Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: Which are you?
DG Sadist 5 8.62%
DG Masochist 20 34.48%
This thread is stupid 33 56.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2013, 07:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.5
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default DG S&M

Name something about disc golf that you enjoy which could qualify as either sadistic or masochistic (obviously using very loose definitions of those words for the intent of this thread)...are you a super-competitive player who LOVES to be the "bagger," dominating your division and usually winning by multiple strokes, relishing the glares of the haters? That would be DG sadism. Do you get your thrills playing solo on extremely rugged mountain/desert courses that require you to pack like an experienced hiker and probably result in at least one lost disc per round? I think we can consider that DG masochism.

Myself, if I had to pick something it would definitely be on the "M" side...one of my favorite weather conditions to play in is dense fog...maybe not too extreme, but I LOVE watching my disc disappear into thick mist 250' out and wonder if it held its line, hit something and kicked off some weird direction, etc. I enjoy this best on courses that I know pretty well, so that might knock me down a few notches on the masochist spectrum as opposed to playing completely unknown courses in less-than-ideal visibility. I also get a pretty big kick out of playing in strong wind, which we get plenty of along the Lake Michigan shoreline...though I prefer sustained winds over big random gusts.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2013, 07:26 PM
Banned

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

i'm neither a spaniard nor a mexican
Old 10-30-2013, 07:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 40
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I voted "stupid" because that best describes me.
I'm old and not sure what the other options mean.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 64
Niced 41 Times in 23 Posts

Masochist because I still play this damn game even though I never seem to improve. Plus I pay to enter tournaments and monthlys against far superior competition and usually lose by double digits. Just holding out for that day when I DON'T come in DFL...
Old 10-30-2013, 08:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 19 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-mart View Post
Masochist because I still play this damn game even though I never seem to improve. Plus I pay to enter tournaments and monthlys against far superior competition and usually lose by double digits. Just holding out for that day when I DON'T come in DFL...
Same here. Also because I can't wait for the cold and snow of winter golf.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:19 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 34
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm a sadist but not in the terms listed above. I just like to beat people that are as good as or better than me and still get called a bagger. I'm in no way a bagger, though. I just feel if I enter into any competitive event wether they be friend or for outside of the event, I must destroy them.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.5
Courses Played: 131
Niced 183 Times in 95 Posts

I want to play the toughest courses I can. The greater the challenge, the better.

Frustration is a wide open field with a basket in the middle of it. No obstacles = no fun.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:01 PM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 220
Niced 169 Times in 91 Posts

Hurts soo good.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 16
Niced 155 Times in 107 Posts

both.

as soon as any money of mine is in that pot, it's complete GAME ON and i start feeling completely different about the entire thing. i zone in majorly and every time you shank a shot i will feel giddy. i am a ruthless competitor as soon as something is on the line; it's so exhilarating i can't help it. i want to take you down.

however, during regular rounds if i shank something off the fairway i will throw every single disc that is applicable for that shot up the fairway and go get them, bring them back and then throw them again until i am satisfied that i have figured out EXACTLY what i did wrong and can verify that i have corrected myself.

i will also take different discs from my lie and figure out different ways to hit my lines and think creatively. i'll throw a pancake thumber, a tomahawk skip, a roller, etc and find new lines that may be easier despite the "trick shot" status. very useful and fun when you find a not-so-obvious line that just works easily, and the reaction you can get from the people who never thought about it is great too. i'll do this over and over again until i'm satisfied i've thought of every line.

because i don't play a lot of courses yet, i want to navigate each course every single way that i can. this way there will be fewer surprises when i wind up in a unique lie.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:09 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 140
Niced 417 Times in 185 Posts

I voted, but needed to vocalize as well.
This thread is stupid!