*Administrator*

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 257
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 893 Times in 295 Posts
Default Disc Golf on the Wii

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories...t_137190.shtml

Quote:
Children and those young at heart could be playing a different sport next year on their Nintendo Wii video game console - one that has a direct connection to Columbia County - disc golf.

"I've been contacted by two different (software) companies who are both interested in making disc golf games for the Wii," said Brian Graham, an Augusta resident and the executive director of the Professional Disc Golf Association, which is managing a new International Disc Golf Center at Wildwood Park in Appling.

The Wii is an interactive video game console that allows play with arm movements using a handheld controller. Disc golf, meanwhile, has rules similar to golf but involves using a flying disc instead of a golf ball and clubs.

Mr. Graham said he was approached recently about two game ideas: one that would focus on some of the top players of the game, another that would be a partnership with the PDGA "and may possibly even take one of the courses out here at the IDGC (at Wildwood) and make that a digital course that you can play."

Development of such games, he said, is in the early stages, "but they've started the communication on it."

One of the software companies is Autonomous Productions, based in Redwood City, Calif. Shayne Guiliano, the studio director for Autonomous, said there do not seem to be any major obstacles keeping his company from developing a disc golf game for the Wii.

"Our tentative plans are to release a game sometime middle or late next year," he said. "... The Wii is obviously a great platform ... and we just think it's perfectly suited for what we want to do for a disc golf game."
Mr. Guiliano said the game most likely will be downloadable at a cost of about $10 to $15 through a new Wii service called Wii Ware.

"We're looking at re-creating some of the famous courses, working with Brian (Graham) and that organization to make sure that the game is authentic, and kind of take people through the steps of becoming a professional disc golfer," he said.

Mr. Graham says such interest in disc golf says a lot about the game's growing popularity.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2007, 12:57 PM

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 49
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Ezemp

that will be interesting. i think i'd rather go outside and do it. But interesting.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:12 PM
*Administrator*

Not sure if I'd want to go outside when there is 3 feet of snow on the ground but I know there are people out there that are into that. How do people find discs when they play in the winter anyway?

I think if it ever does happen it'll just be an amusing little game.. it obviously can't compete with the real deal
Old 07-31-2007, 02:32 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 390
Niced 20 Times in 7 Posts

As someone who comes from a heavy skateboarding background I can't begin to describe how many kids took up skateboarding after playing the Tony Hawk games. I'm sure a DG wouldn't be as inspiring but it could only help to add to our numbers.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:53 PM
*Administrator*

I should pick up one of the latest Tony Hawk's. I think I stopped playing them on #3, it just got a little too repetitive. I was a bigger fan of the Thrasher game on PS1, it just seemed more realistic but that doesn't sell as well and I think I was one of 5 people that ever had a chance to play it. In case you couldn't guess, I also come from a heavy skateboarding background.

Back to the Wii game, I think if they did it right it could definitely spark interest in the sport. The only other DG games I've seen out there were pretty horrible.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:44 PM

Courses Played: 16
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg View Post
I was a bigger fan of the Thrasher game on PS1, it just seemed more realistic but that doesn't sell as well and I think I was one of 5 people that ever had a chance to play it.
I guess 2/5ths of those are on this board, 'cause I've played it too! There is another DG game out there - think they had it for PS2 and Xbox. Never played it, the wii controller might add some fun though...
Old 08-01-2007, 06:46 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 67
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'll definitely be picking up a wii - and will definitely wait until this game launches! I've been talking with my friends about how logical and awesome it'd be to have a dg game on wii - exciting news for sure.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:47 PM
*Administrator*

Well the game isn't guaranteed but I'd recommend getting a Wii anyway, it's a fun system to have.. especially if you invite a bunch of friends over.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:00 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

As one who lives in a city (NY) where the nearest course is a 45 minute drive, I'm really excited to have something like this on the nights in between weekends just to keep my head in the game. Plus I really do think it'll be a lot of fun for folks who have heard about it, but who haven't gotten the chance to play yet. . . yay for wii!

Old 08-21-2007, 03:50 PM

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 6
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah, i'd be down with a disc golf game for the wii.

all kidding aside, the sensors in the wii-motes are pretty sensitive and if done properly, it could be a really cool concept...