Old 10-10-2019, 10:56 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 233 Times in 178 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by etdefender19 View Post
Look no further than Tiger Woods

He was at peak dominance and completely tinkered with/changed his swing. It wasn’t equipment, per se, but it proves the point: any athlete is going to “tinker” to try and get better, no matter how good you already are. Whether that tinkering is with mechanics or equipment or something mental, it happens with literally every athlete worth a crap - it’s a byproduct of competitive instinct
His swing in the early days was what got him hurt eventually. It worked, but it wasn't ideal from a longevity standpoint. Now his swing is better.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 10-10-2019, 11:21 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 245 Times in 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhhNegative View Post
His swing in the early days was what got him hurt eventually. It worked, but it wasn't ideal from a longevity standpoint. Now his swing is better.
What got him hurt was thinking he could be a Navy SEAL and doing all of that weekend warrior (literally) nonsense he did for a while. He jacked up his back and has never fully recovered.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 220
Niced 2,897 Times in 1,769 Posts

Quote:

He was at peak dominance and completely tinkered with/changed his swing. It wasn’t equipment, per se, but it proves the point: any athlete is going to “tinker” to try and get better, no matter how good you already are. Whether that tinkering is with mechanics or equipment or something mental, it happens with literally every athlete worth a crap - it’s a byproduct of competitive instinct
Quote:
Originally Posted by UhhNegative View Post
Quote:
What got him hurt was thinking he could be a Navy SEAL and doing all of that weekend warrior (literally) nonsense he did for a while. He jacked up his back and has never fully recovered.
Tiger was never happy with his swing and for good reason.

He didn't start SEAL training until 2006. He did apparently tear his ACL in 2007 during SEAL training, but his knee issues began decades before that, and the leg snap and modern swing is more likely what lead to his back issues, than the SEAL training.

https://www.businessinsider.com/tige...-injury-2012-3
"... He was in the kill house, he came around the corner, made a left hand turn, didn’t get himself braced into what’s called a 'spring stance' — that’s how they describe the stance when they brace themselves — I didn’t go into this much detail in the book. But he didn’t get in the spring stance, he got kicked in the side of the leg, and that’s what went on."

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/jai...uttiger_gd0501
Even when Woods was at his performance peak, he admits that he still felt susceptible to his swing "fingerprint" developed in his childhood. As is common among undersize youth who are above all interested in hitting the ball farther, Woods jerked the club back inside the target line with a shut clubface, which put his shaft "across the line" at the top of the swing. From there, Woods dropped the club below the ideal swing plane, which left his lower body too far ahead of his arms as he approached the ball. It was the original recipe for the "stuck" position Woods would continue to fight for years.

By this time though, that specific fix was being buried by the ripple effect of Woods' wounded knee. Woods has had a bad left knee since childhood, caused from being a preteen daredevil. "It's because of the stuff I did as a kid," he says. "Wiping out on skateboards, crashing on dirt bikes, jumping off things, I banged it up pretty bad." When Woods had surgery on the knee in 1994 to remove a cyst that was putting pressure on the joint, doctors found substantial scar tissue from what they termed childhood injuries.

A specific move in Woods' golf swing wasn't doing him any good, either. Just past impact with longer clubs, Woods regularly snapped his left knee into hyperextension. Woods considered the move a key source of distance, and as a small-boned person of 6-feet-2--who still has a 29½-inch waist and weighs 178 pounds--it was an important one as he competed against bigger men like Singh, Els and Mickelson. In his book How I Play Golf, Woods writes that he would exaggerate the move "when I need an extra 20 yards."

Woods' super-fast hips and leg snap were also a necessary reaction to his tendency toward a closed clubface.

In December 2002, after playing in pain for much of the season, Woods underwent knee surgery in Utah to remove fluid and another cyst. This time during the operation, doctors noticed that Woods' anterior cruciate ligament was significantly stretched. After being informed of the discovery, Woods told friends in the post-operating room that he had to change his swing. "I really had no choice," he says today.

