Old 10-08-2013, 11:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 172
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 162 Times in 81 Posts
Send a message via AIM to New013

Buzz I'm sure you're a good guy with a passion for the game because you put in all of this work to make this course happen but you honestly sound delusional with some of this stuff. The only major that will ever happen at this course is a major accident. Beyond the perceived safety issues a lot of the holes are boring hyzers or tedious OB laced monstrosities.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2013, 11:37 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 168
Niced 2,281 Times in 1,065 Posts

I'm not sure if it would be even logistically possible to hold a World's there, even if SPC was technically flawless. Seems like there would be too much driving between the World's worthy courses plus I don't know if the local DG community is big enough to pool volunteers from.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 172
Niced 162 Times in 81 Posts
Send a message via AIM to New013

BroD is right. What other courses in the area can support Worlds? The only course in that area that you could put a Pro Worlds on is Cedarock. With Am Worlds you need a higher abundance of courses in that area that are good enough and the numbers aren't there plus the driving would be crazy.

If Am Worlds comes back to NC it'll be Charlotte or Raleigh way before the Greensboro area gets anything.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:10 AM
Verified Jurkface

Yeah, you've got Springwood, Cedarock, and then maybe Rock Creek? Wellspring maybe could used for Juniors and I guess Women. It's a haul from there to anywhere else that would be good enough, Rock Ridge maybe in the future, Lake's Edge? If Roxboro was closer then maybe a chance.

Anyway, this course is pretty much set in Buzz's mind so further bickering is probably fruitless (albeit extremely entertaining). Best course of action is maybe figure out a layout in the future for red/blue level players that avoids trouble spots like hole 13. Something easy that could be squeezed out of the P&R or raised via tournament, like a couple of extra baskets and tees poured to break up really long/tough holes like 3 and 8 into a couple of holes apiece.

I'll think on this and try to get out to SPC this weekend to see how feasible that would be.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:38 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 26.3
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Especially with Barber Park being the mess that it is. You need to stop trying to make this course be what it will never be and concentrate on making it be the best course it can be. Let that be your legacy. Designing a course because the distance from tee to pin is 777ft or 999ft is just ridiculous. These numbers mean nothing to anyone but you. A long, straight hole is neither fun nor interesting, it's just long. It serves little purpose and it only corrupts your overall design. This is made even worse due to its proximity to OB's on both sides which one can expect to be occupied by innocent bystanders unaware of the danger. Golfers throwing out their arms to make par are likely to pull it right or push it left into civilian territory. The course has problems Buzz. Its certainly not perfect, but it could be good and maybe great if you'd swallow your pride and listen to some of the suggestions provided by all the different folks around here.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:40 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 26.3
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh, and this prolly ain't the best weekend to try to play Springwood. Fair warning.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:15 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 49.4
Courses Played: 75
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Wow...that stirred a hornets' nest

Sorry...Maybe it's time to move this thread from development to maintenance and equipment.
Regardless, some very good and not so good points made. Before looking back for specific ones, I'll address the ones that really stuck in my mind. Maybe I am too 'married' to the mystique of the concept of the 1000' hole. I guess it could be about as cool to describe the course as having a hard to par par 6 and two nearly 1000 foot 5's. And at this juncture, we are changing the text on the score card front page and the course overview sign to "Athletic field scoreboards and marked light poles on Holes 3, 4, 11, 12, and 13..." And speaking of 13...yeah, that 777' does have special personal meaning for me, but it is a good distance near the low end distance constituting a par 5. As for 13's tees being redundant, I have a future fix for that. As for it being too long, boring and close to other stuff...it is the utmost test of golf's (ball or disc) fundamental rudiment of how far and straight can you drive it? And boring is strictly in the eye of the beholder. At the tee end of the hole, it's 70' wide...at the green end, it's 55'. I have played the hole several times with soccer being played on the field directly adjacent to it. Even as much of a hack as I am, I haven't yet hit anyone and have had soccer fans and players say that the course is cool and that the two sports can coexist. And they appreciate the fact that we designed the OB and Mando's as we did. Yeah, it is possible that some dumb mass is going to have one get away from him or her and hit a spectator, but the researched odds of any resultant serious injury are astronomically remote.
As for my delusional dream...I figured the satellite courses to be Cedarock (perhaps both layouts, especially for the Ams), Wellspring (I still don't understand how it's considered unworthy, as it was for The Masters') Rock Creek (of course, that's now going to need some input from the county board of commissioners and Dean Coleman), Deep Creek (making 5 courses with Burlington addresses), Lake's Edge, Rock Ridge, Barber Park (with some redesign and at least rubber mat tees, and if necessary, Anderson Park (which some would say is unworthy, like they say Wellspring is when it really isn't, but it is a cool course, with unique features. I'd like to think and hope that by then, something positive will have transpired at Northeast Park, so that it could be a consideration. With all of that said, I still maintain that Burlington and The SPC has that which is needed to host such tournaments, including those soccer fields for the distance competitions and conducive areas for the putting and mini disc competitions.
Other points...BraveThrower, I wish I knew exactly at what or whom you're laughing. But that is a funny vid clip either way and regardless..
And finally, Jason...yes I am aware. And yes, technically flawless. But those two points point to the point that you are not the know all and end all, as you are convinced that you are, which is, I suppose an unintentional occupational hazard. The first rule of course design is knowing the land by actually physically traversing it and asking those who know about it about it. It can't be blindly designed on paper or computer screen as you did with your Springwood design and as has been done with Keeley Park. I am sorry that you feel that you have been so slighted and ignored by me and associates and by Tony. You weren't. Every suggestion you made and thought you expressed was considered and contemplated but deemed and determined to be not what we wanted to do. Yes, we built a blue/gold course with a designated red (even green) tee Rookie Run. It is not designed for the average or below average player to play at par, but it is designed for and open to them to play it according to the admonitions on the score cards and overview sign, so that they might improve their game. Exclamation Point!
Oh, I can't wait to get out there this weekend to work and play the course.

Last edited by BuzzSharpe; 10-09-2013 at 12:17 PM. Reason: additional thought
Old 10-09-2013, 12:37 PM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 528
Niced 743 Times in 319 Posts

Fun read. Keep up the good work.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:43 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 49.4
Courses Played: 75
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks, Adam. I see that you were in our general area back in January. If you're coming back this January, hope you can get by and play The SPC. #8's horror of the hillside should be alleviated by then.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:34 PM
Verified Jurkface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenacious EJ View Post
Oh, and this prolly ain't the best weekend to try to play Springwood. Fair warning.
Any particular shindig going down? Park wide LARPing going on? I've played it on a weekend with softball fields and all the soccer fields going full steam.