Old 01-22-2022, 09:57 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 15
Niced 38 Times in 22 Posts

I have started to use a newer run Champion Thunderbird, replacing my Walker Woodpecker TS Glow. That has become too rare and irreplaceable, and I almost lost it after working it in for 6 months, so it's going to hang out. It was also incredibly overstable, it was near identical in flight to a Sexton Firebird. I'd rank it at 9/4/0/3 and that's at its current stage of wear.

The new Champ one is an X out, but I think just for being double stamped. There are those tiny hazy bubbles in the very center of the rim, and it is certainly domier than the Walker TS. I got my friend a used Champ Thunderbird for Christmas, and I think they are from the same run. They are the UV reactive champ, and it has the same bubbles, and has a similar dome. Very stiff, and the used one less so. The used one is not F2/X-Out and I don't think the "micro-blizzarding" in the rim is really an issue that should be X-ed out.

I am really loving this replacement as it feels much truer to the 9/5/0/2 flight which is what I am looking for in this slot. Faster Teebird3 with better wind resistance and more action on the fade.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-22-2022, 10:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,485 Times in 848 Posts

So are the newer JK Thunderbirds anything special from a collector OR throwers perspective?
Old 01-23-2022, 07:56 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 135 Times in 90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedlings View Post
So are the newer JK Thunderbirds anything special from a collector OR throwers perspective?
I have one that I was using as a thrower. I’m
not into collection all that much but my impression is that it was widely run and is probably not going to end up as lucrative to collect as some of the sexy firebirds.

As a thrower I found it slightly more overstable than normal thunderbirds. Not a firebird by any means, but still noticeably more stable. At least for me.

Old 01-23-2022, 09:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,485 Times in 848 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by strunk flugget View Post
I have one that I was using as a thrower. I’m
not into collection all that much but my impression is that it was widely run and is probably not going to end up as lucrative to collect as some of the sexy firebirds.

As a thrower I found it slightly more overstable than normal thunderbirds. Not a firebird by any means, but still noticeably more stable. At least for me.
Thank you. I picked one up for almost nothing and remember not liking a Champ Thunderbird. I’ll go ahead and throw it a little to see if my feels have changed. I throw a Getaway in that spot.
Old 01-23-2022, 01:13 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 135 Times in 90 Posts

I’ve been throwing the eclipse insanity in that spot. It flies about how I was expecting the thunderbird to fly. That said the thunderbird is star and could break in if I gave it more throws. Which I might, just haven’t given it the time yet.
Old 03-17-2022, 10:39 AM
Par Member

Niced 65 Times in 39 Posts

I have a Champ Thunderbird that I really love, it goes far and is workable with decent glide but still a reliable fade. Not understable by any means but at least flies straight for a long while before fading. I then have three other Champ Thunderbirds that is legit almost as overstable as my Champ Firebirds. They start fading right out of my hand, doesn't fly anywhere and just dump out of the air even on a decent anhyzer. I've been trying to find a backup for my good Thunderbird and have been looking to move over to another mold just because the three backups that I've got have been duds.

How can I tell which ones are the straighter ones? The only thing I've seemed to notice is that the good one is a bit softer while the other ones are stiff and pop toppy.

For reference I throw my Destroyers ~140m and get the good Thunderbird out to ~130m, the OS ones I need to flex hard to maybe reach 110-115m.
Old 03-17-2022, 11:47 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 202 Times in 115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by auzcar View Post
How can I tell which ones are the straighter ones? The only thing I've seemed to notice is that the good one is a bit softer while the other ones are stiff and pop toppy.
Try g star if you are ok with the feel. Pro is really good but impossible to find. Dx are great off the shelf but don’t last as long obviously. Or get a thrashed star/champ from the used bin.

Old 05-14-2022, 08:42 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 202 Times in 115 Posts

Pro thunderbirds are available at disc golf center. It’s been a while since I’ve seen them anywhere. Also they have base M OLFs if you prefer that flavor.

Niced: (2)