Old 01-27-2011, 06:05 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 118
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default DX teebird

So the other day I found a 6/10 DX Teebird and there was no name on it, so I put it in a pile of loaner discs. For some reason, I put it in my bag today and went out to play a round.... HOLY GUACAMOLE!! This disc does EXACTLY as I command. It is a whole different disc than my current champ teebirds at least one of which is just as beat if not more and right in the same weight range. I can put it out at least 15ft farther with the same effort, it holds a suuuper tight line and will flex/fade slightly/finish straight/ or hold an anny with different amounts of snap/power seemingly easier than my champs.
....now I feel like I have been missing out on something I just never really understood.
Does anyone cycle through DX drivers (particularly Teebirds) in diff stages of wear, or is it just not worth it b/c the break in period is too quick?

Sorry if this is a noob question, but I have always just assumed that DX drivers = crap after a few rounds with some tree hits.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2011, 06:06 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 26
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm a noob, but one of the first things I remember hearing when I starting getting into disc golf was "get dx teebirds". I have 2 at different stages of wear.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 7
Niced 52 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmzane View Post
....now I feel like I have been missing out on something I just never really understood.
Does anyone cycle through DX drivers (particularly Teebirds) in diff stages of wear, or is it just not worth it b/c the break in period is too quick?

Sorry if this is a noob question, but I have always just assumed that DX drivers = crap after a few rounds with some tree hits.
Thanks
That's exactly how I do it and how I recommend doing it. Most fairway driver and slower discs work really well in low end plastics. They don't beat up all that fast, they stay in the "sweet spot" for quite a while and are easier to control and longer than their higher grade plastic counterparts.

One time I asked a big arm thrower at DGR (Mike Robinson, if it matters) why he throws Champ Teebirds over DX and he said it was because they flew too far. With his power it was difficult to "range" them because of their lack of fade. It wasn't because they got flippy or beat up too fast, it's because they flew to far. While that may be a problem for someone who can hit 500' pretty easily, most of us find that a disc flying farther with little fade to be a good thing.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:23 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I always keep at least one dx teebird and leo in my bag. I do also have more that I use when I practice, to beat em up. When beat to about 6 or 7/10, I set them aside. The courses around me have these laying all over the place, wich is good cause dx doesnt last long. For flight I like dx. Also, I think a dx teebird, dx valk, and r-pro boss are the only discs recorded to be thrown over 800'. So for distance, thats gotta say something.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 168
Niced 167 Times in 100 Posts

One of the great things about dx teebirds is their tendency to lose lss before hss. This means they are resistant to turn-over while finishing fairly straight.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:41 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 118
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I hope this doesn't phase out my champs, I just bought more backups recently to further ensure that I have a lifetime supply....

Does DX fight wind as well as the premium plastics?
Old 01-27-2011, 06:50 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

In my opinion, no. I still use a champ and star also. Your dx will bomb with a tail wind by more than 15' though.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 71
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Like garu said it's good for slower drivers like teebirds and valks. Faster than that and the thinner, wider rim gets deformed too much from impact.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:25 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 33
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
I hope this doesn't phase out my champs, I just bought more backups recently to further ensure that I have a lifetime supply....

Does DX fight wind as well as the premium plastics?
DX typically fights wind as well when new, but obviously not as much when beaten in. I carry at least 2 TB, sometimes more, but always an 11x Champ for stability and a beaten in DX for longer straighter throws and turnovers. A TB/Leopard pairing works nicely also.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:43 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not to scare yah, but a full powered tree hit will probably kill a DX Teebird happened to me whole edge was so sloped and warped it was ridiculous. My advice is to save your money ones and use something else for the woods.