Old 02-08-2016, 11:26 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Help with tennis elbow

Hi all,

Started playing disc golf last summer and developed a bad case of tennis elbow. I went to a doctor and after months of first immobilization and then physical therapy, I still had a lot of weakness and pain.

My doctor decided to try and new procedure on me (new for him). I had an injection of something called AmnioFix which is made from amniotic fluid donated by mothers. Went right into the tendon and is filled with growth factors.

Can say that after a couple weeks, my elbow feels MUCH better and I should soon be able to start a workout program on it. For anyone suffering from tendonitis that isn't responding to traditional therapies, just wanted to mention my experience in case it might help out someone else.

I know there is also a therapy that uses your own blood plasma as well.

Good health!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2016, 11:28 AM
Bending Rodriguez

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 120
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 12 Times in 10 Posts
Send a message via AIM to B3NDER

Stem cells!
Old 02-08-2016, 12:03 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3NDER View Post
Stem cells!
Technically not but I was thinking the same thing. At least this is from donated placentas from mothers who have C-Sections. So (at least for me) no morality issues to face as if it were fetus tissue. Amazing science!
Old 02-08-2016, 12:08 PM
Bending Rodriguez

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 120
Niced 12 Times in 10 Posts
Send a message via AIM to B3NDER

Just razzing you a bit. At least it sounds as if it is working for you - and whatever gets you back on the course sounds like good news to me.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 19
Niced 988 Times in 580 Posts

I was having awful elbow problems the first year of playing disc golf. Chalked it up to bad form and strong arming the disc. Now days I can literally throw as often as I want...assuming the knees allow me to. lol..
Old 02-08-2016, 01:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Tennis elbow IMO is due to over pulling, at least that's when I get it. If you break your throw into two parts, the load, and the unwind, over pulling into the load puts a huge strain on the elbow and shoulder. The answer is to realize that the load into the unwind is relaxed, you're more passive than active. Once the elbow is bent and the disc is in, the unwind is active and at full acceleration.

I'd never let any western doctor inject anything in me for something like this, but that's just my opinion. I admit, what Amniofix claims to do is what you want to do for this type of injury, but given that you're putting a foreign substance that is essentially amniotic and placental material into your joint, not so much. Keep in mind that MiMedx, the producer is still in dutch with the FDA, are still in a law suit with their stock holders, and have not subjected Amniofix to large scale medical testing to see if it is really efficacious. There isn't even a defined pathway for how it "brings down swelling, eliminates scar tissue, and increases healing."

There is a treadmill of sales agents through your doctor's office, by and far, most doctors are still male, and most of the sales agents are young and female, and they work that so that doctors are pushing their products. This method of sales is effective, studies show it is, but it isn't necessarily good for you. Congress has looked into this and they are considering legislation that will make doctors register what sales reps come into their offices and what quid pro quo occurs. Wanna bet it never passes?

What happens in this type of sports injury is that you have inflammation of the tendons in the joint, and possibly some of the soft tissue. It doesn't heal because the inflammation essentially becomes permanent and blood, along with other body made healing agents, can't get in there to do their job. The way to get it to heal is with the right kind of therapy, but it is hard work. It means getting the swelling down, treating the soft tissue and tendons with sometimes painful deep massages to break down the tightened tissues so that blood flow is increased, and doing the right kind of exercises. You have to be religious about it, doing the treatment day in and day out. I've gone through this with bursitis, and it works.

I know that it didn't work for gronkus, but I'd still go to that methodology first, before I'd try anything like this.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:40 PM
Supreme Disc Golf Authority

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 286
Niced 111 Times in 54 Posts

I got a case of the tennis elbow not from throwing, but yanking sheet rock off of walls after Hurricane Katrina down here in New Orleans...happy Mardi Gras by the way.

I guess I was lucky that it healed up eventually, but I did have to stop playing disc golf for almost a year. It did help that Katrina wiped out our only course at the time and so there wasn't even a place to play for nearly a year.

I do get occasional flare-ups, in fact I have one right now. The only thing that I have tried that really helps (other than months of rest) is a compression sleeve. I was very skeptical before I tried it but it sure seems to heal my tennis elbow pretty fast. Other things that help slightly are NSAIDs, ice, and elevation of the arm.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 50
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'm glad your doctor found a treatment for you that seems to be working well.

As you get back into throwing make sure you a) take it easy and don't push yourself to hard to fast

B) work on your form and try to find what caused the injury in the first place. Throwing discs should be pretty low to non impact. If disc golf is causing you injury then you need to fix whatever mechanical flaw caused the injury in the first place,or you will keep getting hurt.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:30 PM
* Condor Member *

Years Playing: 35.1
Courses Played: 27
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Strengthen up them muscles before yanking on a disc. Pushups, pull ups, curls. Take the strain away from the tendons and put it on the muscles.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 220
Niced 2,894 Times in 1,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
Tennis elbow IMO is due to over pulling, at least that's when I get it. If you break your throw into two parts, the load, and the unwind, over pulling into the load puts a huge strain on the elbow and shoulder. The answer is to realize that the load into the unwind is relaxed, you're more passive than active. Once the elbow is bent and the disc is in, the unwind is active and at full acceleration.

I'd never let any western doctor inject anything in me for something like this, but that's just my opinion. I admit, what Amniofix claims to do is what you want to do for this type of injury, but given that you're putting a foreign substance that is essentially amniotic and placental material into your joint, not so much. Keep in mind that MiMedx, the producer is still in dutch with the FDA, are still in a law suit with their stock holders, and have not subjected Amniofix to large scale medical testing to see if it is really efficacious. There isn't even a defined pathway for how it "brings down swelling, eliminates scar tissue, and increases healing."

There is a treadmill of sales agents through your doctor's office, by and far, most doctors are still male, and most of the sales agents are young and female, and they work that so that doctors are pushing their products. This method of sales is effective, studies show it is, but it isn't necessarily good for you. Congress has looked into this and they are considering legislation that will make doctors register what sales reps come into their offices and what quid pro quo occurs. Wanna bet it never passes?

What happens in this type of sports injury is that you have inflammation of the tendons in the joint, and possibly some of the soft tissue. It doesn't heal because the inflammation essentially becomes permanent and blood, along with other body made healing agents, can't get in there to do their job. The way to get it to heal is with the right kind of therapy, but it is hard work. It means getting the swelling down, treating the soft tissue and tendons with sometimes painful deep massages to break down the tightened tissues so that blood flow is increased, and doing the right kind of exercises. You have to be religious about it, doing the treatment day in and day out. I've gone through this with bursitis, and it works.

I know that it didn't work for gronkus, but I'd still go to that methodology first, before I'd try anything like this.
Yeah I agree with all the above, often starting the throw with a curled wrist or over curling, and then over extending can be the culprit. Also gripping too hard for for too long.