Old 10-17-2019, 09:52 AM

Courses Played: 5
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Sanctioned event

Forgive my noobness on the following question.

Next year I would like to play in a few tournaments where I'm from in the amateur/recreational division. That being said I'd like to accumulate a player rating to see just how bad I actually am. My question is this:

What makes a tournament sanctioned? Is it simply that it is a PDGA hosted event? If so, does any tier event from A to C go towards calculating your player rating?

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2019, 09:56 AM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 170
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 728 Times in 333 Posts

Majors, NT's, A, B and C tiers will all go into your player rating as long as there are enough people playing in the event to calculate ratings (I forget how many propagators there needs to be). A sanctioned event will be listing on the PDGA site in the Event Tab under Event Schedule and and Results. If you are unsure if the event is sanctioned just send the Tournament Director a message and they should be able to help you out.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-17-2019, 09:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 47.9
Courses Played: 60
Niced 372 Times in 206 Posts

PDGA.com has many answers. Read through the site like a toilet book.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:34 AM

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thank you for all the input! I will continue to scour the PDGA website.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 131
Niced 734 Times in 326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_marine View Post
Thank you for all the input! I will continue to scour the PDGA website.
Events are either unsanctioned or PDGA sanctioned. Anybody or any Club can put on an unsanctioned event which is generally a little cheaper and allows for more freedom or leeway on rules for the event. Generally speaking these have a more casual vibe to them even though players are expected to follow the PDGA rules when applicable. For example event may allow you to flip your disc for marking rather than use a mini, or no out of bounds play it where it lies kind of tweaks.

PDGA sanctioned events are expected to follow the rules and guidelines for PDGA events based on what tier they are, C-tier being the lowest. You are expected to be a PDGA member or pay an extra $10 per event for non-members, everyone is expected to follow the PDGA rules. These have a more formal feel to them as they should. Your rounds here are rated based on the field of players and the course & tees being played. All tiers (C, B, A, NT, etc...) go towards building your player rating. Note, X-tiers usually do not count as these have something in place that makes them X status (ie Glow tournaments are usually X-tiers).

You might want to look up some of the tournaments you are thinking about playing in and if they are annual events you can look up last years results and see how the scores were rated that day. This will give you an idea of where you might rate out by comparing your scores to those listed. Good luck!

Old 10-17-2019, 11:04 AM

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thank you so much for the extensive answer. I had a few questions answered in that one post. Awesome. Again, thanks so much
Old 10-17-2019, 11:12 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 131
Niced 734 Times in 326 Posts

Quote:
Thank you so much for the extensive answer. I had a few questions answered in that one post. Awesome. Again, thanks so much
Happy to help a fellow Michigander.

If you dont have a profile on Disc Golf Scene I suggest that be your next step. Best place for Michigan DG'ers to find events, leagues, tournaments and stuff as well as making it really easy to sign up for them.

Also, not sure if you are or are considering becoming a PDGA member but its getting close to that time of year where you can sign up for a membership and get the last couple months of this year and all of next year by signing up. Right around 5 sanctioned tournaments is the magic #, if you plan to play less than 5 then maybe pay as you go ($10/event). But if you plan to play 5 or more sanctioned events then becoming a member ($50/year) is the way to go. Note, you wont be able to see your overall player rating unless you are a member. You can see how each round was rated by looking at the tournament results on PDGA site, but your player rating will be hidden if you are not a member.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:42 AM

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future_Primitive View Post
Happy to help a fellow Michigander.

If you dont have a profile on Disc Golf Scene I suggest that be your next step. Best place for Michigan DG'ers to find events, leagues, tournaments and stuff as well as making it really easy to sign up for them.

Also, not sure if you are or are considering becoming a PDGA member but its getting close to that time of year where you can sign up for a membership and get the last couple months of this year and all of next year by signing up. Right around 5 sanctioned tournaments is the magic #, if you plan to play less than 5 then maybe pay as you go ($10/event). But if you plan to play 5 or more sanctioned events then becoming a member ($50/year) is the way to go. Note, you wont be able to see your overall player rating unless you are a member. You can see how each round was rated by looking at the tournament results on PDGA site, but your player rating will be hidden if you are not a member.
Greetings from Auburn Hills!

I do have a account with DGS so I will keep that in mind. I also do plan on joining the PDGA for the rating. Due to prior work obligations I will be looking to join around the first of the year in time to kick off 2020.

Thanks again for your help!

Old 10-17-2019, 01:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 19
Niced 976 Times in 575 Posts

Quote:
Next year I would like to play in a few tournaments where I'm from in the amateur/recreational division. That being said I'd like to accumulate a player rating to see just how bad I actually am.
I would also suggest a few local "paid" minis where you compete with other players if you haven't done so, before you start playing in pdga tournaments. This will help you understand the rules, get a feel for how good you are, etc. Plus notice I said "paid" minis. Paying to play vs free casual rounds with your friends can have very different effects on your overall enjoyment of the game. Hence, many players never compete in pdga events. Good luck!