Old 06-22-2018, 02:56 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,208 Times in 1,623 Posts
Default Infinite Discs Sphinx

I was surprised that my search for a Sphinx thread yielded no results, so here goes a new one:

Just got my 167g I-blend Sphinx in, and it is yet another grand slam home run for Infinite Discs. The I-blend plastic ("I" stands for "Infinite", I think) is not Shimmer Star or GStar, as I'd feared it might be. It's like the softer Star plastic in my Star Roc3 and Mako3 from a couple of years ago, maybe like Pro that didn't quite make it to full-blown firm Star material. But it feels just fine, grips well.

The Sphinx's numbers are 9,6,-3,1. Not sure if the glide is quite that, but the Sphinx is understable fresh out of the box. Like a beginning-to-season-in Star Sidewinder or fresh Fury kind of understable. It turned over nicely on a couple of drives, with a bit of fade back. (One drive was downhill, so it had some more room to fade back.).

The Sphinx is right there as a Speed 9 Mamba/Vulcan type of disc. I look forward to seeing how durable the I-blend plastic is, and if the Sphinx holds its numbers or gets even more US and flippier. I also look forward to testing it as a roller; I suspect it will be a good one.

If this keeps up, I might end up with an All-Infinite bag(!).
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 06-22-2018, 03:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 846 Times in 575 Posts

Is the wing the same as one of the Innova 9s?
Old 06-22-2018, 04:05 PM
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
Is the wing the same as one of the Innova 9s?
I'll see if I can take and upload some pics later on, but I pulled out some Valks, Sidewinders, and my one Star Roadrunner and eyeballed them with the Sphinx.

The bottom piece of the Sphinx is like the Roadrunner. They both have underside rims that "bulge", i.e. are slightly convex, while the Sidewinder and Valkyrie are concave. The top piece of the Sphinx is not like the Roadrunner nor Sidewinder at all; it's a lot more Valkyrie-"ish". So maybe the Sphinx is a Valk/Roadrunner combination.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 725 Times in 508 Posts

A valkrunner? Sounds fun!

Niced: (1)
Old 06-22-2018, 07:33 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 34 Times in 19 Posts

I'd be interested to hear how fast it wears, if anyone wants to check back in after throwing the disc for a couple months. These understable-when-fresh drivers can either get better or worse as they age depending on how fast they get flippy and how much you can control them after they get to 7/10 or 6/10 territory.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 2
Niced 444 Times in 324 Posts

Is consistently flippier than a RR out of the box? If so I may grab a Sphinx (or an Aries) and a Pharoah. The only thing I hate about Infinite is the $150 free shipping. Hopefully they will branch out to MSt and DGC, if they pull a DD like move, watch for the fire sale.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:21 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 314 Times in 190 Posts

I've been throwing a Sphinx for about a month now and like it. It is my hyzer flip to laser straight with a slight fade at the end disc. It does have some sweet glide. I'm still trying to figure out the nuances on a flat throw. It will turn in a little wind but when calm I'm getting "S" curve to straight with a fade. Like I said, still trying to figure it out. I think I get longer distance with the Sphinx than my RR. It has potential for a longer forehand disc with the glide and being understable. I'm not sure how long it will stay in the bag but so far it looks promising.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-23-2018, 01:22 PM
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
Is consistently flippier than a RR out of the box? If so I may grab a Sphinx (or an Aries) and a Pharoah. The only thing I hate about Infinite is the $150 free shipping. Hopefully they will branch out to MSt and DGC, if they pull a DD like move, watch for the fire sale.
I haven't thrown my Star Roadrunner in a good long while, but I can safely say the Sphinx is more understable out of the box than a fresh, new Star Sidewinder. Also, in my range work today, the Sphinx showed a tendency to fade back pretty nicely at the end of its flight, which was especially good when it turned over into a mild headwind.

And yes, Infinite's shipping costs have gone up and are getting bad, especially if one orders multiple discs. It used to be they were cheaper than DGC but that was offset by the shipping costs. Now, Infinite is much higher. I generally go to them when I have to be sure of the color, or if they're the only ones with the disc I want in the weights I want, and I tend to order fewer discs to keep the shipping from getting really bad...

Last edited by SD86; 06-23-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 217 Times in 109 Posts

I’d be curious to know what mold pieces this disc uses. Certain types of shots I prefer the sidewinder to the roadrunner and vice versa...wonder where this would fit in.

I was excited about the tdx, but for me it was a weird disc. Flew more like a cd2 than anything else I felt. I didn’t keep it long enough to beat it to flippy, mine was a 167...not like it was super heavy.

Old 06-23-2018, 02:34 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 106 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I was surprised that my search for a Sphinx thread yielded no results, so here goes a new one:

Just got my 167g I-blend Sphinx in, and it is yet another grand slam home run for Infinite Discs. The I-blend plastic ("I" stands for "Infinite", I think) is not Shimmer Star or GStar, as I'd feared it might be. It's like the softer Star plastic in my Star Roc3 and Mako3 from a couple of years ago, maybe like Pro that didn't quite make it to full-blown firm Star material. But it feels just fine, grips well.

The Sphinx's numbers are 9,6,-3,1. Not sure if the glide is quite that, but the Sphinx is understable fresh out of the box. Like a beginning-to-season-in Star Sidewinder or fresh Fury kind of understable. It turned over nicely on a couple of drives, with a bit of fade back. (One drive was downhill, so it had some more room to fade back.).

The Sphinx is right there as a Speed 9 Mamba/Vulcan type of disc. I look forward to seeing how durable the I-blend plastic is, and if the Sphinx holds its numbers or gets even more US and flippier. I also look forward to testing it as a roller; I suspect it will be a good one.

If this keeps up, I might end up with an All-Infinite bag(!).

I've been thinking about an All-Infinity bag. I'm a noodle-armed geezer, so I rarely throw distance drivers. I'm also a minimalist, so I only need six discs: slightly OS fairway, slightly US fairway, slightly OS mid, slightly US mid, an approach putter, and a putting putter. Depending on the Anubis, I could be set.

Hey, Infinity, if someone won the Michigan Senior Olympics with an all-Infinity bag, would you sponsor them? Just asking for a friend...

Niced: (2)