Old 11-01-2019, 07:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,799 Times in 738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojorooks View Post
One disc I found had the guys PDGA number on it so I looked up this 'professional'. He had earned winnings of about $2000 in the past 5 years.

In a disc golf tournament 'professional' means playing for money. 'Amateur' means playing for stuff. Any where else, 'professional' means you get paid for what you do, which would be the few people who play for Discraft, Innova etc.
Exactly. I've encountered a few of these "professionals" who act like we ams benefit from being graced by their presence and act like they ought to be treated like a "professional." I wonder if these folks realize how big of a douche nozzle they appear? Lol I wonder if any of them are reading this?

Fortunately, the douche/civilized ratio in the "professional" ranks that I've encountered has been quite low for me personally.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-01-2019, 07:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,529 Times in 1,533 Posts

There are 2 arguments for Weema and/or against this rule:

Principle - that any disc golfer should be allowed to play.

Literal - that the division name is "Open", which compels us to let any disc golfer play.

My comment about Professionals not to bash those players, but to prod the latter argument. We use a lot of terms that aren't literal. Amateurs aren't pure amateurs, either. Novices aren't beginning players, just players below a certain skill level. And I used to have a lot of fun with "Advanced Grand Masters."

For myself, I can live with "Open" meaning open to all players in 99% of events, and almost all players in the elite 1% of events.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-01-2019, 10:12 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 176 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post
$75 for Pro membership, and $10 for the open book, take as long as you want, test.

So $85 and some reading.

They're not really what we mean by 'eligibility criteria' are they? Why not include 'must be able to navigate to venue' and 'must be in possession of shoes and a disc'.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
All players at any level are required to have your second list of items (although sandals or slides are also allowed)

Only pro players at NT or worlds are required to do the first (as far as I know)

So now it's $85, some reading, and a very basic (measurable) level of proficiency at the sport
Old 11-01-2019, 10:16 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 36
Courses Played: 2
Niced 81 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
There are 2 arguments for Weema and/or against this rule:

Principle - that any disc golfer should be allowed to play.

Literal - that the division name is "Open", which compels us to let any disc golfer play.

My comment about Professionals not to bash those players, but to prod the latter argument. We use a lot of terms that aren't literal. Amateurs aren't pure amateurs, either. Novices aren't beginning players, just players below a certain skill level. And I used to have a lot of fun with "Advanced Grand Masters."

For myself, I can live with "Open" meaning open to all players in 99% of events, and almost all players in the elite 1% of events.
Open means open to those who qualify.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,161 Times in 667 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post
All players at any level are required to have your second list of items (although sandals or slides are also allowed)

Only pro players at NT or worlds are required to do the first (as far as I know)

So now it's $85, some reading, and a very basic (measurable) level of proficiency at the sport
Is there really a shoe rule? I know in golf, pros have been know to take off their shoes in tournament play... it been many years since I have heard of it happening, but still.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,827 Times in 1,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
Is there really a shoe rule? I know in golf, pros have been know to take off their shoes in tournament play... it been many years since I have heard of it happening, but still.
Competition Manual, 3.04.C
Old 11-01-2019, 12:33 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 154 Times in 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
Though the Q&A does also give permission for a player to throw with their feet. Presumably allowable barefooted. So I'm thinking the foot-dominant player probably has to wear their shoes between throws. Maybe I'll write the rules committee......

https://www.pdga.com/faq/rules/qa-th...-can-you-throw

Old 11-01-2019, 12:58 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 176 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post
Though the Q&A does also give permission for a player to throw with their feet. Presumably allowable barefooted. So I'm thinking the foot-dominant player probably has to wear their shoes between throws. Maybe I'll write the rules committee......

https://www.pdga.com/faq/rules/qa-th...-can-you-throw

3.04.C says "Players will not be allowed to play in bare feet." To throw the disc with your foot, you could kick it or wear sandals/slides that allow your toes to grip the disc. But playing barefoot is definitely not ever allowed.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,161 Times in 667 Posts

Quote:
3.04.C says "Players will not be allowed to play in bare feet." To throw the disc with your foot, you could kick it or wear sandals/slides that allow your toes to grip the disc. But playing barefoot is definitely not ever allowed.
A kick is not a throw.

Old 11-01-2019, 02:35 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 154 Times in 84 Posts

Quote:
QA-THR-2 says "There are no restrictions on how you throw the disc."

Insisting that a foot-throw be made shod, seems to be a... restriction.