#1  
Old 06-22-2018, 02:56 PM
SD86's Avatar
SD86 SD86 is online now
Snowflake
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Courses Played: 8
Posts: 9,162
Niced 2,208 Times in 1,623 Posts
Default Infinite Discs Sphinx

I was surprised that my search for a Sphinx thread yielded no results, so here goes a new one:

Just got my 167g I-blend Sphinx in, and it is yet another grand slam home run for Infinite Discs. The I-blend plastic ("I" stands for "Infinite", I think) is not Shimmer Star or GStar, as I'd feared it might be. It's like the softer Star plastic in my Star Roc3 and Mako3 from a couple of years ago, maybe like Pro that didn't quite make it to full-blown firm Star material. But it feels just fine, grips well.

The Sphinx's numbers are 9,6,-3,1. Not sure if the glide is quite that, but the Sphinx is understable fresh out of the box. Like a beginning-to-season-in Star Sidewinder or fresh Fury kind of understable. It turned over nicely on a couple of drives, with a bit of fade back. (One drive was downhill, so it had some more room to fade back.).

The Sphinx is right there as a Speed 9 Mamba/Vulcan type of disc. I look forward to seeing how durable the I-blend plastic is, and if the Sphinx holds its numbers or gets even more US and flippier. I also look forward to testing it as a roller; I suspect it will be a good one.

If this keeps up, I might end up with an All-Infinite bag(!).
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-22-2018, 03:36 PM
PMantle's Avatar
PMantle PMantle is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alexandria, La.
Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,068
Niced 846 Times in 575 Posts
Default

Is the wing the same as one of the Innova 9s?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-22-2018, 04:05 PM
SD86's Avatar
SD86 SD86 is online now
Snowflake
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Courses Played: 8
Posts: 9,162
Niced 2,208 Times in 1,623 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
Is the wing the same as one of the Innova 9s?
I'll see if I can take and upload some pics later on, but I pulled out some Valks, Sidewinders, and my one Star Roadrunner and eyeballed them with the Sphinx.

The bottom piece of the Sphinx is like the Roadrunner. They both have underside rims that "bulge", i.e. are slightly convex, while the Sidewinder and Valkyrie are concave. The top piece of the Sphinx is not like the Roadrunner nor Sidewinder at all; it's a lot more Valkyrie-"ish". So maybe the Sphinx is a Valk/Roadrunner combination.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-22-2018, 05:08 PM
Grippenripp Grippenripp is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Morrow OH.
Courses Played: 9
Posts: 2,324
Niced 725 Times in 508 Posts
Default

A valkrunner? Sounds fun!

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-22-2018, 07:33 PM
rayoflight rayoflight is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Courses Played: 9
Posts: 55
Niced 34 Times in 19 Posts
Default

I'd be interested to hear how fast it wears, if anyone wants to check back in after throwing the disc for a couple months. These understable-when-fresh drivers can either get better or worse as they age depending on how fast they get flippy and how much you can control them after they get to 7/10 or 6/10 territory.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-22-2018, 07:56 PM
ILUVSMGS18 ILUVSMGS18 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Keeseville, NY
Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 1,691
Niced 444 Times in 324 Posts
Default

Is consistently flippier than a RR out of the box? If so I may grab a Sphinx (or an Aries) and a Pharoah. The only thing I hate about Infinite is the $150 free shipping. Hopefully they will branch out to MSt and DGC, if they pull a DD like move, watch for the fire sale.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-23-2018, 11:21 AM
RFrance RFrance is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Tampa, FL
Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 988
Niced 314 Times in 190 Posts
Default

