Old 11-22-2016, 04:28 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,211 Times in 1,626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consult20 View Post
I'll admit I don't keep up on what pros are throwing at a given time, so maybe it's fairly common knowledge he only bags destroyers for distance drivers. I just thought most Innova pros carry Destroyers, Bosses, and Wraiths.
I don't make a point to keep up, either, though I do watch ITB videos if they come up. Most(Innova) pros carry Destroyers, Bosses, -OR- Wraiths. Some may carry multiple molds, but they usually settle on one. IIRC, Ken Climo uses the Wraith.

I don't know why I was surprised about McBeth carrying only Roc3s and Mako3s as mids. It just struck me, though. I think McBeth once carried a Gator as a utility disc; I seem to remember him throwing one to get out of trouble at either BSF or Worlds a few years ago.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2016, 04:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 163
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,181 Times in 582 Posts

It surprised me he carries so many molds. 3 different putter molds, for example. And it especially surprises me that he carries a second mid mold, frankly. Dude has to have plenty of seasoned Roc3s. Those Makos just feel SO different. And I didn't notice them doing anything I can't do with a seasoned Roc.

Dude definitely knows what he is doing though. From experience. Like, from actually throwing Frisbees. *cough*
Old 11-22-2016, 04:40 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,211 Times in 1,626 Posts

Quote:
Tight wooded hole with dense trees on both sides of a narrow fairway, you end up 125' away on the right edge just off the fairway. Fairway dog legs right to the basket. It's impossible to forehand (assuming RH player) because of dense trees to the right. The only line you have is RHBH that must hold the line all the way to the basket -- if it fades early you're in dense woods to the left.
Take the same scenario only flip it around so the dogleg is left and you're on the left side just off the fairway. No backhand possibility, so FH the understable putter or mid, depending on the length.
Without understable discs that hold the line all the way, you just can't get close to the basket -- add a stroke or more.
Good scenario. Here's one I face on my home course all the time:

The 18th hole goes through a narrow chute of pine trees, slightly uphill. Then, all of this to the left: there is the 12th hole tee pad (not adequately protected, IMHO), then a row of cedar trees that one does NOT want to put one's arm into to retrieve a disc, then there's the 11th hole basket, then magnolia trees.

I throw my Fury RHBH on this shot. To the right it's a clear field of grass. The Fury will come out of the chute of trees, turn over to the right, and land where I have a clear shot for my next throw. The turnover backhand gets me more distance than a forehand, and less chance of hitting those pine trees.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
I'll admit I don't keep up on what pros are throwing at a given time, so maybe it's fairly common knowledge he only bags destroyers for distance drivers. I just thought most Innova pros carry Destroyers, Bosses, and Wraiths.
What got me was the number of mids Paul carries. Of course he throws mids like I throw fairways.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 132 Times in 93 Posts

Quote:
Tight wooded hole with dense trees on both sides of a narrow fairway, you end up 125' away on the right edge just off the fairway. Fairway dog legs right to the basket. It's impossible to forehand (assuming RH player) because of dense trees to the right. The only line you have is RHBH that must hold the line all the way to the basket -- if it fades early you're in dense woods to the left.

Take the same scenario only flip it around so the dogleg is left and you're on the left side just off the fairway. No backhand possibility, so FH the understable putter or mid, depending on the length.
Those two scenarios are two of the reasons (as well as tailwind and uphill shots) that I carry understable discs.

But if I can throw either a turnover shot or a forehand I will throw a forehand. I am more accurate with a forehand then throwing a turnover shot and have about the same distance with the forehand as my backhand.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 121
Niced 83 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastic Thunder View Post
Two reasons really:

1. Why make a disc do something it's not really designed to do? It's easier to throw an under stable disc than to modify your throw with a stable disc.

2. I am a left handed backhand and 2/3 of the holes I play favor right handed players. So it's easier to pull out and under stable disc than to fight a hole with a stable disc. I never have to wonder if the disc is going to go where I intended, it does it by design.
1. No Doubt
2. Less Cedar and more Apex for holes that finish right. LOL.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-17-2017, 12:03 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 155
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
What in the hell are you talking about?

Yes, I may use a nuke for a freaking cut roller that will go a net 25'. You are missing the point.
I know it's been a while, but I don't think I'm missing any point. Your original post asked why people carry understable discs. Predictably, they are for shots that need to flip up and hold straight or to stay turned over for longer. However, my follow up to your rhetorical questions post was simply trying to state that many discs can be used in multiple situations, depending on your needs and comfort level with the throw in question. Focusing on US/S/OS becomes more flexible as you learn to shape the shot you need.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:58 AM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 133
Niced 751 Times in 395 Posts

Forehand...
Understable forehand is great when you are stuck in the left of the fairway and need to throw left...backhand won't work for hyzer route
Overhand
Understable overhand shots flip faster...

Old 08-17-2017, 09:45 AM

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODRB View Post
Taking a lesson from and playing a round with Nate was the best thing I have ever done for my game.

Anyone who has an opportunity to take an actual lesson with a 1000+ rated player ought to do it. Stat.
I agree! I took a lesson from Nate recently. He is a great teacher.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 132
Niced 605 Times in 287 Posts

US discs in my bag:

Wedge, Condor, beat DX FT Roc, *Lite RR, beat Polaris LS, Heat (x2), beat Lace

Hyzer flips are the most fun shots to execute well in DG. Spike hyzers are the most fun to throw though...

Niced: (1)