With longevity in mind, Woods' most obvious change was simply to go at the ball with less force. "I don't snap the leg as much, don't go at the ball as hard," he says.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:11 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 577 Times in 302 Posts

Lulz. Really puts golf in perspective when the pudgy Indian guy that looks like your offshore IT manager is the “bigger guy” that you feel can out muscle you.

Golf. Truly the dysgenic game.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,150 Times in 577 Posts

Quote:

trying to avoid talking about changing techniques. that's a totally different topic
Old 10-11-2019, 11:05 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 61
Niced 139 Times in 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
Lulz. Really puts golf in perspective when the pudgy Indian guy that looks like your offshore IT manager is the “bigger guy” that you feel can out muscle you.

Golf. Truly the dysgenic game.

Take a look of Time Kite photographs. Probably one of these least imposing (physically anyways) players to play on tour.

In 1989 he was named PGA of America Player of the Year; in 1981 the Golf Writers Association Player of the Year, the Vardon Trophy winner in 1981 and 1982, Bob Jones Award recipient in 1979 and Golf Digest Rookie of the Year in 1973, per his wikipedia page.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:15 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck'n'disc5 View Post
Take a look of Time Kite photographs. Probably one of these least imposing (physically anyways) players to play on tour.

In 1989 he was named PGA of America Player of the Year; in 1981 the Golf Writers Association Player of the Year, the Vardon Trophy winner in 1981 and 1982, Bob Jones Award recipient in 1979 and Golf Digest Rookie of the Year in 1973, per his wikipedia page.
Haha, I actually watched the 92 US open at Pebble on Golf channel a couple months ago. I was like "who is the amateur sports writer playing golf?". It looks like his skin collectively died but is still hanging on for the ride.

Old 10-11-2019, 11:19 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 61
Niced 139 Times in 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
I guess I never got that much into ball golf to realize all the little differences in equipment. Probably because I was in high school/college and didn't have any money!
The funny thing about this, I used cheap clubs when I played on the high school golf team. And the team could play on the home course anytime for free, which is pretty much the only reason why I even joined. Plus all of our matches was basically playing free golf. My 2 best friends played and they needed a fifth/sixth player to fill the roster. Then, i got into college and picked up disc golf pretty fast because I couldn't really afford greens fees considering how much I liked to play at the time.

Now a days, I purchase one of those monthly passes with unlimited range balls and I can play the course for $14 during designated hours which is anytime after Noon. That particular pass is $30 a month but 3 months has to be purchased at a time. But heck, its about $12 for a large bucket of range balls. About 120 are in a large bucket, making it about a dime per shot, on the dang range!
Old 10-11-2019, 11:40 AM
Double Eagle Member

Anyone looking to get into golf on the cheap should look at an old set of TM Burners or an even older set of Ping Eye2's. Those are some of the most forgiving irons ever made and they should come in at ~$100 for a short set. If you want to step it up I personally game Mizuno MP-32's, which are the most buttery blades I have ever hit, period. If you want to step up to forged I wouldn't bother with the GI irons; MP-32's are more forgiving than the forged cavity backs I have tried.

Old 10-11-2019, 11:58 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 233 Times in 178 Posts

My dad is a low handicap player (like high 70s/low 80s) so he got me into the First Tee program as a kid. Really great program and I got lessons from the course pro (and I think it was all free?). I really enjoyed golf and I've still got an old set of clubs from my dad, but like puck'n'disc said, it's just too dang expensive. I can afford playing if I wanted to prioritize it, but when disc golf is more fun, cheaper, and takes less time the choice is easy for me. There's also that element of "the good ole boys club" pretentious sort of thinking in golf that leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

I still like going to the range on the rare occasion just for fun. A course near me does a "cosmic driving range" at night which sounds like it could be a blast.