Old 10-13-2019, 06:35 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 36 Times in 21 Posts
Default Tips for form correction

Over the past year I've improved significantly in my drives both in terms of distance and accuracy. However, my form still has the same issues. I plant open, and I lean back as I take the final step.

No matter what I try, I can't break these habits. Can anyone who has worked through similar issues comment on what worked for you?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2019, 07:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 220
Niced 2,894 Times in 1,766 Posts

Assuming from last known video you are still stuck weight back on the rear heel when the front heel plants, so you are in a wide stance with both heels on the ground instead of shifting forward off rear foot into a dynamic narrow stance/one leg balance on front foot. Note how Markus's rear heel is airborne/weightless and hips are flexed into athletic posture/stance/forward balance ready to squat a bunch of weight or pick up someone off the ground/tug of war and his butt is facing the target more. Your balance is more behind your heels/seated posture and your hips/femurs are turned more outward. Need to shift so then you can turn on one leg.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 5.54.30 PM copy.jpg (43.0 KB, 160 views)
Old 10-13-2019, 08:14 PM
Par Member

Thanks, I'll check these out, I think I haven't seen these. However I did check out the ones you previously posted and I'm still just not getting it.

For reference, here's my current form:

https://youtu.be/AL_jnnjUG50

Thanks for the help, not sure why this is so difficult for me but I really appreciate it.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 220
Niced 2,894 Times in 1,766 Posts

Your rear arm is caught behind your rotation and flying around instead of swimming/leveraging the rest of the body/swing forward. Your shoulders are rotating flat/horizontal and around, instead of swinging forward in a pendulum. Bring your rear arm/shoulder forward to the front instep underneath the front shoulder - almost reaching to the sky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvvF6eW-by8#t=7m30s
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=124523

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 9.13.19 PM.jpg (111.1 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 9.23.11 PM.jpg (115.7 KB, 158 views)

Niced: (1)
Old 10-13-2019, 11:10 PM
Par Member

Thanks, that's incredibly helpful!
Old 10-14-2019, 02:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 516 Times in 215 Posts

Not that I should be giving advice...but...I'm dealing with some of the same issues.

Like SW22 says, your timing is off.

Here are some things that have been helpful to me in the last few days.
First, slow down. Walk thru the X-step.
Second, try to delay your forward arm motion for a split second at your farthest reachback (can I still use that word?), this will allow you to better (with more commitment) plant your plant foot.
Third, shift your weight from your back foot onto your plant foot - toe to heel (crush the can drill)
Fourth, plant hard; commit to really plant onto that front foot. Don't spin around the leg, think of it as driving a tent stake into the ground at a forward angle / as you plant.
Last, accelerate your disc late. Wait until the disc is at your chest before you really accelerate it, this will almost FORCE you to plant well.

Again, I'm not
Old 10-14-2019, 04:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 40
Niced 516 Times in 215 Posts

Sorry, I got interrupted...

Again, I'm not an expert, just working through some of the same issues.

Listen to SlowPlastic and SW22 and others. If I seem to contradict them in any way, listen to them.
They've been helpful to me many times.

The only other thing that I will say is there is no substitute for repetition and drills.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:43 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 31.3
Courses Played: 45
Niced 11 Times in 8 Posts

When trying to change/improve form, I find it helpful to first go in slow motion to ingrain the new movement.

Then I slowly pick it up until I get to full speed. If things break down at any point, I slow it down again.

Last edited by Surly Bastage; 10-14-2019 at 11:46 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:26 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 27 Times in 18 Posts

Tilt your head slightly towards the target when swinging the disc back. Thats a mental image that clicked for me, your whole body/spine is going to bend a little towards the target. Imagine the left hip/pelvis being a little higher. This is how you would shift your weight if you had an ice skate on. No special tricks just bend. That counter balances the weight of the arm thus keeps you balanced through the back swing and also ensures that the momentum is going forward. You are also going to be in an automatic position(door frame to crush the can) to shift and brace as your brain wont allow you to really move unless there is support from the ground. I've been struggling for over a year with injuries and crappy throwing and this funny little thing made my throwing so much easier and pain free in just three sessions. Its sad to say but the form is never gonna be good unless your balance is ok through out the whole motion.

Old 10-16-2019, 03:40 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 27 Times in 18 Posts

And to add an another analogy. No one would lean back if their intention is to jump forward. If you attend to jump sideways to your right you are still never leaning the opposite direction. Everyone knows it's absurd. But so many of us do or have done that exact thing when throwing a disc just because we have seen Will or Eagle reach way back. The difference is that they are perfectly balanced and their intention is to always move forward no matter how reached back they look.