Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

View Poll Results: What is your putting style?
Push (Wysocki, Feldberg) 8 14.55%
Spin (McMahon, Lizotte) 22 40.00%
Pitch (Locastro) 1 1.82%
Other/Hybrid 24 43.64%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2018, 02:47 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 20
Niced 352 Times in 162 Posts
Question Is there a consensus on best putting style?

I saw that one Feldberg clinic, with Climo, on bio-mechanically correct technique several times. I guess it stuck with me or maybe its the way those two talked about their putting style. I think Feldberg called it a push put, but its the form most people and pros seem to use. Based on the way that style was talked about and that most pros use some variation of it I took it as gospel that that was the "correct" way. It turns out that push putting is the least intuitive for me, but ive been forcing it for a while. Spin putting and however that style that Sexton uses is called are both more natural feeling to me. So my loooong winded question here is....Is that the disc golf "community's" consensus opinion that push putting, like Wysocki, is the way to go so much so that even if it doesn't feel good or right for me, I should pursue it anyway?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2018, 03:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,983 Times in 766 Posts

The best putting "style" for each individual is the one that is most comfortable and allows for the best ability to make the mechanics repeatable.

Old 06-30-2018, 03:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,685 Times in 1,669 Posts

I feel like all the great putters can use different styles. Ricky can full on spin putt in a low ceiling. McBeth can also run low ceiling putts. Spin putters like Eagle/Simon can also give it a half-go in tricky situations and not go 50' deep.

I'd say there is a mechanically correct way to do each putt style, but you have to decide the pro's and con's of each putting style for you. And the best way to do that is to learn all of the styles so you can blend them together or decide when to use one in a more pure form. If you normally spush putt and it's a windy day, then maybe you need to spin putt into the headwind for example.

This is coming from someone who can't spin putt and knows that it would be a benefit a time or two a round when I'm stuck underneath a branch from 20'+ out.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-30-2018, 04:17 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 589 Times in 291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder View Post
The best putting "style" for each individual is the one that is most comfortable and allows for the best ability to make the mechanics repeatable.
This
Old 06-30-2018, 05:52 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 10
Niced 48 Times in 32 Posts

Most people think push putting is best for short (under 15') putts because it has less moving parts. For the most part the consensus is that if a putting style, even if it's a friggin tomahawk putt ,works for you use it.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-30-2018, 06:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 717 Times in 426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtho View Post
Most people think push putting is best for short (under 15') putts because it has less moving parts. For the most part the consensus is that if a putting style, even if it's a friggin tomahawk putt ,works for you use it.
THIS. I can't push putt to save my life, but I can still putt pretty well...

Old 06-30-2018, 06:34 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 137 Times in 47 Posts

I am new to disc golf and to this forum......But one thing I have already figured out it that there is no consensus on anything!

Old 06-30-2018, 06:47 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19
Courses Played: 21
Niced 145 Times in 95 Posts

Whichever style gets you in the basket at any particular moment is the best putt IMO. Doesn’t matter what style you want, only what style gets it in. This has a lot of variables, one being yourself and your comfort level, others being physical barriers in the way. Sometimes you have nothing in the way and can go with whatever you want, in which case your personal opinion of which style is the best is usually the choice. I think to much is focused on maintaining ONE style, and less focus on making a repetitive routine and mindset that make all shot easier. That’s just my little input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-30-2018, 07:28 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 20
Niced 352 Times in 162 Posts

I hear what yalls layin down. Just checkin on this one because, like I said in OP, Feldberg is pretty definitive that he putts the "correct" way and that is the way it should be done. I also recall a video from a clinic by Stokely, version 2.0, where he says pretty certainly that the push putt is the better way....and that he used to be a spin putter, but now feels push putt to be superior. In contrast, in terms of various disc golf shot technique, there is a definite correct way to throw the backhand. Rather than keep assuming, I thought it best to ask and find out if putting technique had this well defined like the backhand. =)

So are you hybrid/other peoples using a spin/push mashup?

Old 06-30-2018, 07:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 64
Niced 255 Times in 145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorpro View Post
I am new to disc golf and to this forum......But one thing I have already figured out it that there is no consensus on anything!
We have a winner.