I've been throwing a Sphinx for about a month now and like it. It is my hyzer flip to laser straight with a slight fade at the end disc. It does have some sweet glide. I'm still trying to figure out the nuances on a flat throw. It will turn in a little wind but when calm I'm getting "S" curve to straight with a fade. Like I said, still trying to figure it out. I think I get longer distance with the Sphinx than my RR. It has potential for a longer forehand disc with the glide and being understable. I'm not sure how long it will stay in the bag but so far it looks promising.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-23-2018, 01:22 PM
SD86's Avatar
SD86 SD86 is online now
Snowflake
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Courses Played: 8
Posts: 9,162
Niced 2,208 Times in 1,623 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
Is consistently flippier than a RR out of the box? If so I may grab a Sphinx (or an Aries) and a Pharoah. The only thing I hate about Infinite is the $150 free shipping. Hopefully they will branch out to MSt and DGC, if they pull a DD like move, watch for the fire sale.
I haven't thrown my Star Roadrunner in a good long while, but I can safely say the Sphinx is more understable out of the box than a fresh, new Star Sidewinder. Also, in my range work today, the Sphinx showed a tendency to fade back pretty nicely at the end of its flight, which was especially good when it turned over into a mild headwind.

And yes, Infinite's shipping costs have gone up and are getting bad, especially if one orders multiple discs. It used to be they were cheaper than DGC but that was offset by the shipping costs. Now, Infinite is much higher. I generally go to them when I have to be sure of the color, or if they're the only ones with the disc I want in the weights I want, and I tend to order fewer discs to keep the shipping from getting really bad...

Last edited by SD86; 06-23-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-23-2018, 02:28 PM
dehaas dehaas is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Swansea, IL
Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 2,051
Niced 217 Times in 109 Posts
Default

I’d be curious to know what mold pieces this disc uses. Certain types of shots I prefer the sidewinder to the roadrunner and vice versa...wonder where this would fit in.

I was excited about the tdx, but for me it was a weird disc. Flew more like a cd2 than anything else I felt. I didn’t keep it long enough to beat it to flippy, mine was a 167...not like it was super heavy.
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 06-23-2018, 02:34 PM
TKWolverine TKWolverine is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 354
Niced 106 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I was surprised that my search for a Sphinx thread yielded no results, so here goes a new one:

Just got my 167g I-blend Sphinx in, and it is yet another grand slam home run for Infinite Discs. The I-blend plastic ("I" stands for "Infinite", I think) is not Shimmer Star or GStar, as I'd feared it might be. It's like the softer Star plastic in my Star Roc3 and Mako3 from a couple of years ago, maybe like Pro that didn't quite make it to full-blown firm Star material. But it feels just fine, grips well.

The Sphinx's numbers are 9,6,-3,1. Not sure if the glide is quite that, but the Sphinx is understable fresh out of the box. Like a beginning-to-season-in Star Sidewinder or fresh Fury kind of understable. It turned over nicely on a couple of drives, with a bit of fade back. (One drive was downhill, so it had some more room to fade back.).

The Sphinx is right there as a Speed 9 Mamba/Vulcan type of disc. I look forward to seeing how durable the I-blend plastic is, and if the Sphinx holds its numbers or gets even more US and flippier. I also look forward to testing it as a roller; I suspect it will be a good one.

If this keeps up, I might end up with an All-Infinite bag(!).


I've been thinking about an All-Infinity bag. I'm a noodle-armed geezer, so I rarely throw distance drivers. I'm also a minimalist, so I only need six discs: slightly OS fairway, slightly US fairway, slightly OS mid, slightly US mid, an approach putter, and a putting putter. Depending on the Anubis, I could be set.

Hey, Infinity, if someone won the Michigan Senior Olympics with an all-Infinity bag, would you sponsor them? Just asking for a friend...

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
October's Halloween Discs Galore at Infinite Discs Todd@InfiniteDiscs Commercial Marketplace 0 10-10-2018 11:03 AM
The New Infinite Discs SPHINX Driver and MYTH Putter Todd@InfiniteDiscs Commercial Marketplace 1 05-03-2018 09:58 PM
Las Vegas Challenge Tournament Support Discs at Infinite Discs Todd@InfiniteDiscs Commercial Marketplace 0 10-30-2017 07:57 PM
Infinite Discs joshuajames General Disc Golf Chat 3 07-18-2017 06:54 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.