Old 03-18-2019, 10:28 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,208 Times in 1,623 Posts

After reading this and other threads, one thing comes to my mind: no matter what one does, it won't be right. By that, I mean that any course made for the TOP pros like McBeth, McMahon, Sexton, etc., will have way-over-par scores for even the 'normal' pros, much less casual players.

And any course that is par for even good pros will still be torn up by the very top level pros we see on these top cards. They're just that good. And I've come to the conclusion that that is not going to change, no matter what.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2019, 10:39 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 106
Niced 227 Times in 107 Posts

Loved watching the Waco coverage, I wouldn't change anything.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:40 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 672 Times in 321 Posts

Was it more windy at Waco last year? Wind can affect the scores significantly on the park section of the course. R1 this year had some serious wind but R2 an R3 didn’t. Jerm throwing -15 in those conditions is almost as impressive as Paul’s-18 the next day in better conditions.

I agree that we’re entering a season of player development outpacing course development. We saw glimpses of it last year at places like Konopiste where Eagle, Ricky, and Simon all went -16, Eagle doing it twice. High level courses giving up -15 plus with any consistency is a recent development.

Without doing the hard research, it seems that it’s the courses with very scorable par 4’s and par 5’s that are giving up the really big rounds. The easiest solution would obviously be to just tighten the par on a couple holes. Adjusting the holes themselves would be more fun, though, and I love some of the suggestions in this thread already. Making Waco 18 an island would be killer. Rope or wall?

Niced: (2)
Old 03-18-2019, 10:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,830 Times in 1,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
After reading this and other threads, one thing comes to my mind: no matter what one does, it won't be right. By that, I mean that any course made for the TOP pros like McBeth, McMahon, Sexton, etc., will have way-over-par scores for even the 'normal' pros, much less casual players.

And any course that is par for even good pros will still be torn up by the very top level pros we see on these top cards. They're just that good. And I've come to the conclusion that that is not going to change, no matter what.
I don't think you're wrong, but should that stop us from striving to build ever more challenging courses for pros and ams alike? Part of that building process is talking about (not complaining about) the way these players score so well and finding ways to design courses that better challenge them.

Frankly, I don't think we should be all that concerned if "normal" pros can't break par on courses used at elite level events. That's how it works in ball golf. The players who are on the PGA tour are all the equivalent of our 1030+ rated players, and they routinely shoot over par at tournaments. Their version of 990-1010 "pros" are the club pros...players who can't crack the tour if they wanted to. Someday we will grow to that point as well. It'd be great if we have courses to match the talent on tour.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:57 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 101
Niced 614 Times in 286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
I think Simon tried to go over everything on that hole 17 at Waco one year. . but i dont think he ever made it
I believe it was last year when Ricky tried it and went OB, then tried it again from where he went OB (prob 40-50 ft closer) and he made it in bounds AND canned the putt. One of the silliest par saves I have ever seen.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-18-2019, 11:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 87
Niced 1,810 Times in 740 Posts

This is an interesting read:

https://udisc.com/blog/post/which-wa...at-waco-or-glo

Old 03-18-2019, 11:09 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 13
Niced 416 Times in 162 Posts

I don't know that there is a problem, per se, but it seems some of the par 4s and 5s are a little too routine for the top players. Hole 18 at Waco is an example of that. Making it an island helps a bit, but the fact is it takes probably 450 feet of power with a hyzer to get an easy layup for deuce or a putt for eagle. There is no obstacle to throw around. Maybe there need to be some trees that prevent the power hyzer, forcing players to go straight at it or throw a turnover if they want to go for eagle? It has to be a par 4, because it is a two-shot hole for anyone with much less than 450 feet of power (I'm saying 450 because Uli parked it for eagle, and he has stated he has about 450 feet of power).
Old 03-18-2019, 11:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,507 Times in 861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
Wow, nice work.

Would be fun to see statistics like that for "the best round ever" . . I think the -18 at GLO should be the highest rated round of all time

Niced: (2)
Old 03-18-2019, 11:21 AM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.6
Courses Played: 366
Niced 1,714 Times in 842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
They did a good job with that.

Of course, if par had been set correctly, GLO would have been -15 and WACO would have been -12 and we wouldn't need all this work and discussion to figure out which round was better.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:34 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 6
Niced 117 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
I think Simon tried to go over everything on that hole 17 at Waco one year. . but i dont think he ever made it
He actually did the over the top shot in the final round (maybe you already watched the Jomez video), and not only did he clear the woods, he threw OVER THE WATER onto hole 18! He saved the par and didn't even lose that disc.