Old 02-15-2010, 06:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 116
Niced 212 Times in 84 Posts
Default IDGC as a destination

Does the International Disc Golf Course complex live up to it's name as must-play pilgrimage for DGers, or is it just three more course options to play when you are near Appling, Ga ? It appears that many folks are not even playing all three courses.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Mando; 02-15-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 130
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 5 Times in 4 Posts

I keep trying to get there, it's close, but just not close enough! Whenever I make it there, I'll make a day out of it and play all 3 courses!
Old 02-15-2010, 06:40 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 24.7
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

the best course there by far is the steady ed memorial course. If you were to play just 1 of the 3 play that one. You should MOST definately also should play while you are down there the lake olmstead course and the private hippodrome course. I dont think the hippodrome is listed on the pdga site but when you go down to the idgc ask about it. Ask them to call the hippodrome office and see if you can get a round in. If you are going to go down there plan ahead and call the idgc about the hippodrome before you leave. It is a must play if you are there. There are several layouts there so if you dont have a guide it will be confusing. When we were at the idgc there was a guy that worked there and he gave us a tour of the hippodrome because his buddy worked there.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:50 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 24.7
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

the guys name that works at the idgc that can help you is jason allind. you can call there and ask for him or go to his discgolfer page and write to him
http://www.discgolfersr.us/profile/J...les_memberList
Old 02-16-2010, 07:40 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 125
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Also, if you do make it a destination, Riverview is also a MUST play. It is at the Augusta border between SC and Ga. Not far at all!
Old 02-16-2010, 08:36 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 31.7
Courses Played: 1726
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 27 Times in 10 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to danhyzer

I got the opportunity a couple weeks ago to spend a few days in this area and say...The Steady Ed Headrick Memorial is a MUST play, it's the best DGC in that area IMO. Lake Olmstead is a very tough DGC if your up for an equally as hard challenge, I just though the Steady Ed Headrick Memorial was a better DGC to play of the two. but you should play both of them if your in the area for a couple of daze.

I also recomend Patriots Park and Pendleton King, both better than average DGC's. From what I was told if it is really wet outside Riverview could be a problem because of a nearby sewer plant. and since it was raining all the way down from Atlanta the day we visited IDGC we decided to skip Riverview and play Patroits Park and then the next day play Pendleton King and Lake Olmstead the next day.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Niced 3,531 Times in 1,533 Posts

I guess it depends on what you're looking for in your pilgrimage.

The courses at IDGC are good, or perhaps very good, but they're not dazzling. You're not likely to leave thinking "That was INCREDIBLE!" or "I'll NEVER forget that course!".

What visitors will find is

* 3 courses at one location
* All good, perhaps very good, depending on your taste.
* A very nice facility with the PDGA headquarters, pro shop, multiple practice baskets, and no non-disc-golfers.
* The Hall-of-Fame and Museum (if that interests you).
* Other very good courses within 20 miles or so to stretch out your visit.
* And an escape from the cold and ice, especially from November - March.

If you really want to make it a pilgrimage, visit other courses along the way, with IDGC as the destination. Most directions that approach the IDGC have some fine, perhaps even better, courses along the route.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts
Send a message via AIM to billnchristy

Quote:
And an escape from the cold and ice, especially from November - March.
David, I know you are just up the road...have you been outside this year?
Old 02-16-2010, 11:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Niced 3,531 Times in 1,533 Posts

Yes, and very grumpy about it too.

I hate winter, and this is the coldest, wettest we've had in 30 years. I much prefer 95 degree, 95 humidity southern summers. I even got to play in 3 1/2 inches of snow Saturday, and found the disc-golf-in-the-snow experience to be greatly overrated.

When I wrote about the weather in Augusta, I was presuming that anyone considering a "pilgrimage" to IDGC would be coming from further away, where winter is even worse that ours. I've seen the weather reports from up north and, while they may brag about playing in the snow, I'll bet 45 degrees will seem balmy and if we ever get back to normals---winter highs in the mid- to upper-50s, that will be an attraction in itself.

In the meantime, I'm starting an organization to promote Global Warming and put a halt to winter altogether.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 386
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 22 Times in 10 Posts

Steady Ed is a topshelf course - #2 on my list of 244 played. Definitely a destination "write home about it" course.

I have not played Jim Warner as it was installed after my visit. WR Jackson is quite good, but lacks the water and interesting elevation of Steady Ed. It is not nearly as beautiful. It is wooded, but has mostly interstate wide fairways that are mostly long - a grip it and rip it wooded course (disappointing combination to me). Granted, it is a Gold level course and is appropriately designed above my ability to really enjoy.

Steady Ed has great elevation, water, par 4's, beauty, seclusion, a wide variety of throws needed, lots of risk/reward decisions, etc. What more could you want in a course??!! This one picture show all of this:

Bottom line, definitely a destination!