86 is online now
Snowflake
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Courses Played: 8
Posts: 9,161
Niced 2,207 Times in 1,622 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Absolutely dominant performance by Paige Pierce. After a somewhat slow start to her year, she's won five starts in a row and 8 of her last 11 (finishing second in the others). Seems she's right back where she was in the first half of last year...every tournament is hers to win.
Agreed. And it's an odd-numbered year, like the years which PP has won World titles. Could this be another such year for her? Time will tell.

I get the feeling (no proof, just a feeling) the slow start was due to her not working too hard in the off season, and it took some time for her to get back into peak form. And she's peaking just in time for Words and USWDGC. Look out, rest of field!
Reply With Quote
 

  #120  
Old 07-07-2019, 06:09 PM
Halcón's Avatar
Halcón Halcón is offline
Free at Last
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 12,006
Niced 1,190 Times in 605 Posts
Default

How old is JohnE McCray. 45? 47?

Say what you want about his grumpiness, but the guy can just play disc golf.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Great Lakes Open 2019 - Where to Camp? toddnick Vacations & Road Trips 5 07-12-2019 09:38 AM
DGPT: 2019 Discraft's Portland Open presented by Bevel Craft Brewing May 25-27 brutalbrutus Tournaments & Leagues 290 06-02-2019 06:59 PM
DGPT: 2019 San Francisco Open presented by AbsoluteXtracts 10-May to 12-May-2019 brutalbrutus Tournaments & Leagues 160 05-17-2019 03:19 PM
DGPT: 2019 Waco Annual Charity Open presented by Dynamic Discs brutalbrutus Tournaments & Leagues 285 03-28-2019 08:09 PM
DGPT- 2018 Discraft Great Lakes Open brutalbrutus Tournaments & Leagues 263 07-19-2018 11:51 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.