#461  
Old 11-01-2019, 07:16 AM
davetherocketguy's Avatar
davetherocketguy davetherocketguy is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Southwest Michigan
Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,732
Niced 1,799 Times in 738 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojorooks View Post
One disc I found had the guys PDGA number on it so I looked up this 'professional'. He had earned winnings of about $2000 in the past 5 years.

In a disc golf tournament 'professional' means playing for money. 'Amateur' means playing for stuff. Any where else, 'professional' means you get paid for what you do, which would be the few people who play for Discraft, Innova etc.
Exactly. I've encountered a few of these "professionals" who act like we ams benefit from being graced by their presence and act like they ought to be treated like a "professional." I wonder if these folks realize how big of a douche nozzle they appear? Lol I wonder if any of them are reading this?

Fortunately, the douche/civilized ratio in the "professional" ranks that I've encountered has been quite low for me personally.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #462  
Old 11-01-2019, 07:26 AM
DavidSauls's Avatar
DavidSauls DavidSauls is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newberry, SC
Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 125
Posts: 15,231
Niced 3,529 Times in 1,533 Posts
Default

There are 2 arguments for Weema and/or against this rule:

Principle - that any disc golfer should be allowed to play.

Literal - that the division name is "Open", which compels us to let any disc golfer play.

My comment about Professionals not to bash those players, but to prod the latter argument. We use a lot of terms that aren't literal. Amateurs aren't pure amateurs, either. Novices aren't beginning players, just players below a certain skill level. And I used to have a lot of fun with "Advanced Grand Masters."

For myself, I can live with "Open" meaning open to all players in 99% of events, and almost all players in the elite 1% of events.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #463  
Old 11-01-2019, 10:12 AM
robdeforge robdeforge is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Courses Played: 1
Posts: 387
Niced 176 Times in 92 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post
$75 for Pro membership, and $10 for the open book, take as long as you want, test.

So $85 and some reading.

They're not really what we mean by 'eligibility criteria' are they? Why not include 'must be able to navigate to venue' and 'must be in possession of shoes and a disc'.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
All players at any level are required to have your second list of items (although sandals or slides are also allowed)

Only pro players at NT or worlds are required to do the first (as far as I know)

So now it's $85, some reading, and a very basic (measurable) level of proficiency at the sport
Reply With Quote
  #464  
Old 11-01-2019, 10:16 AM
ballgolfconvert ballgolfconvert is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Years Playing: 36
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 123
Niced 81 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
There are 2 arguments for Weema and/or against this rule:

Principle - that any disc golfer should be allowed to play.

Literal - that the division name is "Open", which compels us to let any disc golfer play.

My comment about Professionals not to bash those players, but to prod the latter argument. We use a lot of terms that aren't literal. Amateurs aren't pure amateurs, either. Novices aren't beginning players, just players below a certain skill level. And I used to have a lot of fun with "Advanced Grand Masters."

For myself, I can live with "Open" meaning open to all players in 99% of events, and almost all players in the elite 1% of events.
Open means open to those who qualify.
Reply With Quote
  #465  
Old 11-01-2019, 12:15 PM
wolfmandragon's Avatar
wolfmandragon wolfmandragon is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Morristown, TN
Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,620
Niced 1,161 Times in 667 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post
All players at any level are required to have your second list of items (although sandals or slides are also allowed)

Only pro players at NT or worlds are required to do the first (as far as I know)

So now it's $85, some reading, and a very basic (measurable) level of proficiency at the sport
Is there really a shoe rule? I know in golf, pros have been know to take off their shoes in tournament play... it been many years since I have heard of it happening, but still.
Reply With Quote
  #466  
Old 11-01-2019, 12:16 PM
JC17393 JC17393 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 7,884
Niced 3,827 Times in 1,580 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
Is there really a shoe rule? I know in golf, pros have been know to take off their shoes in tournament play... it been many years since I have heard of it happening, but still.
Competition Manual, 3.04.C
Reply With Quote
  #467  
Old 11-01-2019, 12:33 PM
cheesethin cheesethin is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Courses Played: 16
Posts: 298
Niced 154 Times in 84 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
Is there really a shoe rule? I know in golf, pros have been know to take off their shoes in tournament play... it been many years since I have heard of it happening, but still.
Though the Q&A does also give permission for a player to throw with their feet. Presumably allowable barefooted. So I'm thinking the foot-dominant player probably has to wear their shoes between throws. Maybe I'll write the rules committee......

https://www.pdga.com/faq/rules/qa-th...-can-you-throw

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #468  
Old 11-01-2019, 12:58 PM
robdeforge robdeforge is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Courses Played: 1
Posts: 387
Niced 176 Times in 92 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post
Though the Q&A does also give permission for a player to throw with their feet. Presumably allowable barefooted. So I'm thinking the foot-dominant player probably has to wear their shoes between throws. Maybe I'll write the rules committee......

https://www.pdga.com/faq/rules/qa-th...-can-you-throw

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
3.04.C says "Players will not be allowed to play in bare feet." To throw the disc with your foot, you could kick it or wear sandals/slides that allow your toes to grip the disc. But playing barefoot is definitely not ever allowed.
Reply With Quote
  #469  
Old 11-01-2019, 01:13 PM
wolfmandragon's Avatar
wolfmandragon wolfmandragon is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Morristown, TN
Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,620
Niced 1,161 Times in 667 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post
3.04.C says "Players will not be allowed to play in bare feet." To throw the disc with your foot, you could kick it or wear sandals/slides that allow your toes to grip the disc. But playing barefoot is definitely not ever allowed.
A kick is not a throw.
Reply With Quote
 

  #470  
Old 11-01-2019, 02:35 PM
cheesethin cheesethin is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Courses Played: 16
Posts: 298
Niced 154 Times in 84 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post
3.04.C says "Players will not be allowed to play in bare feet." To throw the disc with your foot, you could kick it or wear sandals/slides that allow your toes to grip the disc. But playing barefoot is definitely not ever allowed.
QA-THR-2 says "There are no restrictions on how you throw the disc."

Insisting that a foot-throw be made shod, seems to be a... restriction.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Upshot: WACO, Jeremy Koling, RamPAIGE | Ultiworld Disc Golf JTacoma03 General Disc Golf Chat 42 03-23-2018 11:14 PM
UltiWorld: About those disc golf Meccas... VictorB General Disc Golf Chat 39 04-12-2017 12:47 PM
Ultiworld Disc Golf Is Hiring onemilemore General Disc Golf Chat 1 06-28-2016 03:56 PM
Nice newspaper article about disc golf and disc golf in Spokane WA. Disc Dog General Disc Golf Chat 10 05-18-2014 03:03 PM
Disc Golf Article nosajeel99 General Disc Golf Chat 2 03-15-2009 01:27 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.