Old 10-30-2019, 04:28 PM

Courses Played: 4
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Throwing putter suggestions

Hey guys, So I'm a new player, but I'd say I'm more of an intermediate skill level. One of the things I need to fix is being uncomfortable teeing off with a putter. My putting putter is a DD Judge 176, classic blend and I love it. I've got several others in my bag right now and I don't like throwing off the tee with any of them (XT Nova, Wizard, Deputy, Judge).

I think it's probably a mental thing, but none of them feel comfortable in my hand on a tee pad. I have no problem throwing them all 200-250' though. I was given the suggestion to pick up a mold that was more shallow, so I've got a Westside Maiden coming in.

Any suggestions on some other putters I might want to try? I had the Aviar in the starter pack and hated it. I didn't realize until after I wrote it off that it was a 154g.

Side note: I've got a pair of Nuke SS's that I'm not using if anyone is interested. One is a first run.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2019, 04:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 51
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 288 Times in 180 Posts

Likely a lot of people will suggest:

Pure - stable/US. Good disc. Put on some hyzer it’ll pop up and fly straight.
Envy - great feel. One of my favs. A little on the OS side. The Electrons feel more shallow than the premiums.
Proxy - straighter envy.
Reko - kind of like a pure in awesome plastic.

I have been bagging the Tomb. It is going to be similar to the maiden, but comes in premium plastic. It’s shallow, straight to a little fade.

Generally shallower putters are going to be faster. Something to consider.

Old 10-30-2019, 04:41 PM
Par Member

Niced 38 Times in 26 Posts

If you want to stick with Dynamic, give the Warden a try, if you wanna venture out to different companies I really like the Roach from Discraft. Just wipe the stamp if you go Big Z. But after venturing out to different molds I always came back to a stiff wizard for driving.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Niced: (1)
Old 10-30-2019, 04:46 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 23
Niced 62 Times in 33 Posts

As previously stated, the Pure is a great option, very straight.

Gateway has a nice lineup of shallow putters: Shaman, Chief, and Chief OS. I used these molds to learn short approach forehands.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,145 Times in 576 Posts

What exactly do you not like about throwing them? Everything you listed would be considered a good throwing/driving putter.

Maybe your best bet is picking one, buying a few more of that mold, and practicing throwing with that disc a lot more.

Old 10-30-2019, 04:58 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 27
Niced 458 Times in 281 Posts

I had the same struggles for a while with hand feel on putters. Turns out that shallow putters just feel better for driving in my hand.

The suggestion to try the Maiden seems spot on, assuming you have the same feel issue. I personally bag an Envy/Proxy combo and love it. The only shortcoming of shallow throwing putters like Maiden/Envy/Proxy is that they're typically a little on the fast side. As such you may find that you lose a little touch on those short approaches that are just out of jump putting range. In that type of situation, I will sometimes just use my putting putter (Crown) for the approach in lieu of the Envy/Proxy.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-30-2019, 05:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 48
Niced 849 Times in 576 Posts

Pure
Old 10-30-2019, 05:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 31
Niced 338 Times in 170 Posts

Your hand (and head) will adapt to just about anything you put in there. Just keep practicing, preferably with the same mold, and it will eventually feel fine. Switching between putters will only slow the progress.

Old 10-30-2019, 05:14 PM

Courses Played: 4
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
What exactly do you not like about throwing them? Everything you listed would be considered a good throwing/driving putter.

Maybe your best bet is picking one, buying a few more of that mold, and practicing throwing with that disc a lot more.
I think it's the rim height. They all just feel uncomfortable which gets in my head. I can throw every one of the ones I listed if I need to, but the way they all sit in my hand doesn't feel right. Even really wide rimmed distance drivers feel better to me. I think it's just personal preference over ability to throw a particular mold. (Some context, when I played baseball and football I was extremely picky about the way the laces felt on my hand. I must just be a diva)

Old 10-30-2019, 05:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,145 Times in 576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Fairbanks.1023 View Post
They all just feel uncomfortable which gets in my head.
I totally understand that. Which is why it's hard to recommend putters, even for throwing - there is a very real element of comfort with feel that you have to take into consideration.